Author Topic: REAL WORLD: Special Hobby 1/72 RNZAF P-40K Kittyhawk NZ3061  (Read 1077 times)

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
REAL WORLD: Special Hobby 1/72 RNZAF P-40K Kittyhawk NZ3061
« on: November 12, 2021, 09:28:07 AM »
Hi all,
This kit was a birthday present to myself in August last year as I love P-40s, had liked the look of the Special Hobby kits, and am a sucker for RNZAF markings. The kit itself has lovely details and went together beautifully, the decals were well-behaved. The only issues I had were self-caused such as losing the correct canopy, and using a too-dark green for the top colour which somehow became even darker under Humbrol gloss. For various reasons I only added the finishing touches - painting the light lenses - today.

But I want more of these kits. It was a delight and, as long as I don't bring myself down by using the wrong colours, I expect the next (I want to get an E to honour a local pilot killed in a training accident) to be even better and more fun.

Photo of the real NZ3061 from "RNZAF The First Decade" by Charles Darby:
NZ3061 RNZAF The First Decade Charles Darby by Zac Yates, on Flickr

Special Hobby 1/72 P-40K-15 Kittyhawk NZ3061 by Zac Yates, on Flickr
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 01:10:21 PM by KiwiZac »
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Re: REAL WORLD: Special Hobby 1/72 RNZAF P-40K Kittyhawk NZ3061
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2021, 10:35:36 AM »
Nice build of a great subject Zac  :smiley:

In the photos, the effect of the Humbrol gloss is not too noticeable. Nor is the fit of your replacement canopy that bad - though, hopefully, the 'carpet monster' will eventually coughs up the original ...
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2021, 12:32:33 PM »
Nice build of a great subject Zac  :smiley:

In the photos, the effect of the Humbrol gloss is not too noticeable. Nor is the fit of your replacement canopy that bad - though, hopefully, the 'carpet monster' will eventually coughs up the original ...
Thank you! Unfortunately it's still darker than I'd like but live and learn *shrugs*.

As for the canopy? I found it two days ago  :icon_sueno:
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2021, 02:21:11 PM »
This is the way of things! I still haven't found the canopy hatch for (one of) my Tamiya 1/48 Beaufighters, & that was a two years, or more, ago. :-\

Nice build! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."