Author Topic: Dornier Do228 in Australian Army Service  (Read 1225 times)

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
Dornier Do228 in Australian Army Service
« on: January 03, 2022, 03:02:36 PM »
The Dornier Do228 in Australian Army Service

In 1995 the GAF GAF Nomad passed from Australian Army service.  Deemed “too dangerous to fly” because of an aerodynamic fault in its controllability - pilots refused to fly it.  The Australian Army was left high and dry without an aircraft to support it’s activities.  They searched high and low to find something, almost anything that suited their purposes.  They hit upon the Do228, a German product.  It was approximately the same size and performance as the Nomad but was safer to fly.  Armed with two GPMGs it fulfilled the role of a “gunship” and could directly support troops on the ground, circling above.  Normally, the aircraft was unarmed and it carried freight, personnel and Electronic and Psychological warfare teams and equipment used for tracking insurgents.

The Model

The model is a Revell one.  It was a fairly basic model out of the box.   This is my first since I had a stroke.   Any faults are because I couldn’t fully control my hand.   The markings and camouflage where basic and applied with a hairy stick.  Painted with a mix of Mouse House enamels and Vallejo paints.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: Dornier Do228 in Australian Army Service
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2022, 05:06:36 PM »
Good one, Brian! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2022, 11:18:08 PM »
Pretty nifty - I have not seen that variation of the National markings before, but it's pretty cool.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2022, 01:00:40 AM »
Pretty nifty - I have not seen that variation of the National markings before, but it's pretty cool.

Army. They've only ever used the kangaroo in white, red or black; as opposed to RAAF or RAN, who use the full roundel in either full colour or low-vis.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2022, 01:48:23 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2022, 06:58:03 AM »
Oh that looks perfect, you nailed that camo!

Unfortunately it's made me want a 1/72 Nomad 24 even more...
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates