Author Topic: Apophenia's Offerings  (Read 905373 times)

Offline Rafael

• El capitán del Cartón
  • Head of the Venezuelan Brigade
Re: Apophenia's Offerings
« Reply #226 on: March 22, 2012, 08:46:20 PM »
As EH pointed out :-* :-*

Rafa
I don't take life seriously. I'm not getting out of it alive anyways.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #227 on: March 23, 2012, 10:08:26 AM »
EH: Thanks for the refs. When I first heard of this scheme for Beauforts I was envisoning a 'solid' upper scheme of Dk Med Blue. But, if I understand correctly now, it was actually a 2-tone upper scheme of Dk and Lt Med Blue?
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline apophenia

« Reply #228 on: March 23, 2012, 10:10:16 AM »
This is a spin-off from my "Anything Goes" GB entry --  Avro Canada VTOL Fighters
http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=910.0

Avro Canada CF-117C Ares of 441 (Silver Fox) Sqn, 1 Wing, Baden-Soellingen. This aircraft carries a special, airshow scheme for the Ares' final year of Canadian Forces service. 441 flew the CF-117C in the tactical reconnaissance role (usually with the Vinten Vicon camera pod mounted). 441 Squadron flew the final CF-117 flight on 01 March 1986.
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #229 on: March 23, 2012, 11:02:50 AM »
nicely canuck...

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #230 on: March 24, 2012, 02:35:26 AM »
Me likey!
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #231 on: March 24, 2012, 02:50:22 AM »
Yowsa that's sleek and stunning! You & Mr Ysi would make a top-notch design bureau!

Cheers Brian. The YsiApo OKB perhaps? "We can paint it any colour you like but spats are mandatory!"

The Dash 8/Q Series keeps popping up elsewhere on the forum so here's an oldie ...

DROOL!!!!!!   :-* :-* :-* :-*

Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

« Reply #232 on: March 24, 2012, 03:06:22 AM »
EH: Thanks for the refs. When I first heard of this scheme for Beauforts I was envisoning a 'solid' upper scheme of Dk Med Blue. But, if I understand correctly now, it was actually a 2-tone upper scheme of Dk and Lt Med Blue?

I think it is still very much a bone of contention as to what the colour scheme really was but I for one would love to see more of the 2-tone!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 03:10:35 AM by Empty Handed »

Offline Silver Fox

• Talk to me Goose!
« Reply #233 on: March 24, 2012, 04:24:43 AM »
Love the Checkerbird Ares! I just might have to grab the Testors F-104 and Lear... wouldn't be perfect, but the Testors F-104 is 1/3 the cost of a proper 'G'.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #234 on: March 26, 2012, 06:55:03 AM »
Thanks guys! Here's another oldie ...

Offline Silver Fox

• Talk to me Goose!
« Reply #235 on: March 26, 2012, 09:15:39 AM »
Now that is an advanced trainer!
Would also make a grea tmodern Mosquito.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #236 on: March 26, 2012, 10:15:03 AM »
Thanks! I had in mind a cheap, early '60s COIN aircraft -- wing pylons, tip tanks/rocket pods, etc. I don't know if the steel-tube frame of the T-6/Harvard fuselage is actually wide enough to accommodate an ejector seat but the Sabre 6 canopy plopped on there nicely  ;D

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #237 on: March 26, 2012, 10:20:13 AM »
With this missing link you have found, the Harvards are Mustangs! Thanks! :-*

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #238 on: March 26, 2012, 10:23:28 AM »
So, is the engine a PT6 variant?  It's the only production engine I know of with the reverse flow to yield front exhausts.   That would be in keeping with what the airframe is stressed for rather than some over-powering engine.  You could probably locally modify the steel-tube fusealge to allow for fitting an ejection seat, so I'd not worry on that account.  Tip tanks (perhaps from Cavalier's Mustang conversions) with underwing rockets and rocket pods sound good, though I think I'd also want at least one gun pod under each wing for when I want to get a bit more "personal".

Offline apophenia

« Reply #239 on: March 27, 2012, 11:46:44 AM »
Yes, I had in mind the 680 shp PT6A-15AG. But I'm not sure when that model was introduced. For the early '60s, the lower-powered PT6A-6 or PT6A-11 might be more realistic.

For load, I was thinking wingtip pod/tanks as mentioned plus four underwing pylons. FN Herstal 7.62mm gun pods would be one option for the inboard pylons.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #240 on: March 27, 2012, 11:55:53 AM »
I like your load-out ideas, though I can see rockets under the outboard wings (much like Mustangs used in Korea) in addition to the other hardpoints.  It would be a challenge to do a similar aircraft powered by a T76/TPE331 of similar early-1960s vintage.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #241 on: March 28, 2012, 08:58:30 AM »
Yeah, the Garrett is pretty much contemporary with the PT6A. A little trickier arranging the exhaust outlet but, otherwise, a fairly straightforward T-6 conversion I'd think.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #242 on: March 31, 2012, 10:01:16 AM »
Attached is a summary image for my Anything Goes Group Build submission. The 'build thread' has potted histories for entire whif series of VTOL aircraft springing from the RW 1956 Avro Canada submission to the US Navy's TS-140 contest for a Mach 2 day fighter.

In this Avro Canada VTOL Fighter series, 21 aircraft are illustrated comprising 19 design variations. Check it out: http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=910.msg9958#msg9958

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #243 on: March 31, 2012, 10:48:08 AM »
Interesting, thanks for the link!

Offline apophenia

« Reply #244 on: April 01, 2012, 11:10:07 AM »
Thanks Tophe.

This one was inspired by Greg's concept for an RAF Ki.48 'Lily'. The tricky bit is fitting the RAF's torpedo and still having room for a belly gunner over 4' high! Let's just say that the Kyoto Mk.III replaced the belly gunner with remotely-controlled guns  ;)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 11:49:43 AM by apophenia »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #245 on: April 01, 2012, 12:06:03 PM »
Oh yeah!
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #246 on: April 01, 2012, 12:08:27 PM »
Thanks! I had in mind a cheap, early '60s COIN aircraft -- wing pylons, tip tanks/rocket pods, etc. I don't know if the steel-tube frame of the T-6/Harvard fuselage is actually wide enough to accommodate an ejector seat but the Sabre 6 canopy plopped on there nicely  ;D

I really like that PT-6 powered AT-6.  Nice and the bubble canopy certainly makes it look much more modern. 

As for as the space issues for a standard ejection seat go, there is an alternative to consider with the Stanley Yankee Extraction System.  It takes takes up far less room in the cockpit and was designed for slower or lower performance aircraft. 

Link to Kevin Coyne's Ejection Site pages for:

Stanley Yankee Extraction System Seat

Stanley Aviation Inc.

"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #247 on: April 01, 2012, 12:28:26 PM »
That is great, apophenia!  Of your recent profiles, I think this one's my favorite!  Very cool!

Cheers,

Logan

Offline apophenia

« Reply #248 on: April 02, 2012, 08:27:43 AM »
Thanks for the links Jeffry. That Stanley seat looks ideal ... and the timeframe is perfect for what I had in mind :)

Logan: Glad you like her. I was intrigued by Greg's suggestion of Japan coming into the war on Britain's side as per WWI. An ETO Japanese AAF aircraft didn't offer sufficient marking variation to tempt. I am toying with doing an RAAF version though. If Japan was an Ally, it rather makes sense for Australia to source imported aircraft from slightly closer to home.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #249 on: April 02, 2012, 11:52:08 AM »
Here's the RAAF 'Lily' that I threatened (I also took the opportunity to clean up some of the sloppier bits of the RAF version above).
------------------

The RAAF received Kawasaki Kyoto Mk.IIAs and Mk.IIIs from RAF stocks. Later Australia would order Kawasaki Type 99s directly from Japan. Since these aircraft would be medium bombers, they were given the name Kookaburra to distinguish them from the torpedo carriers.

Kookaburra marks followed the Kyoto sequence. The Mk.IV were essentially the Kyoto Mk.III with torpedo gear deleted. The Kookaburra Mk.V introduced more powerful (1,130 hp) Ha.115 engines and remotely-fired belly defence guns. Mk.VIs substituted US Bendix 250 CE turrets while Mk.VIs added nose guns. The Kookaburra Mk.VII replaced the fixed nose guns with 'package' guns on the side of the forward fuselage. Mk.VIIIs introduced surface search radar.

'Porky' is a Kookaburra Mk.VII based at Rabaul to safeguard Australia's Territory of New Guinea mandate. Armament is non-standard, mixing Mk.VI .303" nose guns with Mk.VII .50" package guns. Porky's mission symbols appear to be shown as milk bottles. Kookaburras of 15 Sqn saw comparitively little action but scored a notable success with the sinking of the German surface raider Komet off Bougainville.