Current and Finished Projects > Profiles and Pixels

dy031101's Mental Notes

<< < (95/98) > >>

finsrin:
Combo of color placement on F-102 design make it my favorite.

dy031101:
'Might as well further facilitate the comparison:

I have never seen any picture of a F-106 with its radome colour being anything other than black or orange/red.  That being said, I guess the world setting that I put this project under technically allows me to do whatever I want  ;)

The different positioning of the Matra JL-100 fuel tanks relative to the pylons they are mounted under is a result of me being very confused regarding where their attachment points are......

dy031101:
AR15 (16" barrel, meant to represent a Recon Rifle setup) with sports rifle or old battle rifle ergonomics, courtesy of the Ares SCR chassis:

dy031101:

After delays suffered by Project Zhen Hai due to difficulties in developing an indigenous active electronically-scanned array radar suitable for a 4500-ton class frigate meant to approach the opposing People's Liberation Army Navy's Type 052C class destroyer in terms of firepower, the Republic of China Navy, after the swearing-in of the new administration in 2024, decided to upgrade their Cheng Kung class and Ming Chuan class (ex-USN OH Perry class) frigates, as well as the Keelung class destroyers (ex-Kidd class guided missile destroyers), using elements from Project Zhen Hai that are ready for mass-production.

To that end, each ships has received a new combat data system derived from that intended for the new-construction frigates; the AN/SPS-49 radar is replaced with an SMART-S-like rotating AESA radar (the most-notable difference being its use of Yagi-type elements to achieve long range),  the Mk.13 missile launcher is given Ordnance Alterations to handle the more-powerful SM-2MR missile; a self-defense-length Mk.41 VLS is installed in the same manner as the Australian Adelaide class for quad-packed TC-2N point-defense missiles, and the Phalanx CIWS on each Cheng Kung class frigate is upgraded to Block 1B standard (the Ming Chuan class is already equipped with this latest iteration of the Phalanx CIWS).

A new batch of SM-2MR missiles are purchased for both these frigates and the Keelung class destroyers.  Designated as the RIM-66K-7 SM-2 Medium Range Block IIIC Active, these newly-built missiles feature an active radar seeker and require only the frigates' fire control radars to provide the occasional mid-course autopilot command uplink (although, unlike the Keelung class destroyers, the frigates have no mean of receiving downlink data from the missiles in return), improving multi-target engagement capability and allowing the aging SM-1MR missiles to be reduced to exercise shots and reserve.  The introduction of the MH-60R Seahawk helicopters means that two are embarked on each Ming Chuan class frigate and Keelung class destroyer; the Cheng Kung class frigates continue to use the existing S-70C(M) Thunderhawk helicopters due to the frigates lacking the SQQ-89(V) anti-submarine warfare system and therefore unable to fully employ the LAMPS Mk.III capabilities anyway.

=====================================================================================

As I continue on with my Heavy Cutlass project, I came across a series of photographs showing the correct position of the 40mm L70 guns on the ROCN's Cheng Kung class frigate.  After slapping myself for basing my past works on an incorrect drawing, I set about making my best interpretation of the photographs......

The above-mentioned modernization is a what-if; the low-observable cupola for the Mk.75 cannon is real, as IRL both the Cheng Kung class and the Ming Chuan class did receive retrofit kits from Oto Melara for those weapons.

dy031101:

When the Frontier Army starts using the SkyCeptor ordnance to replenish the stock of older MIM-104 Patriot missiles expended during various operations against the League of Kings warlord alliance, the Frontier Navy's Fleet Foreign Auxiliary initiates a parallel programme to upgrade the navalized Patriot launchers of the helicopter cruiser Chiyo with these missiles as well.

With the SkyCeptor, Chiyo no longer has to divide her missile complement between two separate Patriot missile variants in order to deal with the full spectrum of anti-ship threats, including anti-ship reentry vehicles launched from ballistic missiles.  The new missile has a dual-mode active radar homing and imaging infrared seeker and is stated to be at least the equivalent to the SM-2MR Block IIIC used by frontline warships of the Frontier Navy when used against aircraft and anti-ship cruise missiles.  Also, each launcher is capable of taking on 12 SkyCeptor canisters compared to four for the older Patriot missiles.

Chiyo received Link 16 equipment shortly after her formal commissioning, well before the rearming programme with the SkyCeptor.  Her S-70C Thunderhawk anti-submarine helicopters are upgraded for improved crew survivability with a view of ultimately being replaced with the MH-90 Caiman (a LAMPS-compatible NH90 NFH used primarily onboard the Frontier Navy's AEGIS cruisers) as the mass-production of the latter permits; the successor to the RH-3H Sea King mine countermeasure helicopters is still being debated, as the MH-101 Merlin that the Frontier Navy is already invested in is too heavy for her flight deck whereas the MH-90 as a mine countermeasure platform, mirroring the capability of the MH-60S, is still being assessed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version