Current and Finished Projects > Profiles and Pixels

dy031101's Mental Notes

<< < (3/98) > >>

dy031101:

--- Quote from: Tophe on February 10, 2012, 12:17:24 PM ---I love your radial-engine Airacobra/Airabonita, most of all... :-*

--- End quote ---

Your comment makes me wonder if a zwillinged tail-dragger is a good idea, but then I realized there was always the F-82......

===========================================

This is the real-life illustration of how the design, XX-101, would roughly have been implemented:

--- Quote from: M.A.D on February 11, 2012, 01:22:30 PM ---I'm a great fan of the F-16XL (original F-16E/F series) and your F-CK-101 is a great utilisation of a design which I believe should have gone into service  :(
--- End quote ---

The XX-101 design was originally intended as a replacement of the F-104, so high-speed performance was part of the requirement, leading to interests in delta wing planform (although the XX-101 was evaluated only with double-delta wing).

--- Quote from: M.A.D on February 11, 2012, 01:22:30 PM ---Is that a IAI Lavi intake arrangement incorporated into its design?
--- End quote ---

Everything was based on the F-16/79.  But since the plane itself is going to be newly-built, components can be further optimised for the J79 turbojet.

--- Quote from: M.A.D on February 11, 2012, 01:22:30 PM ---Any chance of a side profile of this baby??
--- End quote ---

I would very much like to have a chance to do that, since I have something to work from (thanks again, Coops213!).

--- Quote from: M.A.D on February 11, 2012, 01:22:30 PM ---P.S I am particularly interested in the twin wing-tip Aim-9 Sidewinder arrangement!!
--- End quote ---

The "the more missile it can carry, the better" phrase was indeed the real-life initial requirement of the ROCAF.

--- Quote from: M.A.D on February 11, 2012, 01:22:30 PM ---Are you aware that General Dynamics actually studied such an arrangement for the F-16?
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: elmayerle on February 11, 2012, 02:04:17 PM ---And Northrop looked at something similar for the F-5E/F and F-20.
--- End quote ---

Cool!

M.A.D:

--- Quote from: elmayerle on February 11, 2012, 02:04:17 PM ---And Northrop looked at something similar for the F-5E/F and F-20.

--- End quote ---

I never knew that my friend  :o
Have you any pics/drawings of these configurations???

M.A.D

elmayerle:
I'm afraid not as it was 30 years ago and I only saw them in passing while working there on other programs.  I do remember that it was a Y-rack configuration but that's about all.

dy031101:
GTX's line drawing reminds me one thing- hey I did fantasize about a single-seat F-14, too.

So one day I figured what the hell, I'd just go ahead and re-produce that fantasy, which began when I first finished the arcade "Air Combat 22" at Playdium (a.k.a. SEGA CITY back then), since the line drawing is pretty consistent with what I have in mind anyway.

Although inheriting the F-14X designation from a stripped-down version of the Tomcat, this aircraft in fact retains most of the fully-equipped Tomcat's capabilities by adopting the fire control system of the abortive F-15N, including the Phoenix-capable AN/APG-64 radar.

dy031101:
I am by no means the first person to think of a F-14 clad in the colour scheme of F-2A, but I thought the camo goes well together with the one used above...... the intended theme for this one is "ally/friendly-rival" for that single-seater.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version