Author Topic: Kinetic 1/48 Sea Harrier FRS.1-Real World Build  (Read 2844 times)

Offline Aeroplanedriver

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Kinetic 1/48 Sea Harrier FRS.1-Real World Build
« on: August 03, 2020, 07:44:12 AM »
My twentieth build since life changed back in March.  My pace has dropped off with things opening back up and the home buying process taking up some time lately.  SWMBO is having a little surgery on Wednesday (nothing too serious, something she was putting off) so the move process will be slow and I'll have some time at home over the next 10 days looking after her, so I may manage number 21 before moving. 

Anyhoo...it's Kinetic's 1/48 Sea Harrier FRS.1. It looks lovely in the box, but honestly it was a bit of a pig to build.  Lots of PSR involved, especially around the intakes.  In some ways Monogram's ancient GR.1 is a better engineered kit.  I have heard the made some improvements for the T2/4, and I hope that is true otherwise mine will be staying in the stash for a good while longer.

One good part of the kit is the inclusion of a massive decal sheet that allows the building of ANY Sea Harrier in any of the various schemes they wore, as well as Indian ones.  I went with one with a pretty good combat pedigree...XZ457, as "Black 14", the highest scoring SHAR in the Falklands. 

Lt Clive Morrell took down an A-4 with guns in this aircraft on May 21, 82 (it had been damaged by small arms from a ship, and IIRC he had a Sidewinder that failed to launch so he closed in and raked it with 30mm.  It continued on, badly damaged, and unable to land it the pilot ejected when he returned to base). 

Cdr Andy Auld claimed two more kills on May 25, both Mirages, both with Sidewinders.  This model depicts Black 14 after those missions, with three kill markings below the windshield. 

It went on to be converted to an F/A.2 but was damaged beyond repair in 1995 when a compressor blade failed at 80 feet during takeoff resulting in a very hard landing, fire, ejection, and runway overrun.  Sad end for her. 

I'm pretty happy with the end result, but she is definitely a "5 footer" and a look at the underside will reveal some of the issues I just didn't have the patience to fix after struggling with the more visible areas.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: Kinetic 1/48 Sea Harrier FRS.1-Real World Build
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 09:15:45 AM »
Looks a lot better in details than the horrible Tamiya and Airfix SHAR kits.  I think you have captured the appropriate look of the Sea Harrier for that conflict. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 09:31:44 AM »
You may have had issues building her but she looks good, Nick! :smiley: 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 10:41:31 AM »
Fine job kicking piggy building issues.  Came together with interesting details and all.  Has original type cool.  8)

Offline Aeroplanedriver

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 12:15:45 PM »
Looks a lot better in details than the horrible Tamiya and Airfix SHAR kits.  I think you have captured the appropriate look of the Sea Harrier for that conflict.

Having built both of those kits in the past, I CAN say it's the best SHAR available in 1/48.  Just could have been better.  My first ever Tamiya kit was their SHAR and after hearing all the raves about how wonderful they were, even back in the 80s, I remember intense disappointment.  At the time I judged all kits by the cockpit detail, and was used to the great cockpits (for the day) in Monogram kits.  Imagine my despair when Tamiya gave me a seat that looked a lot more like a used recliner than the nice MB Mk.10 Monogram had kindly given me for their Mirage 2000. 

Thanks for the kind comments chaps. 

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 03:54:47 AM »
Looks very nice indeed! May have to grab a Gr 3 in winter cammo now!

I wonder if Airfix is planning a 48th Harrier?

Offline Aeroplanedriver

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 11:54:18 AM »
The Airfix ones are "challenging".  I'm looking forward to the Kinetic GR.1/3/AV-8A inspite of the issues with this build. 

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020, 07:15:40 PM »
Looks very nice indeed! May have to grab a Gr 3 in winter cammo now!

I wonder if Airfix is planning a 48th Harrier?

Airfix already do (did?) a 1/48 GR.3 (I have one in the stash; along with 2 x Tamiya 1/48 FRS.1s & a Hasegawa 1/48 AV-8B)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2020, 05:58:58 AM »
Is it one of their new-tools to come out in the last 5 years or so?

I had their ancient 72nd (ugh, even by 1980 standards) and the 24th scale one, a little better.