Author Topic: "Christy" Stuart  (Read 17313 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
"Christy" Stuart
« on: June 30, 2012, 06:16:48 AM »
There may be many Christy Stuarts in the world, but this one isn't one of them. It's a M3 Stuart tank with a Christie suspension.

I had parts from an old Tamiya M3 Stuart and a Zvezda BT-5 tank rattling around, so I thought I'd bring them together. The Stuart was missing some of its more important parts, so I bought a "new" re-release.

ObParts picture:

I've moved quickly (for me) on this. The suspension arms and spring tubes are from a partial Tamiya FAMO that I had in the parts box:

The figures will be part of the crew. The toothed drive wheel is from the alternate track of a Trumpeter E-10 model (and so is the track.) I may replace the rubber track with the individual link version. I was very tempted to make a working suspension, but I didn't have enough springs.

This is too late for the Falklands GB, so I may move it to another island, further North and East.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 06:18:19 AM by Frank3k »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: "Christy" Stuart
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 06:44:07 AM »
Cool!!!
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline arc3371

• Takes no responsibility should anyone try to turn the drawings into plastic...but we will still hold him accountable for the madness that ensues!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 07:53:21 AM »
Very interesting idea

Offline Jacques Deguerre

• Older and fatter but not wiser.
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 10:07:02 AM »
Frank, that's a great idea. I'll be interested to see how this turns out.

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 12:48:11 PM »
if you're going for a Christie suspension it'll have to be a Wheel & Track tank ;)

Offline Feldmarschall Zod

• Kitbasher extroinadaire
  • Holding Pattern
  • I hope that's not the sound he makes...
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 05:08:37 AM »
Cool variant. ;D
Every time you eat celery,an angel vomits in a gas station bathroom. Tanks rule. I know the load is late,but the voices tell me to pull over and clean the guns.

Offline Jeremak

• Couch mastermind
  • One-person Alternate History Liberation Front
    • My DA: profiles respository, and more...
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 05:29:18 AM »
I want it in World of Tanks!  O0
Look interesting. Any painting thoughts? Maybe unusual US colours, or republican China?

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 05:39:40 AM »
American counterpart to the Soviet BT series of tanks...

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 06:43:27 AM »
Thanks guys! I put the original drive wheel back because the track was making contact with the fender when I pressed down on the top. I also snipped off the two rear return rollers, because they were getting in the way of the track.
I've started on one of the figures as well.
I may have to use individual track links, because I just can't get this Trumpeter track to lay down flat. I've tried all the tricks to get the spring out of vinyl tracks - stretching them, warming them with a hair dryer then stretching them... no use.

Jeremak - It'll end up British, probably with a green (or gray-green) and tan camo pattern, similar (in more ways than one) to the Tetrach.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 09:57:15 AM »
I surgically removed the rear section of the BT-5's turret and transplanted it onto the M3's turret. I did a better job of matching the curve of the M3 turret on the underside of the bustle, so it's on upside down in these pictures. May stay this way, may not.
The "2 pounder" gun is also from the BT-5. I'll modify the barrel to make it look more like a 40mm 2 pounder.

As soon as I'm happy with the bustle, I'll transfer it to the real turret (the new kit's turret) which has some mods of its own.

And Leftenant "Lefty" - his right hand isn't attached. The head is from a New World Miniatures resin set. They've gone out of business, so Sprue Bros has a good deal on their resin figures:

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 07:17:39 PM »
Wow that's looking good Frank! I really like how you modified the turret and those huge wheels are a great addition!

Brian da Basher

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 01:57:40 AM »
Adding the extension to the turret is an excellent decision.  Always wondered why the Stuart were never blessed with such things in real life.  The change over to the Christie style road wheels and suspension certainly makes for a different looking Stuart. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 10:13:44 AM »
Here's the "production" version, with most of the Stuart parts from the new kit:

I blanked off the sponson MGs, like on the real thing:

The turret does look  a lot nicer (and roomier) than the stock Stuart turret:

The white line is 1/4 round plastic stock.
The gun is now a 2 pounder / 40mm.

I have an idea on how to deal with the shot trap that's formed between the bustle and the rear deck...

The suspension without the wheels makes it look like a walker! (And not an M41 Walker.)
The screen over the engine intake (barely visible under the bustle) is from a PE set I etched years ago. It was just a generic screen pattern that has finally been put to use.

Rear end:

The brass handles on the engine compartment door are made from an old, crappy ship railing PE set. This is the 4th pair I've made, and either lost or knocked off. The frilly white line just above the handles is tule that I'm using as another intake screen to cover the gaping hole in the kit.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 10:15:48 AM by Frank3k »

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 08:06:12 AM »
Primer and first pass at the camo:

The chains hanging from the bustle are from a PE set that I made several years ago. they're supposed to be 1/350 ship chain, but they'll do here.

I extended the side fenders out by a few mm to fully cover the tracks. I added some PE straps to hold the fender in place.

I still have to correct the yellow camo, add the missing bits and figure out what to do about the track. I'm not looking forward to building the tracks out of individual links, but this vinyl track just isn't co-operating.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 08:51:21 AM »
Great builds.  Much like what you done here.  :)
For me, light armor has its own cool   8)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 09:47:45 AM by finsrin »

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2012, 10:31:21 PM »
 Neato! Looks like someting that would be right at home in the Gran Chaco war, or fighting Japanese
 paratroopers in Cuba...

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2012, 08:00:13 AM »
Thanks guys.

I experimented with a pressure sensitive adhesive that I got from Micromark. The stuff is just shy of evil - it looks like a PVA glue and dries quickly. Once dry, parts painted with it will stick firmly to each other or to a surface and can even be repositioned. The evil part happens if any of the glue ends up on your work surface or your hands. Suddenly, you become a magnet! Parts, dirt, cat hair - they all end up sticking to whatever tiny spot of glue ended up on you. It dries clear, so it's hard to see, too.

I used the glue on about 76 track links last night (enough to go one side) and I'm letting them dry thoroughly. The glue is flexible when dry, so it may give the tracks a natural hang.... or it may be a complete disaster.

Craig, this tank isn't going to Cuba, but you're giving me ideas!

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2012, 10:37:44 AM »
Here's the Micromark PSA (pressure sensitive adhesive): http://www.micromark.com/liquid-psa-4-oz-applicator-bottle,9713.html

The track draped over the bottle is delicate, but strong enough to fall off the table and not break apart. It curves easily on the sprocket drive as well. I hope that the chemicals in Testors Metalizer paint don't also happen to be the PSA's magic solvent. So far, only acetone seems to dissolve it quickly.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2012, 10:54:21 AM »
Oddly enough does seem fitting for "fighting Japanese paratroopers in Cuba..."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2012, 08:16:46 AM »
Progress:
The tracks (which may be on backwards, but they look OK to me) are on as a test. They drape nicely, but they are delicate in a couple of spots. The grenade launchers are copies from a 1/35 Tetrarch paper model, only in plastic.

The .30 cal on the turret is from the Academy US machine gun set. It's very nicely detailed for plastic. I even added a small section of ammo belt. The .50 cal in the turret and on the glacis are spare barrels from the same Academy set.

The periscope on the commander's hatch is modified from a Tamiya T-34 periscope.

The external fuel tank is from the same Italeri BT-5 that donated the wheels and bustle.

The weathering on the tracks is from Doc O'Brien's Weathering Powders. It's the first time I've used them; I used a wet brush, dipped it in the powder and brushed it on the tracks. I need to re-apply it in some areas, but overall, they seem to work well. They can also be applied dry.

Still need to add some details: headlight & grenade launcher wires, radio antenna, periscope section inside the hatch, secure and cap the wheels then it's on to decals and weathering.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2012, 02:19:42 PM »
Looking good.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2012, 04:50:31 PM »
That turned out very nice.

To my eye.. short a road wheel for a nice even weight spread but a great job.

Like the tip on the glue as well

James

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2012, 06:18:46 PM »
That sure does look fantastic.

Offline tc2324

• Just slightly on the edge of madness......!
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2012, 10:34:39 PM »
That is a great looking tank.  :)

I wonder what the top speed would have been?
Whiffing is for Life...., not just for Christmas!!!

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2012, 02:05:49 AM »
Thanks for the comments.
Brian, I tried, but couldn't fit another wheel (and associated springs) and have it clear the sprocket or rear wheel. I figure that the 12 wheels (each is a pair of wheels) and the extra wide track would reduce some of the ground pressure.

If you use the PSA to glue the tracks, do it AFTER painting them; the metalizer did soften some of the joints. Adjusting the track length was pretty easy - just tear off the excess links, then squeeze the track ends together. Done.

I haven't thought about the maximum speed; probably about the same as the stock tank; the extra bits add some weight.

Frank

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2012, 06:05:01 PM »
That's fantastic, Frank! I really like your paint scheme and those large wheels which make this beauty look ready to take on anything and everything!'

Brian da Basher

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2012, 06:59:59 AM »
... couldn't fit another wheel (and associated springs) and have it clear the sprocket or rear wheel. I figure that the 12 wheels (each is a pair of wheels) and the extra wide track would reduce some of the ground pressure...

The three-per-side wheel arrangement looks just right to me Frank. It emphasizes the light weight of the type. I think you're right about the top speed. The Christie M1931 (with four road wheels) weighed less than an M3 but had half again the power.
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
Re: "Christy" Stuart - Finished!
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2012, 07:11:24 AM »
Madagascar, 1942

In early 1942, the Vichy French government (who controlled Madagascar) agreed to provide safe harbor and military cooperation with the Japanese government.  The Allies were alarmed by the threat to the Suez Canal and the Indian Ocean that this would represent. The US had just entered the War, and the UK was still battling the Germans in North Africa, so supplies, troops and materials were stretched thin.
Quick plans were drawn up to send a considerable force to occupy Madagascar, displace the French traitors and repel the Japanese invaders. It was then that General de Gaulle decided that "Operation Ironclad" would be a Free-French lead operation. This led to months of delays and extra deliberations.

In the meantime, the Japanese landed a considerable number of IJA soldiers and light tanks. Intelligence indicated that they would soon start construction of a large airfield and expansion of the Diego Suarez Bay port to accommodate submarines and battleships. Luckily, the first two Japanese cargo ships with construction equipment and engineers were sunk in the Indian Ocean and the Japanese plans were delayed.

The Allied battle plan had included several Tetrarch tanks, but during the negotiations with de Gaulle, many of the extra Tetrarchs were sent to the Soviet Union. In partial payment for the Tetrarchs, the Soviets had provided the British with some BT-5 and BT-7 tank suspension systems and spares. Several battle damaged M3 Stuarts from the North African campaign were modified to accommodate the new suspension system and wider tracks. A larger 2 lb gun was added as well as a turret bustle. The turret coaxial MG and forward hull MG were replaced with .50 cal machine guns. An extra fuel tank was added to the rear of the new Christie tanks.

Five of these tanks were sent to Madagascar via aircraft and helped the Allied forces defeat the Vichy French and contain the Japanese forces until the arrival of larger tanks and more troops in late 1943.

The Christie suspension M3 Stuart "Lapsed Pacifist", Operation Ironclad, Battle of Madagascar, August, 1942:

I used Doc O'Brien's weathering powders for the first time. I may have overdone it, but the powders were easy to use. All of the decals were home made.

It was a fun build! I discovered that the PSA softens a bit in the heat, so I had to glue some track sections together. Picking up the tank would cause the tracks to sag and their weight would  pull some of the links apart, especially on the links that had been weakened by the metalizer paint.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 07:13:54 AM by Frank3k »

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2012, 07:13:36 AM »
Excellent back-story!
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2012, 07:16:42 AM »
Excellent back-story!

Thanks! Only minor deviations from the original.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2012, 10:00:54 AM »
Great job.

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2012, 02:28:21 AM »
"Lapsed Pacifist" 
;D ;D ;D
Frank, you've got some waaaay serious chops for AFVs and this baby would be in the running for the gold in any show as far as I'm concerned!

Brian da Basher

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2012, 04:25:37 AM »
Thanks, Brian - "Lapsed Pacifist" is the name of a spaceship/AI in "Look to Windward" an Iain M. Banks Culture novel. It's mentioned in passing as part of a long conversation about Culture ship names. The novels are a great source of model names!

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2012, 12:05:58 PM »
Beautiful job and I love the use of a Culture ship name; they tend to have rather interesting and amusing ones.