Author Topic: 1/35 Modified German Pattern 75mm-gun Type 5 Tank Kuroi-hyō - FINISHED  (Read 14158 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
I've started this build & already made 2 blood sacrifices - I'm hoping that's a good sign. ???

Things are moving fast, too fast for photo's right now but I'll try to get some up.

So, starting with this kit:

I am making a Japanese produced version.

For what was supposed to be a "quick & easy" build to re-fire my mojo, it has quickly morphed into a series of major styrene surgeries & modifications.

Initially all I was going to do was close up the undersides of the sponsons over the tracks (haven't got to that bit, yet). Now, the gun, turret & hull have all been chopped, re-arranged & glued back together. So, there's a spot of PSR in my near future.

There are a lot of Tamiya's old "toy" elements to this kit & I really can't fix all of them, so I'm not going to. The holes for the electric motor switches & the running drive, etc., are as filled as I can get them without going stupid & I'll just diorama the beast belly down in a rice paddy, so the worst of it is hidden.

Big thing, though, is that I'm having FUN! :icon_music:

This is modelling as I like it; BIG, bold & b_r_o_a_d, not the finicky 1/350 micro-surgery I've been doing on the ships for the Floaty GB.

Yep, the mojo is flowing back & I'm LOVIN' IT!! ;D ;D
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 01:40:58 PM by Old Wombat »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Some Duck with an Ultimax

• Now known as "Ducky"
Re: 1/35 Modified German Pattern 75mm-gun Type 5 Tank Kuroi-hyō
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 01:41:50 AM »
Yep, the mojo is flowing back & I'm LOVIN' IT!! ;D ;D

Good to hear that and I’m looking forward to seeing this one!
Never trust a man who tells you that you have too many paints, for he is obviously a liar and will most likely try to deceive you again in future.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 03:48:04 AM »
I've started this build & already made 2 blood sacrifices - I'm hoping that's a good sign. ???

Things are moving fast, too fast for photo's right now but I'll try to get some up.

<snip>

Big thing, though, is that I'm having FUN! :icon_music:

<snip>

That's the point of it all if you ask me.

It's great to see you cranking out a piece of armor and seeing the results will be a treat!

Go, Mr Wombat, go!

Brian da Basher

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 08:25:05 AM »
Thanks, Ducky & Brian! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 09:43:04 AM »
OK, this is where I'm at:

Quick & easy! ;D ;D ;D

Front armoured housing on the mantlet is to protect the recoil cylinders. The Japanese didn't usually do this but I'm assuming they learned from the Soviets, who did.

Driver & radio operator positions switched sides.

TC switched sides. Gunner left where he is but loader moved behind him. The Japanese 75mm Type 5 gun appears to have usually had the loader on the left, so it works.

Loader's hatch at the rear of the turret switched sides, too.

Much of this is because, like the Brit's, Aussies & Kiwis, the Japanese drive on the correct (left) side of the road. ;)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 11:41:18 PM by Old Wombat »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 05:05:16 PM »
I like the look of that armored housing, Mr Wombat and definitely not something one would expect to see on this beastie.

It should give it a very intimidating appearance.

Brian da Basher

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2019, 03:01:12 AM »
Good start and a great concept! Looking forward to this  :smiley:
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2019, 03:21:37 AM »
Definitely shaping up to be something the Marines wouldn't want to encounter as they came ashore in the PTO. 

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2019, 04:30:21 AM »
 Looking sharp so far. The Japanese army seemed a lot less progressive than their Navy counterparts, but it's a great concept, regardless.
 Can't wait to see what kind of cammo you come up with for it.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2019, 07:04:43 AM »
Looks like a good bit of surgery. I don't know how well the interleaved road wheels would do in some of the more tropical locations.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2019, 08:38:17 AM »
Thanks, gents! :icon_alabanza:

I don't know how well the interleaved road wheels would do in some of the more tropical locations.

Nicholas Moran (a.k.a. The Chieftain), in his great walk-arounds of AFV's for World of Tanks, mentioned the reported track clogging issue when he did the Panther & said that he had found no verifiable evidence that anything much could resist the torque of the Maybach engine with the exception of Russian mud, if left to freeze overnight during a Russian winter. The biggest negatives he found were crew ergonomics (except for the driver, who is quite well accommodated), accessing the final drive transmission for maintenance (which requires removal of everything in the front of the tank to remove the drive via the hull roof) & changing out the road wheels (which can require up to 5 other road wheels to be removed to access an inner wheel).

In the Asia-Pacific region, where mud stays wet, I'm figuring the Panther (or, in Japanese hands, Kuroi-hyō (Black Leopard)) wouldn't have any major issues with clogging.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2019, 11:09:56 AM »
On the painting table getting a shot of primer. :smiley:

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2019, 12:45:07 PM »
Good to know about the interleaved wheels. Are you going to do a multi color Japanese camo?

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2019, 08:31:09 PM »
Looks like a good bit of surgery. I don't know how well the interleaved road wheels would do in some of the more tropical locations.

Perhaps this tank was designed with Chinese terrain and the Soviet threat specifically in mind.

While that might have been the original intent, by the time this would have been available (even as a handful of prototypes), it would have been logistically infeasible/impossible to get it to the Soviet front.

However, by late 1944 the Japanese were starting to husband resources for the defense of the home islands. The only drawback in deploying these would have been the weight limits on Japanese bridges.

See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_4_Chi-To_medium_tank
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 08:44:44 PM by Story »

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2019, 12:32:32 AM »
Are you going to do a multi color Japanese camo?

Yep! :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2019, 01:50:30 AM »
Perhaps this tank was designed with Chinese terrain and the Soviet threat specifically in mind.

While that might have been the original intent, by the time this would have been available (even as a handful of prototypes), it would have been logistically infeasible/impossible to get it to the Soviet front.

I'm looking at it as a technology sharing between the Japanese & Germans, more than anything else, with modifications made by the Japanese to suit what they preferred & had available.

Construction is going to have been undertaken by several shipyards which, as far as the Allies could tell from reconnaissance, had been forced to shut down.

Difficult, not impossible!

As it was only four units were sent to China for battle testing against the Soviets, where they performed better than German experience had led the IJA High Command to expect. All were damaged to some extent during the testing but none incapacitated & they proved to be more than a match for the Soviet T-34-85's they came up against. Those same four tanks were returned to Japan & were part of the forty Kuroi-hyō tank force that helped smash the poorly prepared Soviet invasion of Hokkaido in August 1945.

Another two Kuroi-hyō were tested during the Battle of Saipan, where the tanks again exceeded expectations. One vehicle was disabled & destroyed in place using a US 500lb bomb which had failed to detonate when dropped on the Japanese forces. The other was driven off the cliffs, into the ocean at an undisclosed location prior to the Japanese surrender & not discovered until 1978 by tourists scuba-diving off the island.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 01:52:38 AM by Old Wombat »

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2019, 04:08:19 AM »
That's one killer back story.

Brian da Basher

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2019, 11:08:50 AM »
Well, there ya go.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2019, 07:12:48 PM »
She's been on the painting table this evening & has a coat of Tamiya XF-13 J. A. Green over almost everything (hopefully with the exception of my wife's white Nissan Qashqai).

So, here I sit with nothing to do on her until tomorrow, when I'll check to see if she needs another coat (in which case I'll have to go & buy some more paint - the surface area of the Panther is HUGE!).

Then it's on to the camo; a 50/50 mix of XF-10 Flat Brown & XF-64 Red Brown, followed by a mix of XF-49 Khaki, XF-55 Deck Tan & XF-60 Dark Yellow to make an approximation of the Japanese tan colour (apparently called "Parched Grass").

Followed by chucking all the final bits on & taking a few photo's. May take a few photo's before that, though. :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2019, 03:29:30 PM »
OK. The base camouflage is down.

Not overly happy with my rendition of a Japanese camo scheme but I'm leaving it as is. However, I am going to have to do something about the Nisshōki (a.k.a. the Hinomaru), which I'll have to fix by hand.

Anyway, here are some pic's for you to peruse:

Cheers!

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2019, 03:54:29 PM »
Just got onboard to build and read all of thread.  Back ground rationale and build are well thought out.  Right on and keep it fun.  :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2019, 04:07:58 PM »
Thanks, Bill! :smiley:

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2019, 06:06:49 AM »
Quote from: Old Wombat
Not overly happy with my rendition of a Japanese camo scheme but I'm leaving it as is. However, I am going to have to do something about the Nisshōki (a.k.a. the Hinomaru), which I'll have to fix by hand.

So considerate to leave a target marking the best spot to take out the crew!

With some weathering, the camo should look fine - the tank definitely looks Japanese now!

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2019, 03:20:18 PM »
A fair number of Japanese tanks had them & I'm figuring that the IJA High Command wouldn't want their new toy attacked by their own troops, as it's unlikely they would have seen it in service before the invasion of Japan.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2019, 05:16:49 AM »
... With some weathering, the camo should look fine - the tank definitely looks Japanese now!

Agreed on the scheme. National markings have 'spoiled' many a camouflage job but they're applied nonetheless. Very realistic  :smiley:
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz