Author Topic: SketchUp 3D Model - Metal Floor Grating  (Read 3862 times)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
SketchUp 3D Model - Metal Floor Grating
« on: November 09, 2012, 09:40:28 AM »
In the same theme as my previous models of tread plates, I explored metal floor gratings.  The kind of thing that you see in industrial and mechanical plant settings that have a lot of spaces or holes in them that let you see through the grating to what is above or below you.  In SketchUp this was most often represented as a "skin" or texture that you applied to the object that you were modeling to get that see-through effect without the physical features.  I was never impressed with this and finally decided it was time to take on the challenge and see what I could create that could be used instead of the program provided texture.  While there is a lot of repetition involved it does take an eye for detail and a lot of patience to make it all come together as a finished model.  I am pleased with what I have created and the attached screen shots show two of these types of gratings. 

The first two images are of the first 3D model that was created with a more open construction.  The third and fourth images show the second 3D model that is more contained with a definite physical boundary and a lot of individual square holes.  It was a challenge to try and make that all come together and I was ready to give up several times before taking a break from it for a couple of days and then returning to finish it. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg