Author Topic: SketchUp 3D Model - Hardened Aircraft Shelter  (Read 5789 times)

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
SketchUp 3D Model - Hardened Aircraft Shelter
« on: April 30, 2012, 09:03:59 AM »
I spent the last couple of days and nights attempting to model a Hardened Aircraft Shelter that you see at many military airfields to protect aircraft from the environment or the occasional bomb or rocket during times of war.  The model features sliding doors at the front and a jet engine exhaust portal at the rear. The 3D model was created with artistic license and does not attempt to represent any specific hardened aircraft shelter design. 

Screen shot - Doors closed

Screen shot - Doors open

Additional images can be viewed at this link to my FaceBook Album "SketchUp - Aircraft Shelter"

Link to these models at the SketchUp 3D Warehouse:

Aircraft Shelter - Doors Open

Aircraft Shelter - Doors Closed
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 09:08:14 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: SketchUp 3D Model - Hardened Aircraft Shelter
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 05:57:20 PM »
Nicely done.  I wonder how you would go modelling up an entire airbase?
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 07:24:04 PM »

Not sure I would want to take on that task.  A sure way to suck the joy out of any hobby is in attempting to put way too much effort in the details.  With that being said, I suspect that modeling an actual airfield in SketchUp based on satellite images you could model a specific location with 3D models incorporated into the satellite image and even share that on Google Earth if you were so inclined.  One of the things that SketchUp and Google are promoting is modeling your town or city and there are a lot of folks that are doing just that. 

***edit to correct sentence structure error
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 02:54:48 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline RussC

• Our own personal dragon trainer...with a flying wing fetish
  • Resident Painter
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 07:42:59 PM »

Did one. its on my deviant art account. Its more of a sampler of airfield structures than a real field concept.

http://russc1.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=96#/d4e22vd

http://fav.me/d4e22vd

It shows an older airfield added to with longer runways. Viewed from above, the older section and parking aprons was designed to look like a skull and bones.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 07:44:40 PM by RussC »

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 09:41:24 AM »

Actually, I did play around with creating an airfield/airbase in SketchUp but the file became so large that I found it to be unmanageable since I was modeling the thing in 1:1 scale :)

Creating the runway and parking aprons was relatively easy to do and then it got complicated when I tried to randomly place things here and there to not make it look all dress-right-dress and in some kind of formation.  After all of that effort I deleted it and figured it was saner for me to just focus on one small part of a facility such as an individual hardened aircraft shelter into which I could put a lot of detail.  For as simple as that model was to create, it still ended up at 5mb when it was all finished and there was a lot more I could have added to it such as the missing personnel access door, interior lighting, central drain, plus the blast doors for the jet exhaust portal.  I figured the doors at the front were enough of a chore without having to try and repeat it all over again and for most folks the details I put into the model are overkill.  It was still a fun exercise and I enjoyed the sense of accomplishment that comes from sharing the finished model with others. 

Offline RussC

• Our own personal dragon trainer...with a flying wing fetish
  • Resident Painter
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 07:55:28 PM »

Actually, I did play around with creating an airfield/airbase in SketchUp but the file became so large that I found it to be unmanageable since I was modeling the thing in 1:1 scale :)

Creating the runway and parking aprons was relatively easy to do and then it got complicated when I tried to randomly place things here and there to not make it look all dress-right-dress and in some kind of formation.  After all of that effort I deleted it and figured it was saner for me to just focus on one small part of a facility such as an individual hardened aircraft shelter into which I could put a lot of detail.  For as simple as that model was to create, it still ended up at 5mb when it was all finished and there was a lot more I could have added to it such as the missing personnel access door, interior lighting, central drain, plus the blast doors for the jet exhaust portal.  I figured the doors at the front were enough of a chore without having to try and repeat it all over again and for most folks the details I put into the model are overkill.  It was still a fun exercise and I enjoyed the sense of accomplishment that comes from sharing the finished model with others.

Great results. One thing about adding a lot of details is that it can sometimes be better just to build a framework first and do details in later versions. Some very simple 3D HAS models are posted in the Digital Aviation Arts group over on dA' and when you take the building and a 3D jet and some simple render program that will do lighting, like Kerkythea, some really photo level results come out, which can be further spruced in Photoshop with backgrounds and small items and some weathering.

If you want to try and model an airfield and keep the size down, try modeling it as a a 1/32 diorama size. Scale is almost irrelevant at 3D, except if you are actually integrating the results with real earth structures like you mention many sketchup users as doing.
   As What-if-ers' (Ooops, I mean Beyond the Sprues'ers ;-) scale is what we make of it.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 08:01:37 PM by RussC »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 03:46:43 AM »
   As What-if-ers' (Ooops, I mean Beyond the Sprues'ers ;-) scale is what we make of it.

You can still refer to us as "What-if-ers" if you wish - the term is more about our style of modelling rather then being linked to any particular forum.  Moreover, no-one has a monopoly on the term...
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.