Author Topic: U.S.S. Crappie SSX 13 1/2  (Read 4052 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
U.S.S. Crappie SSX 13 1/2
« on: March 04, 2013, 03:44:50 AM »
The 1920s and 1930s were a time of great innovation, especially for the U.S. Navy's submarine fleet. The Navy sought to apply all the lessons learned in the Great War and many prototype subs were build, SSX 13 1/2 the U.S.S. Crappie among them.

One great innovation was adding bow planes. This began when the Chief of Submarines, a native of Brooklyn, New York, ordered that the new boat be "A submarine with a purpose!" Due to his thick accent, this was mis-interpreted as the Admiral wanting a boat that would porpoise. And porpoise the SSX 13 1/2 did until the bow planes were added.

Christened the U.S.S. Crappie, the new sub passed all trials and spent the next 7 years involved in fleet problems with the Pacific fleet. Employing advanced trigonometry, the Crappie never failed to out-wit its opponents.

When war came in 1941, the U.S.S. Crappie further distinguished itself by transporting key war materiel (strawberries) to the minesweeper U.S.S. Caine DMS-18 thus preventing a mutiny.

The U.S.S. Crappie was stricken off charge and scrapped at the end of the war in 1945.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 03:55:47 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: U.S.S. Crappie SSX 13 1/2
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 03:54:08 AM »
After finishing up a large project, I was looking for a quick build. I took a dive into my spares and found a float left over from a seaplane. It seemed ripe to be turned into a submarine.

A cut-down conning tower topped with half of a bomb was added and crowned with a sanded down fairing for the sail. A rudder was made from the tip of an airplane tail and the bow planes were swiped from a Han class sub kit (I think). The drive shafts and fairings were more left-over parts and I found some nice brass photo-etched props to complete the build.

The model is brush-painted by hand with acrylics. I started this Friday night and finished it late last night. I had a blast with this little submarine and I hope it inspires others to join in the fun!

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 04:10:56 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 04:01:22 AM »
You are off to a fast start for all things floaty. 
Very resourceful pontoon based build.  :-* 
Use of those propellers must have helped performance comparred to other subs of the time.
Distinguished service record too.....

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 04:16:50 AM »
Great looking little submarine you have created Brian.  Glad to see you exploring other themes where spats would seem to be out of place :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 07:27:46 AM »
Great job....

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 09:11:21 AM »
Nice!!!!  Love the Caine Mutiny reference  ;D  You did it again man.  Now we'll be expecting about 10 more outta yas before the end since you're just so darn fast  ;)

You've got me thinking now, we've all talked about doing a Drop Tank GB but how about a Float GB?  Just thinking out loud.
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 03:31:56 PM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.