Author Topic: Cutting Tools for Model Building  (Read 6142 times)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Cutting Tools for Model Building
« on: March 23, 2012, 01:36:52 AM »
Of course the old standard is the X-acto type razor saws that are very effective for things that need cutting with long calculated and very careful strokes but there are times when long strokes are not the best approach to your cutting task.  I have enough razor saw cut scars and I know I am not alone in suffering from this kind of mishap.  For a number of years I have seen images in books and on the internet of a saw that looks like a very large razor blade with three holes in it to center and secure it to the tool that holds it.  I thought this was a unique design and had thought that it might be to my benefit to acquire something similar for the those small cutting jobs where the X-acto razor saw was over-kill. 

I finally took the plunge and found a saw via Sprue Brothers that was made by CMK.  I am not that excited about the plastic blade holder but it works for what it is intended to do and that is to cut small things without damaging them.  The tool comes with one double-sided saw blade containing an edge with 70 teeth and an edge containing 42 teeth (CMK #H1004 Ultra smooth and extra smooth saw, 2 sides). 

Now that I have one I wish I had found this twenty years ago.  It works in cutting small things or in tight places where the X-acto does not.  Certainly a must have for your tool box. 

Click on image or html to view details

(Image source: CMK Kits

« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 02:18:53 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
Re: Cutting Tools for Model Building
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 01:58:32 AM »
I 2nd this. This is how I do all my extended wings. I could not do my builds without this tool.

I have the JLC model available from UMM here: http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_info.php?cPath=21_28&products_id=35

Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 10:42:22 AM »
Thanks Jeffry, very interesting. For small stuff, I use the X-acto #15 blade (keyhole saw) but it's rather limited. This one look promising.

I note on the website that CMK offer a range of replacement blade combos including untoothes. I wonder how those work?  :icon_surprised:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 11:31:01 AM »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 01:00:25 PM »
Radu Brizan also makes some interesting cutting tools and PE:

http://www.radubstore.com/index.php?main_page=index&manufacturers_id=10

He has a cool wood pattern PE mask:

http://www.radubstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=77_117&products_id=369
That wood pattern airbrush stencil is insane.  But it does have a distinct wood pattern. 

Thanks Jeffry, very interesting. For small stuff, I use the X-acto #15 blade (keyhole saw) but it's rather limited. This one look promising.
The keyhole saws produced by X-acto and other companies are great if you are cutting wood but the tooth density of the saw blade is not dense enough to make smooth cuts on models.

I note on the website that CMK offer a range of replacement blade combos including untoothes. I wonder how those work?  :icon_surprised:

Not sure what saw blade you are referring to that has no teeth.  The saw tooth density is listed on the supporting images for each blade type. 

H1000 - Ultra Smooth Saw (70 teeth) on one edge and Extra Smooth Saw (42 teeth) on one edge

H1001 - Ultra Smooth Saw (70 teeth on both edges)

H1002 - Very Smooth Saw (42 teeth on both edges)

H1003 - Smooth Saw (31 teeth on both edges)

H1004 - Ultra Smooth Saw (70 teeth) on one edge and Extra Smooth Saw (42 teeth) on one edge

H1005 - Ultra Smooth Saw (70 teeth on both edges)

H1006 - Very Smooth Saw (42 teeth on both edges)

H1007 - Smooth Saw (31 teeth on both edges)

So you have choices on tooth density for each blade type ranging from 70 teeth (Ultra Smooth) all the way down to 31 teeth (Smooth).  Granted the term smooth is not the first word I would turn to in trying to describe the cutting abilities of a saw blade. 

Perhaps it would have been better if CMK had used more familiar terminology such as ultra fine, super fine, fine, medium, and coarse to describe the cutting properties of each type of saw blade. 

If you ignore the word and focus on tooth count, you can see that the more teeth on the blade the better it will cut.  This includes flesh too so be careful. 
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 01:04:36 PM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 02:33:39 AM »
Another type of cutting tool that is sometimes quite handy is the punch and die type manual nibbler.

Click on thumbnail image to view larger image of the punch and die type manual nibbler. 

(Image source: WIkimedia

The chain store called Radio Shack used to carry this type and that was where I found mine.  The cutting head is about 5mm X 5mm so it will nibble out substantial amounts of plastic or other material as you crunch away with it.  Though it works well, you still have to be careful to not proceed too fast on your path of destruction lest you cut away too much of your model, especially the part that you wanted to build.