Author Topic: Il-400bis  (Read 3704 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
Il-400bis
« on: November 11, 2013, 06:58:44 AM »
This is a build of the ICM I-1/IL-400b:

The kit has some nice features, like a sturdy wing box that ensures a proper and solid wing attachment. It also has one very annoying flaw - the corrugated upper wing is inexplicably split not at the trailing edge, but at about the 3/4 mark. This leaves a nasty gap that would be difficult to correct without damaging the corrugations or spending a lot of time repairing them. The kit (at least my copy) was covered in mold release oil.

For the wing gap, I glued a strip of styrene and called it a "strengthening rib" to allow the plane to be used as a bomber.
The original plane, from the early 1920s, was not very good and never went into service. In this alternate reality, the plane was upgraded with a more powerful engine, better guns, bombs and other improvements and soldiered on as a ground attacker until the the late 1930s and the Battles of Khalkhin Gol.

The seat belts, bombs, 20mm cannons and offset gunsight, new exhausts, new oil cooler and tail wheel are my additions.

The guns are from an old Monogram B-29, the bombs and bomb shackles are from an Airfix Pe-2. I just noticed that the wing box is splitting a wing apart:

The decals came with the kit and had to be separated from the sheet individually. They reacted well with decal setting solution and were sealed with Future and a satin coat.

Overall it was an OK kit; it would have been a fun kit if it hadn't been for the upper wing issue. Not bad considering it was $2.99 on sale.

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
Re: Il-400bis
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 08:47:11 AM »
Interesting indeed. :)

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 10:34:41 AM »
Interesting little beastie, almost looks like something you'd expect from Dr. Hugo Junkers.  I could see that split point in the wings if the flaps were on the upper surface, too, but not with this configuration (the front of the flaps on the underside would seem far more suitable to me).

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 12:26:14 PM »
Was not aware of kit or airplane. 
I like it and your extra parts choices and camo scheme-quality  :)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 03:30:09 PM »
Sweet!
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 05:19:00 AM »
Thanks, guys. Other than the stupid layout of the wings, it was a good kit and it's dirt cheap. One version of the plane did away with the corrugated wings, so I was tempted to redo them with sheet styrene. Maybe the next one (did I mention the were cheap?)

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 05:49:22 AM »
Don't see this type everyday!  :) Man it looks great  :-*
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 07:17:01 AM »
Wow Frank, that's one of the best Il-400s I've ever seen! Most of these that are built are finished in natural metal like the original, but I really like the camo!

I think you totally nailed the VVS look and I think adding bombs for the ground-attack role is truly inspired!

Most excellent!

Brian da Basher