Author Topic: Aeronautica Macchi C.202 Esperimento Cannoni / Liquid Oxygen Bomb Builds  (Read 3257 times)

Offline Inactive

• Holding Pattern
In Spring 1943 Aeronautica Macchi C.202 M.M.91974 was fitted with a pair of gondola-mounted Mauser M.G. 151 20 mm cannons each with 200 rounds as the Esperimento Cannoni (Experimental Cannon - EC) variant to increase the type's firepower in combat against cannon-armed Allied aircraft. First flying on May 12, 1943 evaluation trials at the Regia Aeronautica Italiana (RAI) Guidonia Montecelio Flight Testing Center reportedly went well, four other aircraft supposedly also being fitted with Mausers though no series production was authortized ostensibly because the external gondolas degraded flight performance well as advent of interally wing-mounted cannon-armed Macchi C.205V Series III aircraft 15 reportedly being delivered to the RAI just before the September 8, 1943 Italian Armistice.

The option-rich 1973-vintage 1/72 Scale SUPERMODEL Macchi C.202 kit includes M.G. 151 cannon gondola parts model of which I'd built in November 2018:

The newer well as superior-tooled 1992-vintage Hasegawa & 2001-vintage Italeri 1/72 scale kits unfortunately do not include M.G. 151 gondolas though some years ago the SEM Model 72809 C.202 EC Resin Conversion Kit designed by Philippe Martin was issued for the Italeri kit complete with decals for C.202 M.M.91974. As of time of writing obtaining the Italeri kit has been near impossible for me so instead utilized a Hasegawa kit well as True Details 72462 C.202 Cockpit Interior Resin Parts designed for this kit I'd bought over decade and a half ago to build this model completed on April 26, 2019:

SUPERMODEL & Hasegawa Build Comparison Views:

« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 05:52:53 AM by Retired In Kalifornia »

Offline Some Duck with an Ultimax

• Now known as "Ducky"
Re: Aeronautica Macchi C.202 Esperimento Cannoni
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 06:33:16 AM »
Cool to see the differences between those two. Now you’ve gotta line up all these Italian craft together for a group photo!
Never trust a man who tells you that you have too many paints, for he is obviously a liar and will most likely try to deceive you again in future.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 07:39:35 AM »
Yet another magnificent Macchi from Cali!

Very cool smoke ring camo.  8)

Brian da Basher

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 09:22:07 AM »
 :smiley: 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Inactive

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 09:27:40 AM »
Cool to see the differences between those two. Now you’ve gotta line up all these Italian craft together for a group photo!
There are over 200 of them last time I'd counted all in custom-built fully dust-proofed display cases. I may photograph each of them after building what's available in 1/72 scale hopefully by Spring 2021 if not sooner.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 09:37:52 AM »
Both looking as fine as they should and could to me.  :smiley:

Offline Inactive

• Holding Pattern
Bomba a Ossigeno Liquido Experimental Weapon
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 09:39:00 AM »

Bomb colors are incorrect  :o though one could argue it might had been painted such if were operational. Far as I know only one weapon was mounted on an Regia Aeronautica Italiana Reggiane Re.2001 for VIP field display in 1943 supposedly red-white quarter-painted, next couple of days will build & paint another as such, post photos of it here as don't think it necessary to start another discussion thread about it.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 09:43:06 AM by Retired In Kalifornia »

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
Beautiful, all of them!!!

Offline andonio64

• Fio Piccolo's understudy

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Inactive

• Holding Pattern
Liquid Oxygen Bomb Build With Corrected Body Coloration
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2019, 09:59:00 AM »

« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 10:23:03 AM by Retired In Kalifornia »

Offline Inactive

• Holding Pattern
Building This Now...
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2019, 11:57:55 AM »
...watch for new subject post when completed c. May 10th:

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
I've got that conversion kit, too.  Be very interested in seeing your take on it.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
My what a lovely pair of spats you have there!
 :-*
Brian da Basher