Author Topic: A few 1/35 IFV's and AFV's  (Read 137599 times)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: A few 1/35 IFV's and AFV's
« Reply #925 on: January 11, 2024, 01:56:26 AM »
Just note that what you refer to as the snorkel is only part of the set up and only that for the engine exhaust.  The air intake for the engine is on the left rear corner of the hull top - marked as 18 on below:

You can see the complete set up, including intake tubes here:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #926 on: January 11, 2024, 02:49:29 AM »
Yes, the snorkel that I refer to is part of the deep water fording kit. The lower exhaust cover part I showed on my kit was used by the USMC in Iraq and Afghanistan. I am guessing it was used to lower the heat signature of the vehicle. Some used the rectangular exhaust diverter.

I am not using the full deep water fording kit, only the lower exhaust cover part as seen in this image from Helmand Province, Afghanistan.

They also used the rectangular exhaust diverter.

A couple more images of just the lower exhaust cover part from the fording kit.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #927 on: January 11, 2024, 03:42:02 AM »
Good to see you back!

There are a couple of people on ebay that sell kit sprues; they may be cheaper than going through the kit company.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #928 on: January 11, 2024, 04:01:30 AM »
Good to see you back!

There are a couple of people on ebay that sell kit sprues; they may be cheaper than going through the kit company.

Thanks! I will try to keep up to date but taking care of my parents takes up a lot of time. I did have a mini break the last couple of weeks but that ends starting next week.

Meng customer service is actually great to deal with. The Meng parts are quite cheap depending on the parts trees. I got most of the Meng parts trees, decals and PE frets for anywhere from $1 USD to $3 USD each. The shipping is pretty high depending on how many parts trees you purchase from them. The shipping from Meng averages $20 USD. If ordering from Meng, you should plan ahead to get a few parts trees to make the shipping worthwhile. Considering the parts are coming from China, the shipping isn't really that bad.

I have gotten quite a few parts trees from Ebay as well and they are more expensive even with the shipping from Meng.

While the Meng customer service is great, the best customer service I have dealt with was from Tamiya. I would rate Meng right behind Tamiya though.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #929 on: January 11, 2024, 05:07:40 PM »
Nice start! :smiley:

I notice that there are a fair number of images from temperate climes showing the exhaust diverters & snorkel bases attached but I would have thought that diverting the hot exhaust gasses upwards would make for a bigger heat signature, especially at night or in cooler climates, with a massive plume of hot air projecting up into the sky on Passive IR.

What it would do, in Iraq & Afghanistan, is reduce the dust signature, especially if stationary but under full engine power (rather than Aux).
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Ramba

« Reply #930 on: January 11, 2024, 10:21:59 PM »
Nice start! :smiley:

I notice that there are a fair number of images from temperate climes showing the exhaust diverters & snorkel bases attached but I would have thought that diverting the hot exhaust gasses upwards would make for a bigger heat signature, especially at night or in cooler climates, with a massive plume of hot air projecting up into the sky on Passive IR.

What it would do, in Iraq & Afghanistan, is reduce the dust signature, especially if stationary but under full engine power (rather than Aux).

Thanks!

I found this article from the US Army page saying the exhaust diverters were used when towing another vehicle. The diverter was used so they don't damage the vehicle being towed by the hot exhaust.
https://www.psmagazine.army.mil/News/Article/1923406/m1-series-tanks-towing-deflect-heat-damage/

Only thing is, all the images I see of the M1's with the exhaust diverter and snorkel attached aren't towing anything. Your theory about using them to limit the dust signature makes sense but only if they are stationary. As you can see in the image below, when moving, they do kick up a huge plume of dust. I used to know a Marine that was deployed to Iraq during OIF and he was the one that told me they used the wooden crates to sit on when they defecate. I wish I remembered who he was so I could ask if he knows the reason for the exhaust diverter and snorkel use.

Here's a good reference image of a USMC M1A1 from OIF showing the poo crate on the far right of the image with the words, "POO HERE" written on it. I will have to write that on mine when I add it to one of my USMC M1A1's deployed to Iraq for OIF.

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #931 on: January 12, 2024, 04:26:26 AM »
I wonder what Staff Genius came up with this -

"POO HERE" written on it. I will have to write that on mine when I add it to one of my USMC M1A1's deployed to Iraq for OIF.

1) We use to just squat and launch 'em like torpedoes off the back deck.

2) Iraq has been using human and animal fertilizer for millennium and when the wind kicks up the dust west of Baghdad International, the entire world has a wiff of poop.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #932 on: January 12, 2024, 08:14:10 AM »

"POO HERE" written on it. I will have to write that on mine when I add it to one of my USMC M1A1's deployed to Iraq for OIF.

2) Iraq has been using human and animal fertilizer for millennium and when the wind kicks up the dust west of Baghdad International, the entire world has a wiff of poop.

I have no idea where the idea came from. It was probably just individual crew members that thought it up. So far, from the references I have, it was only written on that one specific vehicle. I will add it to my build just for those little details.

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #933 on: January 12, 2024, 09:05:38 AM »

I have no idea where the idea came from. It was probably just individual crew members that thought it up. So far, from the references I have, it was only written on that one specific vehicle. I will add it to my build just for those little details.

Funny how digital communications can filter out the intended humor. By all means, include not only the box but a crewman with his coveralls down taking a poop.

What I'm saying is that generally things like this are a "dress right dress" order than flows down from BN and/or BDE Commander, because a little trail of tankers' poops in the desert would be unslightly or an OPSEC violation of some sort.  ;D

Offline Ramba

« Reply #934 on: January 12, 2024, 09:21:02 AM »

Funny how digital communications can filter out the intended humor. By all means, include not only the box but a crewman with his coveralls down taking a poop.

What I'm saying is that generally things like this are a "dress right dress" order than flows down from BN and/or BDE Commander, because a little trail of tankers' poops in the desert would be unslightly or an OPSEC violation of some sort.  ;D
[/quote]

I originally saw the crate on a USMC HMMWV and I was adding it to my Tamiya kit. Someone asked me what it was for but I didn't know. An actual Marine that was deployed to Iraq replied saying it was used for them to sit on and poop so they didn't have to squat. Anyway, after looking over a ton of reference images of USMC vehicles deployed to Iraq, I noticed more and more vehicles had the poop crates on them.

Here is the original photo of the USMC M1046 TOW HMMVW that I was trying to replicate. You can see the poop crate over the raised exhaust.

While I never finished the Tamiya M1046 TOW, I did get close to finishing a Tamiya M1025 that I converted to a USMC M1043 with the tea cup turret shield and half moon doors. I started to weather it but never finished it. My weathering skills are basically nonexistent as you can see. The poop crate was made from balsa wood.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #935 on: January 12, 2024, 09:21:46 AM »
While working on the RFM USMC M1A1 FEP kit, I also started on the RFM M1A1 Ukraine/Poland kit. I am making mine as Ukrainian. Ukraine got the M1A1 SA version. The RFM instructions show to make the Ukrainian version as a plain vanilla version without the SCWS, loader's M240 gun shield, blast shields and rear phone box. From photos revealed of actual Ukrainian M1A1 SA's, they do in fact have the SCWS, loader's M240 gun shield, blast shields and rear phone box. If making the Ukrainian version, it is better to follow the instructions for the Polish version but there are still some slight differences. The instructions for the Polish version show to use the Blue Force Tracker (BFT), USMC style smoke dischargers and the later style phone box. You will have to use the US Army smoke dischargers as shown in the instructions for the Ukraine version and also use the earlier style phone box part B8 for the Ukrainian version and leave off the BFT. Not all parts for an actual M1A1 SA are included in the box though. You need to get the loader's M240 gun shield and blast shields from the RFM M1A2 SEP V2 kit. One thing to note about the blast shields, you need to mix and match two different sets to make the correct ones used on the M1A1 SA. The parts trees you need to acquire from the RFM M1A2 SEP V2 kit are parts trees "J" and "S". You also need the clear parts tree "T" for the ballistic glass for the M240 gun shield.

This is the RFM M1A1 Ukraine/Poland kit.

Images of a Ukrainian M1A1 SA. They were found on X but forgot who posted them for proper credit. They are used for reference purposes only. You can just make out the SCWS and blast shields in the first photo. While the second photo is smaller and blurry, you can better see the SCWS, M240 gun shield and blast shields.

This is the source for the first image of the Ukrainian M1A1 SA.
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1728721159749820444

Here is a video of a Ukrainian M1A1 SA at a training ground in Ukraine. You can clearly see the SCWS, loader's M240 gun shield, blast shields and rear phone box.
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1743725363824410826

US Army M1A1 SA showing the SCWS, M240 gun shield and blast shields.

These are the RFM M1A2 SEP V2 parts trees you need for the M240 gun and blast shields. Parts tree "J" has the parts for the M240 gun shield and original style blast shields. From the "J" parts tree, you need parts 15 and 20 for some of the blast shields. You also need parts 28, 32, 33 and 35 for the M240 gun shield plus parts T5 from the clear parts tree. From the "S" parts tree, you need part 15 to complete the blast shields common to the M1A1 SA.

These are the blast shield parts from the "J" and "S" parts trees. The top part is S15 and the two lower parts are J15 and J20.

You need to trim off part of S15 to fit parts J15 and J20. The area with the arrow is the section you need to cut off but you need to save the smaller rectangular area with the two bolts on it.

I unfortunately didn't take photos after trimming/modifying the section of part S15. Here are parts S15, J15 and J20 modified to make a correct M1A1 SA blast shield already attached to the turret. You can see where I modified the section with the two bolts to fit parts J15 and J20. You can also see I added the discs to the top of the blow off panels. On the M1A1 SA, they didn't have them so I have to remove them. For the correct blow off panels use parts F34.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 10:10:47 AM by Ramba »

Offline Ramba

« Reply #936 on: January 13, 2024, 11:52:57 PM »
Removed the wrong blow off panels and got the correct ones on.

I will be using this holographic vinyl sticker for the viewports. It is still sealed so I have no idea how thick or sticky the adhesive is. From the reviews I read, people use this material with their Cricut machines to make stickers so I am guessing the adhesive is tacky enough to stick. I haven't gotten anywhere near to the stage of applying the holographic sticker to the viewports yet but will test a piece soon.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #937 on: January 14, 2024, 12:53:20 AM »
Holographic vinyl sticker seems ideal for viewports.

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #938 on: January 14, 2024, 09:10:43 AM »
I’ve used plastic confetti in red, blue or green for viewports but this looks really good. It should give that change of color as you walk past.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #939 on: January 14, 2024, 09:44:55 PM »
Holographic vinyl sticker seems ideal for viewports.

I’ve used plastic confetti in red, blue or green for viewports but this looks really good. It should give that change of color as you walk past.

I hate trying to paint the viewports so was hoping this is easier.

I have tried the colored confetti type before and worked well but they are individual solid colors. The holographic sticker should be more representative of the real viewports. I know it is just a model and I don't enter contests but it is something I wanted to try to see how it looks.

Here are the colored confetti type strands I tried. They are the streamers from party noisemakers. I tried out the blue ones. They worked great but I think the holographic sticker will work better, I hope!

Offline Ramba

« Reply #940 on: January 14, 2024, 09:51:14 PM »
Nice video with some great views of a Ukrainian M1A1 SA in Ukraine. This particular one has the TUSK I ERA on the side skirts. Looks like I will be adding that to mine as well. I can’t see if it has the belly armor or not.
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1746444192161701926

Offline Ramba

« Reply #941 on: January 16, 2024, 03:29:22 AM »
With new images and videos appearing of the Ukrainian M1A1 SA tanks showing them with the TUSK ERA attached, I have been collecting the TUSK parts from my other RFM kits where those parts are not used so will use them on my Ukrainian M1A1 SA.

Ukrainian M1A1 SA with the TUSK I side skirt ERA blocks

The RFM USMC M1A1 FEP kit includes the belly armor and TUSK I side skirt ERA blocks. The USMC kit doesn't use the ERA blocks so they are left over.

The "J" parts tree from the RFM M1A2 SEP V2 has the side skirts where the ERA blocks attach to and also the front and rear brackets. Those parts aren't used on the  SEP V2 kit but I plan to use them on my SEP V2 kit. I got a spare parts tree off Ebay sometime last year for the M240 gun shield and blast shields that will also be used on my Ukrainian M1A1 SA so I already had the "J" parts tree on hand.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #942 on: January 24, 2024, 12:59:03 AM »
Not much done lately on the two RFM M1A1's. The mini break I had is over and am back to taking care of my elderly parents which leaves very little time to myself.

I am posting images of the Meng 1/35 T-72B3M that I got for Christmas, 2022 from my sister. I didn't actually get it until April 2023 though.

I started it back in September, 2022. It came with a jig to align the suspension arms.

There are a lot of ejector pins that need to be removed.

Got the hull together. It is still not complete. I need to add a few more parts including the PE grills.

Meng says not to use the fuel drums but I am adding them as I found some images from Ukraine that show them using the fuel drums. Meng includes the fuel lines as a ready to install rubber part as seen in the second image below. The last image shows a T-72B3M captured by Ukraine and you can just make out the fuel drums.

Not a lot of PE included. Only five parts and all are for the engine cover grills.

I totally forgot I had a Tamiya PE scissors. I found it tucked away in a box I was digging through looking for paint. I think I bought it maybe around 15-20 years ago. It is really just a cuticle cutter you can buy in any store. I used it for the first time in November, 2023 since getting it 15-20 years ago. The one thing I don't like about it is that is has that curved end. With the curved end, it interferes getting in between the part and the edge of the runner that you need to trim the part from. It would be better if it had a straight end. Even with the curved end, it still cuts fine as I used it on the Meng PE. It just takes getting used to with the curved end.

PE attached.

Turret started. I still need to put the ERA on the front of it. I left them off as it is easier to prime/paint them and the turret before attaching them.

That's as far as I got with it when I stopped working on it back in November of last year.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 01:01:02 AM by Ramba »

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #943 on: January 24, 2024, 05:43:31 AM »
A couple of really nice projects

Offline Ramba

« Reply #944 on: January 24, 2024, 09:21:34 PM »
A couple of really nice projects

Thanks! I just need time to finish them.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #945 on: January 24, 2024, 10:06:51 PM »
Another kit I started back in August, 2022 but never posted. This one I got as a gift from my parents. The Trumpeter 1/35 T-72B3 w/4S24 ERA and Grating Cage. Another one that is on the waiting to finish list.

As usual with most armor kits, they start off with the lower hull.

The Trumpeter kit has the fenders separate from the hull and the fenders are kits in themselves.

The upper hull is only dry fitted for now and the fit is perfect.

Test fitting the fenders to the hull.

As with the Meng T-72B3M I posted earlier, Trumpeter says not to use the fuel drums. The reason they both say not to use the fuel drums is because of the rear slat armor. I will be using the fuel drums on both kits.

While Meng included the fuel lines, Trumpeter did not. In other Trumpeter kits, they include a black vinyl hose for the fuel lines. With my kit not including it, I had to find an appropriate sized vinyl tubing. I found a .5mm ID and 1mm OD vinyl tube from Aliexpress and is nice and flexible.

Got the turret started and also left off the front ERA for easier painting.

This kit includes the cope cage. It is only dry fitted to the turret.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #946 on: January 24, 2024, 10:08:44 PM »
Continuing with the Trumpeter T-72B3 w/4S24 ERA and Grating Cage.

I will be adding the Trumpeter KMT-6 mine plow. I bought the mine plow separately.

Here it is with the cope cage. Both only dry fitted for now.

In the first image below, you can see an abandoned Russian T-72B3M with the 4S24 ERA (they look almost empty), KMT-6 mine plow and fuel drums. Second image also shows the 4S24 ERA and fuel drums. While these don't show the cope cage, I will be using it on mine.

I will be using the Masterbox Ukrainian Soldiers, Defence of Kyiv figures with this kit.

Trumpeter provides an extensive set of PE.

You need to wrap the two PE ends around the plastic part to attach to the fenders.

Got some of the PE attached to the hull.

These PE discs go on the inside of the turret hatch. I plan to have the hatches open so I tortured myself to add the PE discs.

Most of the PE added to the turret and hull.

Trumpeter has the unditching log straps as PE parts. As you can see in the instructions, they don't actually show an exact location to attach them to.

I had to look up instructions from a different Trumpeter kit to find the actual location of the straps. The instructions are actually from their T-90 kit 05560.

Unditching log straps fitted. The bottom part is glued on but the top part is loose so I can fit the unditching log later. Well, the top part shown in the image is actually the bottom part as the hull is flipped over for the photo.

As with the Meng T-72B3M kit, this is as far as I got with the Trumpter kit as well.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 10:17:32 PM by Ramba »

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #947 on: January 25, 2024, 12:31:56 AM »
Good progress, but this Trumpeter kit is a perfect example of excessive use of PE. Those PE disks on the hatch could have easily been molded in and would have looked fine.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #948 on: January 25, 2024, 03:52:53 AM »
Good progress, but this Trumpeter kit is a perfect example of excessive use of PE. Those PE disks on the hatch could have easily been molded in and would have looked fine.

Thanks! Yeah, the Trumpeter PE set is a little much. Building both the Trumpeter and Meng side by side, you can see that Meng molded most of the detail instead of using PE. The PE does look good though but a lot of extra work involved.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #949 on: January 25, 2024, 02:59:49 PM »
Excellent work going on here, mate! :smiley: :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."