Author Topic: A few 1/35 IFV's and AFV's  (Read 132930 times)

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
Re: A few 1/35 IFV's and AFV's
« Reply #875 on: April 13, 2023, 08:18:28 AM »
I reckon the decalling worked out really well

Yes, the second set I printed laid down a lot better without the toner/ink crackling and rubbing off. I sprayed the clear coat first this time then added the Microscale liquid decal film after. The left side of the Land Rover has the first set of decals I printed where I used the Microscale liquid decal film first then the clear coat afterwards. Most of the left side shows the crackled decals so the right side looks a lot better. I will just say that the driver ran off the road and ran through some bushes that scratched up the left side  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sure it wasn't an angry Rhino taking revenge ? ???

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #876 on: April 13, 2023, 11:26:31 PM »
Wow - the zebra stripes look good!

Trumpeter makes a 1/35 African Warrior set.

It is Trumpeter, so you have to roll the dice with it. Good weapons? Yes. Human looking humans? Not always; they may look good on the sprues but the proportions can be way off. This set doesn't look great built up:

https://www.reddit.com/r/farcry/comments/xpk5tv/135_far_cry_3_somewhere_on_rook_island_miniatures/

The guy with the RPG looks like an alien's attempt at makiing a human:

A review

Thanks! Also thanks for the link to the Trumpeter figures. Yeah, I will pass on those. I have a couple Trumpeter figure sets and they are pretty bad so I already know about the awkward poses and caricature looking faces.

I was thinking about these FC Model Trend figures but a bit too pricey for me.
https://www.fcmodeltrend.com/35992-african-warlords-militia-tank-crew-set-2-135-scale-p-1-51-1512/?fbclid=IwAR0tFKxuKz5ANhSz7nfE_8-783J1FcWxHfKktr1pQYb0-ZxdG-VlJaN4H2U

https://www.fcmodeltrend.com/35989-african-warlords-militia-set-1-135-scale-p-1-51-1505/?fbclid=IwAR1Bzr-G6CKzdMItd-cpPJ-J-NoO-yW43fsWo-Nv2KmSJCp0dqfqi5TlK2E

Offline Ramba

« Reply #877 on: April 13, 2023, 11:30:34 PM »
@Ramba - I used to have a Godzilla/Kaiju that looked about the same as yours.  No idea where it wandered off to now but I did manage to scare one of my cats with the thing which was quite entertaining.  :smiley:

That Godzilla is a working model. It was an actual kit that you put together. The skin is a rubbery material so the arms and legs move a little. It also makes the Godzilla roar sound. It uses two double AA's if I remember correctly. I only tested it once and that was like 30 years ago or so.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #878 on: April 13, 2023, 11:33:22 PM »
I reckon the decalling worked out really well

Yes, the second set I printed laid down a lot better without the toner/ink crackling and rubbing off. I sprayed the clear coat first this time then added the Microscale liquid decal film after. The left side of the Land Rover has the first set of decals I printed where I used the Microscale liquid decal film first then the clear coat afterwards. Most of the left side shows the crackled decals so the right side looks a lot better. I will just say that the driver ran off the road and ran through some bushes that scratched up the left side  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sure it wasn't an angry Rhino taking revenge ? ???

Could be an angry rhino or bull elephant but I didn't dent the sides, it only has the crackled zebra stripe decals. An angry rhino or elephant attacking it would make for a great dio though but I don't have any of those animals. In 1/35, those would be pretty expensive though.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #879 on: April 13, 2023, 11:42:53 PM »
Masterbox has a couple of kits with good African figures:

Charlie on the Left! also has two Viet Cong figures. Great set. I built it

They also have the Somewhere on our planet. Sharing a smoke - the two kids can be modified.

Paracel has a few as well.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #880 on: April 14, 2023, 02:37:38 AM »
Masterbox has a couple of kits with good African figures:

Charlie on the Left! also has two Viet Cong figures. Great set. I built it

They also have the Somewhere on our planet. Sharing a smoke - the two kids can be modified.

Paracel has a few as well.

Thanks again for the links. I knew about the Paracel figures but WOW they are expensive. The Masterbox child soldiers smoking can be altered but I will pass on those too. Your Charlie on the Left figures came out great.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #881 on: April 16, 2023, 07:22:12 PM »
Almost done. Just a little more weathering needed. I added a driver's zebra print seat cover.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #882 on: April 17, 2023, 04:11:06 AM »
Wow! That looks great! Especially considering how Meh the underlying kit is.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #883 on: April 17, 2023, 11:54:51 PM »
Wow! That looks great! Especially considering how Meh the underlying kit is.

Thanks! It's not a great kit but it was still an enjoyable build. I have built way worse like the Airfix 1/48 Tornado GR1/1A. The one with the gray and green camo on the box art. That was the absolute worst kit I have ever tried putting together. It ended up in the trash. After attempting to build that kit, I won't complain about any other kits again.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #884 on: April 17, 2023, 11:58:17 PM »
Got the Meng ZPU painted yesterday. It is only test fitted for now as I still need to finish the weathering especially for the interior. I also lost the ammo box. No idea where it disappeared to. I have another Meng ZPU from the pickup truck kit so will have to rob the ammo box from that kit until I can find the missing one. I still need to add the head lights which are clear parts. I also need to paint the front and rear turn signals which were molded to the panels.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #885 on: April 19, 2023, 11:30:49 PM »
Seeing I am almost finished with the Testors Land Rover, I started on another project. It was actually started last year.

Hoping to have mine look like this one. It will be captured by the Ukrainians. It also has the FUZE Jammer.

I am using the Zvezda 1/35 GAZ Tiger-M W/Arbalet.

Live Resin Arbalet and RP-377VM1 FUZE Jammer. The Zvezda kit includes a decent Arbalet but I already had the Live Resin set from a few years ago that I was going to use on a what if build but decided to use it on the Tiger-M instead. The FUZE jammer isn't started yet.

Some in-progress shots. Got the parts primed.

Started painting the interior. The white and light ochre were painted this past weekend. This is as far as I got.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #886 on: April 22, 2023, 05:28:28 AM »
I got the two Eastern Express 1/35 GAZ-66 trucks primed last week. I got them from Jeffry Fontaine, thanks again Jeff.

Today I painted the green and tan camo over the black primer but I got a late start because I had to do some errands earlier. If I was able to start earlier I would probably have gotten all the tan camo done on the one kit.

This first one is still in the black primer exterior but I painted the overall green interior and bed today. This will be in some kind of camo scheme but not sure which scheme to do it in just yet. Still searching for a decent scheme. This one will have the Meng ZPU-4 in the bed.

The other one is in camo of green, black and tan but not all the tan is done because I got a late start and not enough time today to finish it. I can only paint outside and it is getting a bit late with the sun going down behind the mountain now. I will hopefully get the rest of the camo done tomorrow as not too much left to do.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #887 on: April 22, 2023, 05:35:47 PM »
Coming along nicely! :smiley: 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Ramba

« Reply #888 on: April 23, 2023, 12:16:54 AM »

Offline Ramba

« Reply #889 on: April 23, 2023, 12:20:38 AM »
Finished the camo painting on the GAZ-66 truck. Still a lot more to do including finishing the cab interior.

I also got the tan painted on the Dragon BMP-2. There is no black on it as I didn't prime it in black. Actually, I didn't prime it at all. I think it needs some black areas though to match the GAZ-66. Both will be on the same dio so I think it needs some black to match.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #890 on: April 23, 2023, 02:27:38 AM »
Looking good
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #891 on: April 23, 2023, 02:48:25 AM »
Looking good
No Kidding!  :smiley:

Those two Eastern Express GaZ-66 kits were quite disappointing and Ramaba has done quite a lot of work on bringing the things up to a standard that I would never have imagined possible.  Glad they are being put to a better purpose than taking up space in my stash.
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #892 on: April 23, 2023, 03:49:58 AM »
The Gaz-66 looks great. I have a soft spot for the EE Gaz-66 kits. They can be built up nicely with some effort, as Ramba shows. Eastern Express (or the company that originally made the molds) clearly tried to be as accurate as possible; their molding technology is what let them down.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #893 on: April 23, 2023, 07:34:22 AM »
Looking good

Thanks!

Looking good
No Kidding!  :smiley:

Those two Eastern Express GaZ-66 kits were quite disappointing and Ramaba has done quite a lot of work on bringing the things up to a standard that I would never have imagined possible.  Glad they are being put to a better purpose than taking up space in my stash.

Thanks! Thanks to you for the kits. They were an enjoyable build.

The Gaz-66 looks great. I have a soft spot for the EE Gaz-66 kits. They can be built up nicely with some effort, as Ramba shows. Eastern Express (or the company that originally made the molds) clearly tried to be as accurate as possible; their molding technology is what let them down.

Thanks! They were an enjoyable build. Not the best kits in terms of fit but once built up they look the part.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #894 on: April 23, 2023, 11:08:12 PM »
Got the black part of the camo painted on the BMP-2 yesterday right before the rain started. The paint guide I was using as reference doesn't have a lot of black on it though but I made the black a bit bigger than the guide shows. I used the Trumpeter BMP-2M Berezhok paint guide as reference.

The GAZ-66 and BMP-2 together.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #895 on: April 23, 2023, 11:12:26 PM »
 :smiley: :smiley: 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Ramba

« Reply #896 on: April 24, 2023, 08:11:21 AM »
Test fitting the figures. They are primed white because I am going to put camo decals on them and they are transparent. The instructions said to prime the figures white before applying. These aren't all the figures, I only showed the ones that will be in/on the vehicles.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #897 on: April 24, 2023, 08:28:30 AM »
 :smiley:

Offline Ramba

« Reply #898 on: May 01, 2023, 09:54:15 PM »
I changed my mind once again on the Tamiya Marder 1A2 what if. It is now a tank killer. I used the Hobby Boss PLA AFT-9 ATGM turret. Just test fitting the parts to see how it looks on the Marder hull.

China actually has a vehicle very similar to my what if Marder. The Chinese version is the ZDF89.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #899 on: May 01, 2023, 11:45:46 PM »
Looks like this will be a quick and easy conversion for the Marder and AFT-9 combination.  The best kind of kit bash! 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg