Author Topic: TaiidanTomcat Pixel Play  (Read 850 times)

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
TaiidanTomcat Pixel Play
« on: June 03, 2024, 11:11:11 PM »
I surely don't think of myself as a profiler by any stretch, I mostly use the paint program that came with my computer and I cut and paste some things together here and there. Whats neat is that I seem to inspire a couple a couple people. Which I think is pretty special. This is a repost of sorts, from a group build years back. but I think its a good start to getting my feet back on the ground.

This was from a GB idea about the US entering world war II earlier than 1941. It was an idea and some alterations that fell into my lap. I don't think all 3 images combined took me less than an hour to do. The key was just kind of finding images that would be easy to alter.

Here is what it inspired:

https://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=8963.0

https://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=9094.msg168135#msg168135

I'm hoping to do one or two myself when I get the time to bash some plastic again.  :smiley: have my mind on a carrier fighter version "PBJ" for the USN or USMC

I just think its so neat that a quick cut and paste from a quick idea can turn on lightbulbs in so many people.

"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
Re: TaiidanTomcat Pixel Play
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2024, 11:46:39 PM »
Good to see you back!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2024, 01:18:54 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2024, 02:45:08 AM »
I'm hoping to do one or two myself when I get the time to bash some plastic again.  :smiley: have my mind on a carrier fighter version "PBJ" for the USN or USMC
I stocked up on a pair of B-25J kits with the strafing nose (8 X .50" BMG) for a similar purpose sporting folding wings and a tail hook to create a PBJ-1J with CATOBAR features.  Other modifications would include swapping out the three-bladed propellers with four-bladed propellers from the P-51 Mustang.  I was hoping to create the illusion that the R-2600s would be replaced with R-2800s by simply removing the engine exhaust stubs on the engine cowlings.  And that is about as far as I got with the project as it sits here within arms reach in the stash. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2024, 06:12:15 AM »
Good to see you back!

Thank you, that's about the finest comment I could hope for.  :smiley:

I stocked up on a pair of B-25J kits with the strafing nose (8 X .50" BMG) for a similar purpose sporting folding wings and a tail hook to create a PBJ-1J with CATOBAR features.  Other modifications would include swapping out the three-bladed propellers with four-bladed propellers from the P-51 Mustang.  I was hoping to create the illusion that the R-2600s would be replaced with R-2800s by simply removing the engine exhaust stubs on the engine cowlings.  And that is about as far as I got with the project as it sits here within arms reach in the stash.

That has a lot of potential! the R2800 idea is very clever as well. I'm embarrased to say I was aware of the B-25s used in the Doolittle Raid of course, but only recently saw that a PBJ did in fact do some carrier test on the USS Shangri-la in 1944. Always fun when a "far fetched" idea is a little close to reality than you thought.

-David Fincher

Online raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2024, 06:43:00 AM »
 :smiley: Needs black paint.  Would make a good night-fighter (like Germany's He-219 Owl) during the German night bombing of Britain, 1940.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2024, 12:29:04 PM »
That has a lot of potential! the R2800 idea is very clever as well. I'm embarrased to say I was aware of the B-25s used in the Doolittle Raid of course, but only recently saw that a PBJ did in fact do some carrier test on the USS Shangri-la in 1944. Always fun when a "far fetched" idea is a little close to reality than you thought.
Some of the USMC PBJs were armed with the 5.0"/127mm HVAR on underwing ZLL stubs for antishipping missions.  Then there is the Tiny Tim rocket modification that had a pair of those rockets strapped to the outside of the bomb bay doors.  Another feature I would really like to add to the PBJ project. 

You may find this video interesting: YouTube > British Pathé > Tiny Tim Rocket (1946)

My preference for the strafing version was in consideration of the crew safety.  The bombardier/navigator in the nose on a carrier launch where it failed would certainly jeopardize the life and safety of that crew member so it made sense to stick with the strafing version and leave the bomber role for a land based PBJ where the safety issues are lessened. 

***Edit to add YouTube video link--jjf
« Last Edit: June 04, 2024, 01:20:31 PM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2024, 10:52:29 PM »
Thanks for the inspiration, mate! :icon_alabanza:

It's still one of my favourite builds! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2024, 09:56:29 PM »

Thank you for the Video Mr Fontaine!

Thanks for the inspiration, mate! :icon_alabanza:

It's still one of my favourite builds! :smiley:

I think its a fantastic model and I was impressed with the additional glass for the new style cockpit

speaking of glass I came across this year back from fellow BTS member Small Brown Dog:

I love B-29s but in all my years it had never occured to me, to give one of them a solid, glass free nose. It set off a spark!  :icon_surprised:

a quick note these are all from Mark Styling. I just cut and pasted. be aware to that they are "shrunk" or "expanded" to fit. They may not go together as nicely in plastic.

B-29 with B-52 features^

B-52 with B-29 style cockpit^ . you can see there my plans on how to make it happen in plastic (secret!)  ;)

I want to backdate a B-52 to an EF 132 style but for the USA and with the B-29 glass shown above someday

A little shrunken, and with no engine pods.  :smiley:

-David Fincher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2024, 02:42:31 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Glanini

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2024, 07:45:14 PM »
What a marvel