Author Topic: Litvyak's profiles  (Read 204828 times)

Offline Litvyak

• Shifting between quantum realities...
  • Althistorian & profiler...& the 1st lady of whiff
    • Dominion of British Columbia
Re: Litvyak's profiles
« Reply #175 on: May 20, 2012, 12:21:51 AM »

443 Sqn remained an Air Reserve squadron, and in 1958 the lettering on its aircraft was also changed to the AB+3 system. As was the case with 442's Expeditors, due to the small size of the aircraft, the lettering was adjusted to fit - the 'RCAF' after the roundel was omitted, but full-text titles over the windows were added.

New painting schemes were introduced across the board for RCAF aircraft. For Air Reserve aircraft, the new specification changed the scheme from bare metal with yellow striping to overall white, with the yellow retained in the same position. 443 Sqn's Expeditors wore this scheme until 1964, when their aircraft were retired and the unit stood down.

442 Sqn's Expeditors, however, were repainted into the new standard scheme for transport aircraft of white over sky blue with a red lightning stripe.

In 1964, the type was redesignated CT-120 Expeditor (serials 128400-128478) - the 'trainer' designation being assigned due to the aircraft being used primarily for navigation and crew training. Despite this, the aircraft retained the standard transport painting scheme.

The final change made to the CT-128's appearance was the replacement of the old roundels with new-leaf roundels in 1965. Not all had the change made, however, as by late 1965 the first had been retired, and some were withdrawn before having received the new roundels. The last RCAF Expeditor was retired in 1967 and is now on display at the Museum of Flight in Langley, BC.
"God save our Queen and heaven bless the Maple Leaf forever!"

Dominion of BC - https://dominionofbc.miraheze.org/wiki/British_Columbia

"Bernard, this doesn't say anything!" "Why thank you, Prime Minister."

Offline RussC

• Our own personal dragon trainer...with a flying wing fetish
  • Resident Painter
« Reply #176 on: May 20, 2012, 04:37:36 AM »
Great selection of schemes. That Black Caribou just has sinister dripping off of it somehow. Looks like something that land quietly and leaves quickly with lots of carnage in between. I never had a chance to build my 144 scale Expeditor resin kit. Like the H5 ' s.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #177 on: May 20, 2012, 05:53:22 AM »
How about a scaled-up Dynavert as a joint Canadair-Bell effort with the engine nacelles moved out to the wing tips and using prop rotors without the interfaace problems that rotating nacelles have (sheesh you wouldn't believe how congested that area gets).  For those who don't need the stowing wing and nacelles, this would work well; it could also be adapted to a modified Dash 8 fuselage.

Evan: Out of curiousity, why move the nacelles out to the tip? It was my impression that Irbitis was trying to keep air flow from the props moving over the flaps/ailerons in the hover.
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline apophenia

« Reply #178 on: May 20, 2012, 05:56:34 AM »
Litvyak: Gotta love the Expeditor. Maybe an updated PT6-powered version circa 1963?

AltCan Canadair: Keeping Canadair a Crown Corp is wise (one RW viewpoint would be that Canadair becomes a milchcow for Electric Boat begetting General Dynamics ... although that is probably slanted jingoism and a bit simplistic.

Canadair might be a less tempting target for Toronto journos if the tax money was spread outside of Montreal. How about Canadair takes over CCF's aircraft facilities? That wouldd give Canadair additional assembly shops in Ontario (Fort William/Thunder Bay) and possibly Nova Scotia (the old CCF Amherst plant reborn?).

CL-84 evolution: RW Canadair was planning a range of CL-84 variants including ground attack types (with side-by-side or tandem canopies) and the slightly enlarged CL-84 SCS (for the USN's Sea Control Ship concept). The SCS version was to powered by GE T64 turboshafts, so you've got some commonality there with the Buffalo.

For an further enlarged version, you've got two RW stepping-off points. One is Canadair's original CL-62 tactical transport (for NBMR 4), the other is the later CL-246 twin-wing airliner design. The latter has the advantage of a pressurized fuselage but didn't have full wing tilt.

You might combine the two concepts. A shortened CL-246 derivative with full wing-tilt gives a fully VTOL civilian companion to the STOL CL-246 aircraft. A related design with a rear loading-ramp gives you a VTOL tactical transport for the RCAF.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #179 on: May 20, 2012, 09:57:44 AM »
How about a scaled-up Dynavert as a joint Canadair-Bell effort with the engine nacelles moved out to the wing tips and using prop rotors without the interfaace problems that rotating nacelles have (sheesh you wouldn't believe how congested that area gets).  For those who don't need the stowing wing and nacelles, this would work well; it could also be adapted to a modified Dash 8 fuselage.

Evan: Out of curiousity, why move the nacelles out to the tip? It was my impression that Irbitis was trying to keep air flow from the props moving over the flaps/ailerons in the hover.
Mainly because efficient propr-rotors have to be large and putting the engine nacelles at the end of the wings allows the maximum blade length.  The V-22's moving blades come quite close to the fuselage.

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #180 on: May 20, 2012, 10:04:21 AM »
Great selection of schemes. That Black Caribou just has sinister dripping off of it somehow. Looks like something that land quietly and leaves quickly with lots of carnage in between. I never had a chance to build my 144 scale Expeditor resin kit. Like the H5 ' s.

Thanks! :)

Oddly enough, though, that black Caribou is a base flight bird, painted black like that for /high/ visibility!

I recently finished a 1/72 Expeditor as a RW RCN bird, the Pioneer2 kit. It wasn't the best kit I've ever built, but it looks okay on the shelf if you don't take too close a look... though it definitely needed the resin Wasp Juniors from Engines & Things - the kit parts were pure rubbish.

Litvyak: Gotta love the Expeditor. Maybe an updated PT6-powered version circa 1963?

Ooh, there's an idea. As I've read, it was first tested on a Bugsmasher, too, so that'd be perfectly appropriate! I think I should be able to adapt the nacelles of a Super King Air to work with an Expeditor's wing...

Quote from: apophenia
AltCan Canadair: Keeping Canadair a Crown Corp is wise (one RW viewpoint would be that Canadair becomes a milchcow for Electric Boat begetting General Dynamics ... although that is probably slanted jingoism and a bit simplistic.

Canadair might be a less tempting target for Toronto journos if the tax money was spread outside of Montreal. How about Canadair takes over CCF's aircraft facilities? That wouldd give Canadair additional assembly shops in Ontario (Fort William/Thunder Bay) and possibly Nova Scotia (the old CCF Amherst plant reborn?).

That's a good idea, and it gives me some inspiration to do some more research and work out some AltCan corporate histories. I like the CC&F idea!

And I just had another idea hit me, as regards DHC and Canadair: DHC was doing reasonably well, but overestimated just how well, and bought Boeing's Canadian operations (in... when. I need to figure that out. Early 80s?)... but that turned out to be an overreach, leading to financial difficulties for the company. The government gets unnerved by the prospect of losing not one but two important firms in the aerospace sector, and decides to intervene, making what's essentially an "unrefuseable offer" to the majority shareholders; DHC thus becomes a sort of "3P Corporation", in that the Crown holds 55% of the stock, the other 45% is openly traded on the TSX...

Quote from: apophenia
CL-84 evolution: RW Canadair was planning a range of CL-84 variants including ground attack types (with side-by-side or tandem canopies) and the slightly enlarged CL-84 SCS (for the USN's Sea Control Ship concept). The SCS version was to powered by GE T64 turboshafts, so you've got some commonality there with the Buffalo.

For an further enlarged version, you've got two RW stepping-off points. One is Canadair's original CL-62 tactical transport (for NBMR 4), the other is the later CL-246 twin-wing airliner design. The latter has the advantage of a pressurized fuselage but didn't have full wing tilt.

You might combine the two concepts. A shortened CL-246 derivative with full wing-tilt gives a fully VTOL civilian companion to the STOL CL-246 aircraft. A related design with a rear loading-ramp gives you a VTOL tactical transport for the RCAF.

These are all interesting ideas... is there a source for further info, concept art maybe? (I'd have a similar question for a few other Canadair projects - CL-43, 45, 95, 97, 98, 99 and 203...).

That gets me thinking, too: who would get that big VTOL tactical transport, the RCAF or CAA? ;D

Offline AGRA

• Took the opportunity to tease us with a RAAF F-82
« Reply #181 on: May 20, 2012, 10:21:49 AM »
I have a copy of an Air Enthusiast edition that has an article about Canadair paper planes including some tilt wings and a four engine tilt wing transport. I'll fire up the old scanner and post a copy of this article here unless anyone objects?

Offline apophenia

« Reply #182 on: May 20, 2012, 11:11:57 AM »
AGRA: That "four engine tilt wing transport" is the CL-246 project that I was talking about.

As the cutaway in that Air Enthusiast article shows, wing tilt was only 15° (IIRC). I was postulating a full 90° tilt version for STOL

These are all interesting ideas... is there a source for further info, concept art maybe? (I'd have a similar question for a few other Canadair projects - CL-43, 45, 95, 97, 98, 99 and 203...).

Litvyak: I'll email you about those Canadair projects.

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #183 on: May 20, 2012, 11:30:52 AM »
And so...

In 1964, the RCAF had five CT-128s rebuilt, replacing the Wasp Junior engines with the Pratt & Whitney Canada PT-6A. The new aircraft were designated CT-128A Expeditor and were returned to 442 Sqn. The first five - 8423, 8441, 8477 and 8478 - were joined in 1965 by two more, 8470 and 8471, and by an eighth and final one in 1966, 8475. After the retirement of the as-built Bugsmashers in 1967, a detachment of the squadron was moved to the recently-opened CFJB Terrace (BC). This detachment took all 8 CT-128As with them, using them to provide scheduled passenger and light cargo service on socially important but unprofitable routes in northern BC, northern Alberta and the Yukon until 1978, when the BC and Yukon governments bought the eight aircraft and continued the service as a two-province Crown corporation under the name of Aurora Airways.

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
« Reply #184 on: May 20, 2012, 11:35:26 AM »
The Army of the Republic of China was largest single operator of CL-84s in the world, having operated a total of 28 units. Fifteen were delivered in 1967 and thirteen in 1968. They enjoyed a long life in ROCA service, the last Chinese Dynavert being retired in 1994.

Where is Henry Yeh when we need him?  Or maybe they'll see some actions around the communist Manchuria  ;D

Awesome regardless.  :)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 11:37:12 AM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #185 on: May 20, 2012, 11:46:20 AM »
Who is Henry Yeh?

To clarify, I'm writing the descriptive paragraphs from an in-universe viewpoint; as Canada recognises only the Taipei government as the legitimate government of all China, they obviously wouldn't say "Taiwanese Army". Generally, in print anyways, RW-Taiwan is referred to as "Republic of China" or "ROC", while RW-PRC is referred to varyingly as "Communist-occupied mainland China", "Red China" or - very rarely, primarily in left-wing periodicals - as the "People's Republic of China". The word "China" is very rarely used in any official setting, and when it is, it refers to the Taipei government.

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
« Reply #186 on: May 20, 2012, 12:03:33 PM »
Who is Henry Yeh?

A fellow currently working on a ROC on Mainland China Post-1950 story.

Communist Manchuria was first thought up by arc3371.

Both timelines depict Nationalist victory at the Chinese Civil War.

To clarify, I'm writing the descriptive paragraphs from an in-universe viewpoint; as Canada recognises only the Taipei government as the legitimate government of all China, they obviously wouldn't say "Taiwanese Army". Generally, in print anyways, RW-Taiwan is referred to as "Republic of China" or "ROC", while RW-PRC is referred to varyingly as "Communist-occupied mainland China", "Red China" or - very rarely, primarily in left-wing periodicals - as the "People's Republic of China". The word "China" is very rarely used in any official setting, and when it is, it refers to the Taipei government.

I did move from Taiwan to Canada after all, so I know the in-universe POV.  I was just messing around.   ;)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 12:08:27 PM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #187 on: May 20, 2012, 08:56:24 PM »

Where is Henry Yeh when we need him?

He's only an invite away.... ;)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #188 on: May 21, 2012, 06:44:39 AM »
No new profiles for the moment, but I did get some initial sketches done on AltCan's more important aerospace companies - Avro Aerospace, Bristol Aerospace, Canadair, de Havilland Canada, Fairey-Fleet, Orenda Aerospace and Pratt & Whitney Canada:

Avro Aerospace, Ltd.
   One of the Big Three of Canada's aerospace industry. Established in 1945, it is a privately owned company and is the second-largest employer in the Dominion. Best known for its production of military and civilian aircraft ranging from fighters to airliners, Avro is involved in a very wide array of manufacturing outside of the aerospace fields. Avro Transit Ltd. and Avro Railcar Ltd. are wholly-owned subsidiaries established after Avro took over Canadian Car & Foundry's non-aviation divisions; Canadian Applied Research, Ltd. is another subsidiary most notable for its development of the Canadarm for the American Space Shuttle. Other important subsidiaries are Dominion Steel & Coal Corporation, the Sydney & Louisburg Railway, Algoma Steel and Halifax Shipyards, Ltd.

Bristol Aerospace, Ltd.
   Established in 1930, by the end of the Second World War MacDonald Bros. Aircraft Co. had become one of the most important repair and overhaul centres for the RCAF. In 1954 it was purchased by the British Bristol Aeroplane Co. and was renamed Bristol Aeroplane Company of Canada. Its primary work was the manufacture of seaplane floats and engine components, in the 1960s diversifying into developing air-launched weapons systems and components for the Canadian Space Program. In 1960 the British parent company was incorporated into British Aircraft Corporation, and Bristol Canada was bought by an ownership group comprised of Rolls-Royce, de Havilland Canada and North American Aviation. It was renamed Bristol Aerospace, Ltd. in 1967, and since 1973 it is publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange. Over the years Bristol has drifted away from its roots in aircraft maintenance and component manufacture, and is now focussed on its air-launched weapons systems and systems for the Canadian Space Administration.

Canadair
   One of the Big Three. Formed in 1944 as a Crown corporation, absorbing the operations of Canadian Vickers Ltd. In 1950 Canadair signed a long-term cooperation agreement with Convair of the USA, which was a merger in all but theory, as the Canadian government retained a 50%+1 majority of the ownership in the company. Three years later, after Electric Boat Co. bought Convair and merged to form General Dynamics, the government repurchased the other 49.9%  company from GD. In 1957 Canadair absorbed Canadian Car & Foundry's aviation interests, expanding its manufacturing capability with the addition of the CC&F plants in Ontario. Canadair has since become one of the supporting pillars of the Canadian aerospace industry, alongside de Havilland Canada and Avro Aerospace.

de Havilland Aircraft of Canada, Ltd.
   One of the Big Three. Formed in 1928 as a subsidiary of the British de Havilland Aircraft Co., producing trainers and, during the war, the Mosquito. Following the war DHC began production of indigenous designs that became vitally important to Canada, as well as undertaking licence production of aircraft for the Royal Canadian Navy (CP-121, CE-121, CC-121). Following national control during the war, the company was reprivatised in 1947. It also took an important role in the development of the testbed hydrofoil HMCS Bras d'Or, and, subsequently, the Valiant-class ASW patrol hydrofoils delivered to the RCN between 1972 and 1974. DHC was also instrumental in getting the Canadian space program underway with the design and construction of the DHC Solaris launch rocket in 1966.
   The DHC-7 commuter airliner became an important product, entering service in 1977. The success of the Dash 7 led to the development of the DHC-8 ("Dash 8") which was to become an even greater commercial success after its introduction to service in 1984. However, the board of directors overestimated the health of the company in 1980 when it acquired Boeing's Canadian operations, and despite the resounding success of the Dash 8 DHC found itself in financial difficulties, and in 1987, fearing the collapse of a vital part of the Canadian aerospace industry, the government took over controlling interest of the company by acquiring 55% of the stock and leaving the remaining 45% publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange.

Fairey-Fleet Ltd.
   Fleet Aircraft of Canada Ltd. was established in 1928 in Fort Erie (Ont.) after Reuben Fleet acquired the foreign rights to the American Consolidated Aircraft Co.'s light trainer aircraft. Fleet manufactured various trainers for the RCAF and light aircraft for civil aviation. In 1957 it was acquired by the Government of Canada, continuing operation as a Crown corporation.
   After Westland Aircraft took over the British Fairey Aviation Co. Ltd.'s aviation interests in 1960, the Canadian Government purchased Fairey Canada from Fairey UK. Fairey Canada Ltd. operated as an independent Crown corporation for two years. In 1962 it was merged with Fleet to form Fairey-Fleet Ltd, and in 1968 it absorbed Found Bros. Aviation Ltd.
   Fairey-Fleet is active in the manufacture and development of a wide array of aviation-related equipment; one notable achievement was the invention of the Beartrap shipborne helicopter recovery system in the early 1960s. The Fleet Aerospace Division is focussed on helicopters and components, while Fairey undertakes aircraft maintenance and overhaul, flight control systems and other hydraulic equipment, instruments, and has recently begun serial production of the Fairey Trigull amphibious aircraft for the civilian general aviation market.

Orenda Aerospace, Ltd.
   Established in 1944 as a Crown corporation named Turbo Research, from the start it dealt exclusively with jet propulsion. In 1946 it was sold to Avro Canada, of which it has been a wholly-owned subsidiary ever since. Orenda's engines have been a vital part of Canadian aviation, powering the majority of jet-powered aircraft in Canadian military service, as well as being in use around the world in civilian and military applications.

Pratt & Whitney Canada, Ltd.
   A wholly-owned subsidiary of the American Pratt & Whitney company established in 1928 as a service centre for P&W engines, since 1952 it develops and manufactures turbine engines. PWC engines power a large portion of turboprop-powered aircraft in Canada, and also enjoy great popularity around the world.

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #189 on: May 23, 2012, 08:49:07 PM »
Some new profiles I've had finished for a while but have been lazy to put up...

The RCAF received eight Dassault Falcon 20 in 1967. Designated CC-117 Falcon (serials 117001-117008), they were operated by 412 Sqn as VIP transports until their retirement in 1988, spending their entire RCAF career in this scheme.

In 1979, three CC-117s - 117003, 117004 and 117007 - were rebuilt for the EW role and redesignated CE-117 Falcon. They were assigned to 414 Sqn and repainted into the standard dark grey used on ELINT aircraft.

The CE-117s had their high-visibility lettering replaced with loviz lettering in 1988, but they retained the overall 501-302 finish. They were retired in 1991.

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #190 on: May 23, 2012, 09:00:32 PM »
These were based on suggestions from Apophenia - thanks! :)

Fifteen Found FBA.2 trainers were taken up by Canadian Army Aviation in 1963, numbered 20 through 34 and designated Fawn AT.3. The possibility of easily re-equipping them with skis or floats led to their frequent use in training CAA pilots for water or snow landings. They remained in service until 1968, when under the AFRP they were transferred to the RCAF. They were not operated by the RCAF, however, instead were donated for use by the Royal Canadian Air Cadets.

Army Aviation operated 7 Fleet Finch trainers from 1946 until 1949, with the designation Finch.

The RCAF had 59 Fleet Finch Mk. II trainers on strength in 1946. They were used by the Central Flying School, but after the decision was made to standardise with the DHC Chipmunk, the Finches were retired and sold, the last being gone by the end of 1947.

In 1949 the Canadian Army took delivery of 45 Fleet 80 Canuck light aircraft, designating them Finch II. Redesignated Finch AT.2 in 1951, they were used in training and liaison duties until 1968. Like the Fawns, under the terms of the AFRP they were transferred to the RCAF, who sold them off instead of continuing to use them; several were donated to the Air Cadets.

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #191 on: May 23, 2012, 09:15:05 PM »

The Royal Canadian Navy had 25 Fairey Firefly on strength in 1946. Operated by VF 830 and VF 831, both based on shore at RCNAS Shearwater, the aircraft of the two units rotated to and from deployments to HMCS Warrior from 1946 to 1948. In 1948, Warrior was replaced by HMCS Magnificent, and the deployments continued as before. The Fireflies wore the standard sea camo from 1946 until 1950.

In 1950 the Fireflies were repainted into the new slate over grey scheme and redesignated CFF1 Firefly. They remained in service until 1954.

A total of 22 Grumman Goose flying boats were on strength with the RCN Fleet Air Arm in 1946. The sixteen JRF-5s were designated Goose Mk. II (serials 9001-9016), while the six G-21D were designated Goose Mk. III (serials 9017-9022). All were used in the SAR role by VP 854 based at RCNAS Patricia Bay (BC).

New lettering standards were introduced by the RCN in 1950, along with a new designation system that redesignated the Geese CPG1A Goose (JRF-5) and CPG1B Goose (G-21D). VP 854 was redeployed in 1957 to HMCS Cape Young (NWT), and the Geese were retired in 1959 and sold to private buyers.

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #192 on: May 23, 2012, 09:29:09 PM »

VR 840's Dakotas were joined in 1957 by eight Grumman C-1 Traders in 1957, giving the RCN more significant COD capability than what helicopters could accomplish. Designated CCG1 Trader (serials 1501-1508), they remained in service until their replacement by the Greyhound in 1967. All eight were sold to the Netherlands.

The Traders were replaced in 1967 by the Grumman C-2 Greyhound, which under the RCN designation scheme were known as CCG2 Greyhound. Thirty were delivered in 1967 (serials 1601-1630) and split between two squadrons, VRC 840 and VRC 842. The factory-applied slate over grey scheme was not long to remain, however, as the blue over grey was introduced the following year.

In 1968 the Greyhounds were repainted into the new standard dark sea blue over grey scheme. With the introduction of the Unified Aircraft Designation System that year the CCG2s were redesignated CC-121 Greyhound and given the new serials 121201-121230. VRC 840's CC-121s wore this scheme until their retirement and replacement by the CC-121A in 1988; VRC 842's Greyhounds looked like this until 1971.

In 1971, the RCN commissioned the new carrier HMCS Queen Charlotte. VRC 842 was reassigned to the new carrier, and its aircraft were relettered appropriately. They retained this scheme until 1988, when the CC-121 were retired and replaced by the CC-121A.

In 1988, 35 new-construction Greyhounds were delivered to the RCN. Designated CC-121A Greyhound (serials 121701-121735), they arrived from the factory in the new loviz grey scheme. They underwent a modernisation in 2006-07 that extended their service life to beyond 2030. Though currently split between VRC 840 on HMCS Bonaventure and VRC 842 on HMCS Queen Charlotte, they will be split three ways in 2015, when VRC 841 is to be reactivated for deployment to HMCS Magnificent scheduled to commission that year.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #193 on: May 24, 2012, 07:53:37 AM »
Nice to see Fleet getting a look in Litvyak! The Found Bros built boxy-looking airplanes but the Canuck/Finch AT.2 looks very perky in CA yellow  :)

Online finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #194 on: May 24, 2012, 01:11:04 PM »
Greyhounds process thru my kit-bashing mind as having:
Gun turret on top.
F-14 or F-18 radome in nose
Air-to-Air missiles under wings
Yes - wacco.....

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #195 on: May 25, 2012, 10:56:11 AM »

Well, I've started working on a new design for the CF-305, one that doesn't look like a YF-23 and an F-22 got busy in a secluded hangar. Rather, I tried to do one that's inspired by/at least vaguely reminiscent of Avro's P.450...

Anyone have any suggestions how it could be made more plausible, before I put more work into making a finished drawing?

One I've already thought of is perhaps to make that long goose-neck shorter...

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #196 on: May 25, 2012, 11:02:20 AM »
From what I see there, you need to tweak the inlets a bit if you're going for the diverter-less inlets like the F-35 has; there's an aerodynamic reason for the bump just forward of the inlet.  Have you considered moving the main wing aft and replacing the horizontal tails with planform-aligned canards?  Something a bit cleaner than the J-20's take on that?

Offline Litvyak

« Reply #197 on: May 25, 2012, 11:36:40 AM »
Canards: That would make the thing look even /more/ like the P.450! I'll play around with that some and see what result I can come up with.

Thanks for the pointer about the intakes, I'll take another look at that, too; yes, the idea was for inlets like the F-35's.

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #198 on: May 25, 2012, 11:59:48 AM »
-shrug- What can I say?  I lived for four years working on the F-35 and became quite familiar with it (hard not to when you're designing the inner details).  As I said, planform-aligned canards would work well and be something different.  What size aircraft are we talking about?  I can probably throw out some suggestions for engines and such.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #199 on: May 25, 2012, 09:44:01 PM »
Interesting...
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.