Author Topic: Old Concrete Road  (Read 1250 times)

Offline tiking

• Under investigation for passing off photos of real vehicles as models
  • Master Weatherer
Old Concrete Road
« on: May 30, 2023, 05:01:46 AM »
I've been working on the diorama, in the above post, for a few of my trucks. I decided I wanted an old truck yard(obviously, its me), where old or almost run down trucks and trailers can be parked. I wanted the old concrete look and miscellaneous objects lying here and there to give more visual interest. So here is the start of this theme I have in my head. I intend on spreading the wall further down the diorama with more concrete and brick work for more added details and visual interest.

My methods:

1. I mixed the tile grout very heavily with moderate water to allow for quick drying.

2. I used grout (thick consistency) then I Spread it on the area, using a metal spreader. I did this outside, when the sun was out and let the heat dry the surface of the grout. As this dried quickly, it slowly produced the minuscule cracks you see.

3. Took a sponge and dabbed certain areas with it. I continued to sponge certain areas to give the grainy patches you see in a few of the photos.

4. I used a small spreader to draw over the grout to produce some of the half broken concrete patches; sub-levels, and other small u level, rocky crevices you see.

5. Then I used a black wash and let that dried for a day. Then went over it again with the same black wash. Then let it dried for an hour, then went over it with a brown wash. I will go over it again, to knock back the brown again. Will post the complete diorama when done. Hope this helps those who are probably wondering how I achieved this results.

Charles
Nothing is incapable beyond what you are capable

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
Re: Old Concrete Road
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2023, 10:02:47 AM »
That is the best busted up parking lot I’ve ever seen! The grout technique gives the structure and the wash makes it real. The only thing I might ask is if there is a way to scratch or scribe some joint lines? Probably too late for that here. Looks awesome!

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2023, 05:20:08 PM »
That looks great! 8)

The wall is excellent. too! :smiley:

The only thing I might ask is if there is a way to scratch or scribe some joint lines? Probably too late for that here. Looks awesome!

Kerick has a point but it doesn't change the overall awesomeness. ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline tiking

• Master Weatherer
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2023, 06:08:49 PM »
That is the best busted up parking lot I’ve ever seen! The grout technique gives the structure and the wash makes it real. The only thing I might ask is if there is a way to scratch or scribe some joint lines? Probably too late for that here. Looks awesome!

I tought about that after the grout had dried, but I will give it a try regardless. Glad you liked the results.
Charles

Offline tiking

• Master Weatherer
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2023, 06:09:30 PM »
That looks great! 8)

The wall is excellent. too! :smiley:

The only thing I might ask is if there is a way to scratch or scribe some joint lines? Probably too late for that here. Looks awesome!

Kerick has a point but it doesn't change the overall awesomeness. ;)

Thank you.
Charles

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2023, 10:01:58 PM »
I might try an old razor saw blade and lightly scribe with a straight edge. If it chips a little it’s no big deal. Will you spray on some clear acrylic or something to keep the dust from clinging to it?

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2023, 11:49:07 PM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline tiking

• Master Weatherer
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2023, 12:36:33 AM »
I might try an old razor saw blade and lightly scribe with a straight edge. If it chips a little it’s no big deal. Will you spray on some clear acrylic or something to keep the dust from clinging to it?

Already made the scribes. Thank you.
Charles

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2023, 09:09:33 AM »
Okay, enough with the reference pictures! Where's the model?

;)
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"