Author Topic: 1/35 Ukrainian Merkava IV (Academy)  (Read 8543 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
1/35 Ukrainian Merkava IV (Academy)
« on: May 22, 2023, 04:13:02 PM »
I started this build some time ago (last year, so not as long ago as some (Kerick ;) )) with the intention of making it a Royal Australian Marines vehicle but I also have the much nicer, if more intricate, Meng Merk IV.

So, recent events & an image posted by Greg over in the More Challenger 2s for Ukraine? thread (below) warped my thoughts on this &, therefore, the Meng kit will be the RAMs tank & this Academy build will become the Ukrainian build.

The build is already at the painting stage &, despite my memory thinking it had indy tracks, it comes with link-&-length tracks (Thank the Gods! :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza: ); So progress from here should be relatively straight forward & quick (he types, touching everything wood within arms reach, including his head).

I'll post pictures of the kit as-is tomorrow sometime, as I won't be starting it for a few days, at least.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: 1/35 Ukrainian Merkava IV (Academy)
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2023, 12:32:38 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2023, 07:36:10 AM »
I started this build some time ago (last year, so not as long ago as some (Kerick ;) ))

I heard that…… ;)

I hope to see more pics soon. It looks very interesting!

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2023, 03:04:58 PM »
Photo's of the current state of play:

Because of a couple of changes to how I want the Ukrainian tank to be fitted out there will be a small amount of styrene work before I progress with painting.

Still a lot of tidying to do (the first photo shows the only real cleared area on the entire desk).

So, a couple of days & I may get a few bits done, but then I'll be away for a few days going over to the Eyre Peninsula to visit the grandson & bring my wife back from helping out #1 daughter for a few months.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2023, 11:30:41 PM »
Me being me, the tidy up has gone on hold & I've started doing the styrene mod's to make this a Ukrainian tank. ::) :D

Going well, so far. :smiley:  [Touch wood .... LOTS of wood!]

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2023, 08:44:46 AM »
Me being me, the tidy up has gone on hold  :D

Good !  I hate it when mess gets in the way of creativeness.  Wondering what will be added >:D

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2023, 09:50:49 AM »
Not a lot, really. It already had a mod or two planned for when it was going to be a RAM's tank & there's, really, only one other mod .

I want to put a Legend Productions IDF Droid ATMD on her*, but they're not available & I don't have one.

So, I'll build her as per the plan & when/if the Droid systems become available I'll get one & add it then.

[*: Largely because I don't want to go to the effort of putting on a Trophy system, & there doesn't seem to be one for the Academy kit, anyway.]

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2023, 12:05:50 AM »
Can't wait to see this finished. The Legend IDF DROID is a great piece. You can always add it later.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2023, 07:46:13 AM »
Thanks, mate! :smiley:

A few days away from home, now. So I'll get back to her when I return.

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2023, 07:27:05 AM »
If you can't get the Legends one why not build your own whif "Ukrainian" version ?

I made this one up out of warhammer bases, M-60 track pads & a few other bits.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2023, 10:46:42 AM »
A green Merkava (even in bits) looks weird! :-\

I've used SMS paint PL82 Protective Green (for WW2 Russian AFV's) for the base colour.

Still a few more parts to do in this colour, then I'll work on the "big digital" camouflage markings.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2023, 07:41:09 PM »
A green Merkava (even in bits) looks weird! :-\

I've used SMS paint PL82 Protective Green (for WW2 Russian AFV's) for the base colour.

Still a few more parts to do in this colour, then I'll work on the "big digital" camouflage markings.

Ukraine is using different greens other than that dark green. Here is an M2A2 in a new digital camo with different greens.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2023, 10:52:17 PM »
The Bradleys seem to have a 3-colour scheme (two greens & a sand - possibly a Spring scheme?), which seems to be the norm for Ukrainian vehicles.

The PL82 looks fairly close to the dark green on the Bradleys but I also have a similar light green, a red-brown & a vaguely similar sand colour for the digital colours.

I may stick with the most common 3-colour scheme that I've seen for the Merkava (dark green/brown/sand - Autumn?), or I may go 4 colours (dark green/light green/brown/sand), plus a partial over-wash of white (Yes, it'll be a Winter scheme).

PS: Nice photo, by the way, it may influence the final scheme quite a bit. :smiley:
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 10:54:08 PM by Old Wombat »

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2023, 11:47:55 AM »
Primary painting completed! :smiley:

I'm going to start work on weathering & assembling some of it over the next couple of days (mostly the undersides) & then I'll work on the camo scheme.

Going to have to find a commander figure, too. Pretty sure I've got a few lying around ... somewhere. ;)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2023, 10:36:17 PM »
Currently waiting for the "mud" to dry on the Merkava's underside & track run. ;)

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2023, 06:31:24 AM »
Be a nice take on a Merkava. Interested to see how it looks

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2023, 02:27:45 PM »
Thanks, BT! :smiley:

I'll be interested to she how she turns out, too. ;)

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2023, 12:34:24 AM »
Ukraine mechanics might be using house paint just to get them out to the field quicker! I wouldn’t worry too much about colors. I’m sure they are using whatever shows up at the depot.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2023, 12:52:24 AM »
I'm not worried about the colours, I've got them sorted. I'm thinking more about the scheme, &, the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards a 4-colour scheme in a pattern similar to that of the Bradley's over-painted with irregular strips/bands of white.

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2023, 06:58:25 AM »
Ukraine mechanics might be using house paint just to get them out to the field quicker! I wouldn’t worry too much about colors. I’m sure they are using whatever shows up at the depot.

When I suggested this scenario for a 1945 Panzer whif I was yelled down from all fronts !!  ;D

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2023, 11:27:27 AM »
Waiting for "mud" to dry is something like watching grass grow. :-\

I've put two over-washes of a mix of two SMS oil washes (dark brown:brown, 1:3) onto the "mud" as it was a bit on the light side.

This has soaked into the "mud" mix & the colour is much better, now. :smiley:

Once this is dry, I'll gloss clear coat it, give it a light touch of white oil wash, then matt clear coat.

After that, I'll fit it together & put in the (link-&-length) tracks. The off-ground tracks will then be "muddied", so I can fit the armoured skirts.

This will, finally, get me to where I can do the paint scheme ... Before dirtying that up a bit.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2023, 07:32:00 PM »
Gloss coat done.

With luck I'll get to do the white wash tonight.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2023, 07:50:06 PM »

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2023, 09:17:59 PM »
Coming from the bloke who can take over a year to build a model ... ;D

Offline Ramba

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2023, 10:08:25 PM »
Coming from the bloke who can take over a year to build a model ... ;D

A year? You are being generous. It is more like two to three years, sometimes longer  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :o :o :o :o

I don't have the luxury of being able to paint indoors so I am weather dependent. The weather has actually been beautiful but the pollen has been horrible.