Author Topic: Rhodesian armour weirdos  (Read 677 times)

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
Rhodesian armour weirdos
« on: May 03, 2023, 08:46:22 AM »
I've been interested in Rhodesian vehicles for many years so was happy to get a copy of ...
"Fighting Vehicles and Weapons of Rhodesia" by Peter G Locke & Peter D Cooke.  ISSN-0-473-02413-6  Book lists the publishers address & phone no. in Wellington, NZ.  The authors may still be around in NZ too.

White Rhodesia was the most innovative & progressive in armoured vehicle design in the 20th Century.  Many ideas have been adopted by the West & East - foremost is the V-shaped lower hull of wheeled vehicles to deflect mine blasts.  Others include various guns such as the Spider, a horizontally rotating multi-barrel shotgun mounted on vehicles ranging from an Austin A-40 to Pookie etc and a shot-gun with rotating-chamber.

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
Re: Rhodesian armour weirdos
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2023, 08:54:33 AM »
The Crockodil2 (maybe not its name) was a prototype wheeled APC that was not proceeded with due to the end of the war (country).  It was designed to replace the many types of open-topped wheeled APCs on truck chassis such as the Buffel & Crokodil.

The Pookie mine detectors used a few types of home-made detector arms ranging from straight pipes to flat beams.

The Spinnekop was a better mine-detector / exploder that often had wheeled frames in front & behind.  Note the side outriggers in case the wheels were blown off.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 08:56:59 AM by raafif »

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2023, 08:55:39 AM »
Even the railways had their weird vehicles for patrolling.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2023, 11:31:21 AM »
Some interesting field-expedience builds there. :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2023, 12:59:01 PM »
Those police vehicles look like they have Volkswagen front and rear ends. Very interesting stuff.