Author Topic: 1/35 Apocalypse tank  (Read 5439 times)

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
Re: 1/35 Apocalypse tank
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2023, 11:53:48 PM »
Yeah, there is no such thing as one Russian green. It's like WWII olive drab.

I know that. You know that. I know you know that. That's for the looky-lou's coming by.

Meanwhile, back on the tank - what's going on those naked fenders?

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2023, 07:24:34 AM »
The fenders will be a collection of T-62 fuel tanks, kit tanks and some random gear. The two huge exhausts are gone, replaced by a large T-whaterver exhaust/oil burner.

Offline Story

« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2023, 09:37:10 AM »
Odd - this looks like it intends for the main gun to be a crane, which will ruin the boresighting.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2023, 11:20:22 AM »
I think they were drinking some vodka when they designed that tank (maybe delivered by the barrel as well). It says the barrel can be used as an air supply while under water as well as a crane to lower the ammo pack into the rear body. What do 84 152mm rounds weigh?  All in a tank the same size as a T-72. All the ammo in the engine compartment makes the rear body an attractive target...

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2023, 11:51:12 AM »
Here's the vehicle with decals, most of the weathering (it'll only have some light dust added) and the fender bits roughly in place. The fuel barrels are from the Tamiya T-62. Here's they're tacked in place where the kit's exhausts would have been. Barely visible on the other side are the spare flat fuel cells form the T-62. I need to work the larger ones a bit to get them to fit. The tarp and some boxes are resin bits from Value Gear:

The new exhaust is in the lower right, with a deflector flap/IR protector:

Front with "აპოკალიფსი" (Apocalypse) in Georgian. 23-05 is the year and hopefully the month I'll finish this.
G-L14 is somewhat obscure - the G Haplogroup (Y chromosome) is an ancient Neolithic haplogroup (Ötzi the iceman was a member). Although it's wide spread throughout Europe  in small percentages, Georgia has the highest percentage of men with the G haplogroup.

Still have to add all the final bits, especially to the turret.

Offline Story

« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2023, 09:54:00 PM »
It's twisted details like this that push your work over the top.

Front with "აპოკალიფსი" (Apocalypse) in Georgian. 23-05 is the year and hopefully the month I'll finish this.
G-L14 is somewhat obscure - the G Haplogroup (Y chromosome) is an ancient Neolithic haplogroup (Ötzi the iceman was a member). Although it's wide spread throughout Europe  in small percentages, Georgia has the highest percentage of men with the G haplogroup.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2023, 03:57:19 AM »
It's twisted details like this that push your work over the top.

Absolutely! Love these kinds of whif details  :smiley:  Love what you're doing with the Apocalypse tank too, Frank  :-*
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2023, 08:44:34 AM »
I think I'm done with the tank itself; I may add the dozer blade and side skirts, but that depends on how motivated I am.

top view, in sunlight:

I don't know what the inset ball in front of the commander's hatch is for. I'm calling it an anti-drone gun.

front view:

The 12.7mm coaxial "plinking" gun is the barrel of the spare gun that came with the kit.
side view:

With the ODS soldier:

Most of the optics are covered with Tamiya Anti-Reflection Coating film.

Comparison with the OOB build:

This is a fun kit, especially if you can find it on sale (like I did). Easy, no stress construction and the part fit is almost perfect without glue (about 75% of my build is just pressed together). It's a good subject for further whiffing.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2023, 10:46:36 AM »
As there are no smoke launchers on the vehicle you could easily call the ball-like structure a 2"/50mm smoke grenade launcher, similar to that used in Israeli armour.

Cracker of a build! Still has a definite Russian/Ukrainian vibe in the shape & camo scheme. :smiley: :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2023, 12:44:42 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2023, 02:27:16 AM »
That came out swell. Much as I like twin guns on tanks (even though they are pretty much a bad idea) this works quite well. I'm also glad you left those bizarre wire cutter/dozer blades off of the front end.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2023, 03:21:58 AM »
The dozer blades, even without the vertical axes, just don't cut it. I'm leaving them off.

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2023, 07:29:47 AM »
I think you made the right choice on the dozer blade. It would take a lot of reworking to get them to look plausible. Overall a fantastic build. Makes me want to build a tank!

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2023, 12:03:11 AM »
As much as I liked the twin main guns, the single gun and the changes you made to the turret looks great.