Author Topic: Monogram P-51B Mustang Oldie  (Read 2150 times)

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
Monogram P-51B Mustang Oldie
« on: April 04, 2023, 02:08:07 PM »
Here's my ancient 1/48th scale P-51B I started and yes even painted when I was stationed in Hawaii back in 1990 or so. I had to double check with the calculator but yeah, like 33 years ago. The decals were falling off because they had never been oversprayed. Since I had already replaced the stars and bars I went ahead and scraped off the letters on the side.

I had painted it with an airbrush back then including some shading on the tops of the wings and a slightly lighter shade of olive drab on top of the fuselage and parts of the wings to show fading from sunlight.

Some Super Scale decals to finish this off properly. You are correct, I'm not doing a whiff.

The decals I choose required a white strip on the wings, tail and horizontal stabilizers. So I started masking with Frog tape, which I have heard is nearly as good as Tamiya tape, and some green masking tape.

No, its not a whiff racing scheme. This is the second time I've tried this Frog tape and I've had the same problem of paint running under it. The whole point of Frog tape is not to have paint run under it! And that's with acrylics and enamels. I'm going to leave the Frog tape to painting rooms. Plus it doesn't stick very well. So this was the result

Just a little clean up to do. At least that long ago layer of glosscoat keeps me from scrapping off paint right away.

Here's another one that I was going to do in natural metal. The wings on the P-51 had that aluminum dope on them so it will have to be a little different than the fuselage.

I tried painting it with a silver paint pen but gave up on that. I hope that plays well with whatever I use for NMF. At least I still have all the parts to finish the assemply of it. I know I said I wanted to finish projects that have been laying around but this is stretching it. We'll see what happens next.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
Re: Monogram P-51B Mustang Oldie
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2023, 10:57:59 PM »
I fell for the same "almost as good as Tamiya tape" BS and got similar results.

The only tape as good (or better) than Tamiya is MT Washi masking tape because it is the same type of tape as Tamiya. It's on sale mow. I bought mine 6 years ago and have only gone through two rolls.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2023, 12:08:27 AM »
Thanks, I’ll try it.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2023, 06:47:58 AM »
Really like these old kit coming to light again.

You will be able to bring that back

Offline Kerick

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2023, 11:30:27 AM »
I don’t remember why I never finished it the first time around.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2023, 12:04:03 PM »
Rebirthing! ;D ;D
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Kerick

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2023, 01:09:07 PM »
Some clean up today. So much better. I also reattached the horizontal stabilizer and the main gear doors.

Some touch up paint and a proper shot of gloss coat then new decals!

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2023, 06:33:45 AM »
Very nice work so far. I like your "fading". 8) Did you have a lot of trouble removing the "very old' masking from your canopies?
I've actually a replacement kit of this for mine that was destroyed in the mid 80's. Not sure if I'll OOB it or use some aftermarket to lift it further. And no it won't be WHIFFed.

This brings back memories of trying out a new scale back in the mid 70's with this kit. Went on to do the Monogram Fortress (to be repaired one day), 109E, and two ESCI jets (also to be repaired one day).
The Mustang was fun to build, nicely detailed and looked "right" but I already had my doubts whether this scale was really worth pursuing.

BTW, my oldest build still going is from 1975, the Airfix Dennis Fire Engine  ;)

Never had problems with Frog Tape, know a lot here that use it and since I switched over It's always way better than Tamiya Tape, cheaper and I can make whatever width I need not worrying with dispensers and stuff. I also use blue painter's tape as well (Norton Washi) along with clear sellotape and AIZU Micron masking tape.

"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline Kerick

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2023, 11:33:45 AM »
The old Monogram kit is pretty good once you get past the raised panel lines. Its almost like the Matchbox ditch digger that did the recessed panel grooves had an evil twin that did the raised lines. I've built a couple Ds and these two B models. At least they didn't put rivets all over it!

I haven't tried removing the old tape. I still have to glosscoat and decal then flatcoat.

Some people rave about the Frog tape but it really didn't work for me. On flat areas its OK but a raised or lowered surface it just let the paint run under like crazy. Oh well, live and learn and try something else. I always use Scotch brand clear tape for canopies so I can see where to trim the tape.

Thanks for the nice words.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2023, 12:14:33 PM »
I sprayed a coat of clear gloss acrylic over the painted Mustang to prepare for decals. Still trying to imagine a NMF for the other one. The decal sheet I have has a set of markings for one so I might use that.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2023, 09:30:53 AM »
A little progress so far. Not sure how far to go with the maintenance stencils. I hate it how they give makings for three aircraft and insignia and stencils for only one. I think I'll scrounge from the decal book and save the ones I have for the other Mustang.

Model time is going to be short as my wife fell at work and broke her arm this morning. Next couple of weeks will be rough but if everything goes right she can avoid surgery. I'll be spending more time as doctor Ken but that's what it's all about. At least it will be covered by worker's comp.
Thinking about the A-10 Seahog that keeps staring up at me saying "Finish me!" I need to break out the gunship grey and get on with it.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2023, 11:33:17 AM »
Sorry to hear about Mrs K, hope she recovers quickly & well!

Thinking about the A-10 Seahog that keeps staring up at me saying "Finish me!" I need to break out the gunship grey and get on with it.

Yes! Yes, you do! ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Kerick

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2023, 12:16:02 PM »
I have applied a coat of matte acrylic and removed the 30 year old scotch tape from the canopy. It came off reasonably well considering how long it was on there. Lots of the adhesive stuck to the canopy but came off using the sticky side of another piece of tape. Pics in the morning.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2023, 10:10:55 AM »
Here's some better late than never pics.
Decals done before the flat was applied.

Scotch tape removed from 30+ years ago.

I was pretty sure I had made this cockpit the same way as the other Mustang. Glad to see I remembered right. I cannot remember where I got the metal seat belt buckles but they look pretty good.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2023, 05:42:29 PM »
This baby is looking good, mate! Very good! :smiley: :smiley:

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2023, 11:16:41 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2023, 03:55:30 AM »
Thanks for the kind comments. The paint job could have been better but I’m not going to fuss about it. We’ll see what happens with the other one.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2023, 09:53:18 AM »
Wrapped up the 33 year old Mustang today! Talk about finally getting around to finishing a build! Not too shabby. I might experiment airbrushing on some exhaust stains and gun residue. There will be a NMF stablemate that I started about the same time. Thank heavens for the Super/Micro Scale decals I bought several years ago.

[/url]

[/url]

I lost the wing landing light part so I'll have to think of a replacement
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 09:59:40 AM by Kerick »

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2023, 10:02:06 AM »
It came out great, especially after being mothballed for so long.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2023, 10:34:12 AM »
Almost like a barn find!

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2023, 03:26:00 PM »
Fantastic finish! :smiley: :smiley:

Gives me hope for some of the stalled builds I have floating around the place. ;)

Offline Kerick

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2023, 11:00:36 PM »
Even the wood base is something I made many moons ago. I found it in the basement and cleaned it up.

Offline John Howling Mouse

• The King Of Absurdia
  • Have vacformer, will travel.
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2023, 11:04:48 AM »
Yep: miracle-worker.
Saving the globe from plastic pollution one kitbashed model at a time.

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2023, 04:02:21 AM »
That really looks the business!

Congrats on a remarkable resurrection  :smiley: :smiley:

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline killnoizer

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
    • SPACEJUNKS com
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2023, 02:26:18 PM »
Very fine design, that looks really good !