Author Topic: File under...  (Read 1096 times)

Offline The Rat

• 70 years old, doesn't feel a day over 90.
  • Maybe I should take up the bagpipes.
File under...
« on: September 23, 2022, 04:18:50 AM »
...Why didn't I think of this before? 

Nose weight can be a pain to hold in, as we all know. I tried putty once; melted a significant amount of fuselage which took more putty to correct. White glue takes time to dry properly, and sometimes comes loose, and usually after the fuselage is closed up. So in doing this F9F Panther, it finally dawned on me: don't glue the weight. The nose cone holds just the right amount, as determined by a taped-together model with fingers at the main gear placement. After squashing some split-shot fishing weights, they were dropped into place and secured with a couple of pieces of sprue, bonded with liquid cement. Other aircraft configurations may make this difficult, but I'll certainly be doing this whenever possible.

F9F weight by Dave Bailey, on Flickr
"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
Re: File under...
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2022, 08:00:40 AM »
sealing the weight behind a plastic "bulkhead" is a good idea. If the area is inconveniently placed or oddly shaped, I use modeling clay, like the stuff used when making molds. I found some lead shot that works great. I also have larger steel bearings that work just as well.

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2022, 08:27:06 AM »
I’ve done that before, it worked well.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2022, 06:12:17 PM »
I bought a bottle of these from a local everything store (Princess Auto).

Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...