Modelling > Tips, Tools & Techniques

The More You Know... Tamiya Airbrush cleaner and Tamiya Extra Thin Cement

(1/2) > >>

Jeffry Fontaine:
Not having used my airbrush for a very long time so this comes as a pleasant surprise for me. 
Here is the link: YouTube > MOS6510 Models > Tamiya Airbrush cleaner / Extra Thin Cement - The Truth

The Tamiya Extra Thin Cement has been expensive so this appears to be a means to save some money on your modeling supplies. 

***edit for grammar error---jjf

Frank3k:
Thanks for posting that video! I tested it with a small styrene rod... and promptly dropped it into the container. I had to fish it out with tweezers. The airbrush cleaner definitely works as a glue!

Actone by itself works as a glue and it's pretty cheap, too. Both work fine with ABS and styrene and are far safer than MEK based glues (like the quick setting extra thin)

Jeffry Fontaine:

--- Quote from: Frank3k on August 23, 2022, 06:42:52 AM ---Thanks for posting that video! I tested it with a small styrene rod... and promptly dropped it into the container. I had to fish it out with tweezers. The airbrush cleaner definitely works as a glue!

Actone by itself works as a glue and it's pretty cheap, too. Both work fine with ABS and styrene and are far safer than MEK based glues (like the quick setting extra thin)

--- End quote ---

The savings made on purchasing the airbrush cleaner fluid instead of the cement makes this very attractive.  Refilling the empty cement container with the airbrush cleaner = winning, plus one less glass container to send to the trash.  Adding the airbrush cleaner to other liquid cements may also be a way to extend the usefulness of near-empty liquid cement containers. 

Frank3k:
I used the Tamiya airbrush thinner as intended just once... and could tell it had acetone in it, but didn't think much of it.

Since I use acrylics 99% of the time (and Testor's metalizers for the rest) I can clean my airbrush with a wide variety of cleaners: alcohol (denatured or isopropyl), Vallejo airbrush cleaner or the Iwata-Medea Airbrush Cleaner. All work great. For the occasional tough residue, I'll spray less than half an airbrush cup full of acetone.

Frank3k:
I ran out of Tamiya Extra Thin at the beginning of my current project and rather than open a new bottle, I refilled the bottle with Tamiya Airbrush cleaner. It works as well as the Tamiya Extra thin. You wouldn't notice the difference.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version