Author Topic: M3 Lee/Grant and M4 Sherman Family of Vehicles  (Read 98027 times)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: M3 Lee/Grant and M4 Sherman Family of Vehicles
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2013, 04:33:31 AM »
That's a very attractive design/creation. :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2013, 05:04:19 AM »
Yep, a very interesting combining of parts to come up with something that looks purposeful. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2013, 04:54:53 AM »
An interesting what-if/April Fool's model of the Tracked Vehicle Land Speed Record Holder based on a Sherman tank.  The Sher-Moon built by Mark Neville

Click on image or html to view additional images at Missing-Lynx forums. 

(Image source: Mark Neville/Missing-Lynx Forums)

"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2013, 08:13:08 AM »
M4A2/SU-100 bash in-progress on Missing-Lynx. LINK Cool background story, too.   :)

Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2013, 06:09:10 AM »
Outstanding!  Invited?

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2013, 10:58:58 AM »
An interesting what-if/April Fool's model of the Tracked Vehicle Land Speed Record Holder based on a Sherman tank.  The Sher-Moon built by Mark Neville

Click on image or html to view additional images at Missing-Lynx forums. 

(Image source: Mark Neville/Missing-Lynx Forums)

*chuckle* I can just see one of those, equipped with road tracks, tearing up the major streets around Moon's facility in Santa Fe Springs, CA.  That stretch of Norwalk Blvd. would never be the same.

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2013, 07:44:43 AM »
According to the bottom of this link's entry, Yugoslavia tried arming the M4 Sherman with a modified 122mm field gun.
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2013, 10:51:06 AM »
Is that a 76mm muzzle brake?

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Feldmarschall Zod

• Kitbasher extroinadaire
  • Holding Pattern
  • I hope that's not the sound he makes...
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2013, 06:22:28 AM »
Is that a 76mm muzzle brake?

Cheers,

Logan

It sure looks like it. That looks to be a post war mod,where they mounted a 76 mm in a standard 75 mm turret.
Every time you eat celery,an angel vomits in a gas station bathroom. Tanks rule. I know the load is late,but the voices tell me to pull over and clean the guns.

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2013, 12:26:53 AM »
No, those have far longer barrels and rarely had muzzle brakes.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2013, 11:50:51 AM »
It looks like the wrong shaped muzzle brake, anyway.  Looks circular instead of ovoid, to me.  I suspect someone found a Sherman without a gun and welded a spare tube they found somewhere with a muzzle brake on it, onto the mantlet.

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2013, 02:18:51 PM »
Oh, I agree completely, rickshaw.  That was my thought, as well.  Maybe an M1A2 76mm cut down?  The 37mm on the Stuart appears fake, too.  Regardless, it gives the Sherman an unusual profile.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2013, 10:22:37 AM »
Some images of a very nice looking What if - 100mm Sherman SP built by Paul Roberts and uploaded to Missing-Lynx. 

Click on thumbnail or html to view.

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2013, 10:49:26 AM »
Oh wow!  Very believable indeed!  He needs an invite if he hasn't been sent one already  8)
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2013, 06:01:35 AM »
Oh wow!  Very believable indeed!  He needs an invite if he hasn't been sent one already  8)
Yes, official invite sent now waiting to see if he will join us :)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2014, 03:04:30 AM »
What the…

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2014, 03:31:06 AM »
What the…

A mine roller I do believe.
Every time you eat celery,an angel vomits in a gas station bathroom. Tanks rule. I know the load is late,but the voices tell me to pull over and clean the guns.

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2014, 03:33:30 AM »
The more I read about the M4A6,the more I like it. It had a Caterpillar designed multi fuel engine. It was mounted onto a composite M4A4 hull,which was simply a longer hull version of the M4 composite. When I get home,I am going to see how well a Comet turret fits onto a Sherman hull.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2014, 09:22:41 PM »
And here was me thinking the minenraumer was weird! :-\
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2014, 02:33:10 AM »
Another:

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2014, 02:55:48 AM »
Details of the last two can be found here

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2014, 09:48:02 AM »
Is that some kind of M4 Crab alternative? ???

Or is it a clear-lane marking vehicle?

Given its look, I'd be calling it the "Mantis". ;)

(Oops! Missed the last post before I wrote this one.)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 09:53:23 AM by Old Wombat »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline arkon

• Paper Building Maestro
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2014, 10:27:35 AM »
the paper gods demand sacrifice

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2014, 02:40:57 PM »
I recently posted some quick & dirty tank concepts on my profiles thread, but in case anyone didn't see them there, I thought I'd post the relevant profiles here, as well. The following images are only mockup concepts, not finished profiles. I made them for my own reference and hadn't intended to post them anywhere, but I know there's a number of tank buffs on the forum and I thought they might be interested in the concepts.

There isn't a real backstory to these. I have a few Excel files that I update pretty regularly where I have outlined my "ideal" Table of Organization & Equipment (TOE) if I had my pick of WWII equipment. It's just a little exercise that I use to help me evaluate the relative merits and disadvantages of equipment in WWII. It also helps to understand the problem of things such as "why did Germany use so many different types of trucks?"

Anyway, to permit the interoperation of different types of equipment, I do allow myself a limited amount of equipment swapping for comparable armament, engines, radios, etc. So, here are some examples of the designs I've gone with.

This is the final variant of the Sherman, which would be my standard medium tank of the war.

The initial 1942 M4A1 would be almost unchanged from the historical vehicles. I haven't given it a ton of thought, but I'd likely replace the M3 75mm gun with the 7.5cm KwK 40 from the PzKpfw IV, extend the turret bustle a little bit à la Firefly to better accommodate the longer 75mm gun and the radio, and that's about it. The standard turret is fine, the VVSS suspension is fine, and the R975 engine is fine, at least for mid-WWII.

Very soon thereafter, however, I'd switch to the M4A2 with the GM 6046 engine and the M4A3 with the Ford GAA engine. The lower silhouette of these engines would allow the switch to the lower hull height of the M10 tank destroyer. For this, imagine an M10 hull, but with the hull machine gun and thicker frontal armor of the Sherman retained. I won't bother showing a preview of this, because the forum's very own wandering engineer mocked up a very similar concept himself here.

By 1944, however, there are even better options available. For the armored divisions, at least, I'd adopt the torsion bar suspension of the M4A2E4. As soon as possible, I'd also switch the gun out for the British QF 17-pdr, supported in smaller numbers by howitzer armed tanks for HE firepower. I'd adapt this to the "T23 turret", eventually upgrading that to the "Jumbo" turret, again extending the turret rear to account for the 17-pdr's greater recoil. Finally, I'd increase the frontal hull armor to 102mm by 1944, also like the Jumbo. Unlike the Jumbo, however, side armor would remain the same as the standard tank in an effort to keep the overall weight down. In case anyone is wondering about all these modifications, they were all incorporated on Sherman variants at one point or another. For example, for the last year of the war, Patton had his Third Army Shermans fitted with the glacis armor plates from knocked out tanks, effectively doubling their frontal armor.

I mentioned earlier that the Fireflies would be supported by howitzer-armed tanks to make up for the Firefly's lack of HE firepower. Due to my choice of standard army howitzer, this gun would be the Soviet U-11 122mm howitzer. It is scaled to fit and seems to work pretty well. This would also be the standard armament for Sherman engineering tank variants.

Anyway, I thought some of the forum's tank buffs would like to see some of these concepts since the modifications really affect the appearance of the vehicles, especially the Sherman. It also emphasizes how much like a Lego kit the Sherman was given all the different pieces they tried on it.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2014, 11:36:46 AM »
Here's something Panzerserra was playing with that I thought some folks here might like.

Cheers,

Logan
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 12:04:05 PM by Logan Hartke »