Author Topic: Apophenia's Offerings  (Read 905735 times)

Online simmie

• In need of an Avatar...or one will be chosen for h
Re: Apophenia's Offerings
« Reply #1900 on: November 03, 2018, 07:10:47 AM »
If you were to follow the usual routine, when Bomber Command were finished with a type then is was passe on to Coastal Command and/or Transport Command.  Just a suggestion.
Growing old is mandatory

Growing up is optional

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #1901 on: November 04, 2018, 12:15:22 AM »

The H.P.56 for those wondering about the 55's little brother.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 12:57:24 PM by jcf »
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1902 on: November 04, 2018, 03:19:38 AM »
H.P.55

conspiracy.”

Online apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #1903 on: November 06, 2018, 04:52:35 AM »
If you were to follow the usual routine, when Bomber Command were finished with a type then is was passe on to Coastal Command and/or Transport Command.  Just a suggestion.

Wait for it ...  ;D

H.P.55

Thanks Jon ... by far, the best 3-view drawing of the H.P.55 I've seen  :smiley:

This is a separate concept for Handley Page's submission to Air Ministry Specification P13/36. In this alternative, Handley Page chose instead to further develop the H.P.54 Harrow airframe as the basis for its backup submission to AM Spec P13/36 ...

The H.P.54 Harrow airframe was very heavily revised. The wings were extended to 100 feet of span. The outer panels remained structurally the same as for the Harrow but with increased dihedral. A new, dihedral-less centre section provided the added span. At the extremities of this centre section were new nacelles for a retractable undercarriage and powerful new engines.

The Harrow Mk.II's twin 925 hp Bristol Pegasus XX single-row engines were replaced by twin-row Bristol Hercules I-SM radials. Despite the heavier engines and its retractable undercarriage, this design would have a lower all-up weight. As such, Handley Page designers argued, the officially-requested Rolls-Royce Vulture X-24 engines were no longer required to meet demanded performance perimeters. The HP design office at Radlett also draughted a longer-span variant powered by four Pegasus radials but this option did not find favour with the Air Ministry.

The Harrow-based H.P.55 was accepted at the Hanley (HP's recommended name of Hendon having been declined. In November 1938, the Hanley Mk.I entered service with No.214 Squadron, RAF. These aircraft were powered by Bristol Hercules II-SM engines. The new night bomber retained some components from the Harrow Mk.II but, in truth, commonality was minimal. Still, the Air Ministry regarded the H.P.55 Hanley Mk.I as a low-risk design. There was room for improvement, however, with defensive armaments seen as especially weak.

(Top) September 1939. A Hanley Mk.I (P1800) of No.214 Squadron, RAF, in the process of receiving wartime markings. Retaining its original individual aircraft code letter, the squadron number has been overpainted. 'J' has yet to received its new squadron code letters and tail flashes (although the rudder serial numbers have been painted out).

Shortly after the outbreak of WWII, the Hanley Mk.I fleet were retro-fitted with ventral gun cupolas for belly defence. Otherwise, these aircraft were armed with the same manually-operated turrets as the HP.54 Harrow transport-bombers. However, plans were underway to introduce hydraulically-powered gun turrets on the Hanley production line. These took the form of a Fraser-Nash FN-20 four-gun tail turret and a FN-50 two-gun centre gun turret. For the Hanley Mk.II, the belly cupola was retained but the manual nose gun position was revised - primarily to give the bombardier more working space.

The Hanley Mk.III was to have been a Rolls-Royce Vulture-powered derivative insisted upon by the Air Ministry. Ultimately, this model was over-ruled by the Ministry of Aircraft Production (which allowed Vulture production to go to the Avro Manchester programme. The next production model was the Hanley Mk.IV which was powered by 1,400 hp Bristol Hercules III engines. Although intended as a night bomber, added operational equipment resulted in the Hanley Mk.IV being underpowered and something of a disappointment to Bomber Command. The decision was made to focus on Vickers Wellington mediums and Manchester heavy bombers. No.214 Squadron switched to Wellingtons and its Hanley B.Mk.IVs joined the earlier-model Hanleys which had alrady been passed along to Coastal Command.

(Below) A Hanley GR.IVA (JP328) assigned to 58 Sqn, Coastal Command. This aircraft has Coastal Command codes but, otherwise, still retains its original Bomber Command camouflage. (Inset) The dorsal FN-50 show with its fairing in the raised position.
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Online apophenia

« Reply #1904 on: November 06, 2018, 04:54:52 AM »
The next Handley Page installment is Real World ... sort of. An illustration of a twin-engined medium bomber (inset) was featured in the 14 May 1936 edition of Flight magazine. According to the caption, the image had originally appeared in a corporate journal, The Handley Page Bulletin. [1]

The design depicted is probably just the imaginings of a marketing department artist. However, this artist's concept does have a decidedly Handley Page feel about it - especially in the wings. And its stylish nose cap anticipates changed coming for the H.P. 51 Hampden prototype. Indeed, although few specific features overlap, the concept does evoke the production Hampden in a very general way.

That said, other features - like the single tail fin and rudder - aren't really Handley Page-like at all. Still, I find this artist's concept oddly appealling. So, here is that notional 1936 medium bomber as a wartime aircraft I suspect that this aircraft might have been a bit underpowered, so I've depicted it in a night bomber finish (in the markings of No.83 Squadron, RAF).

I've added a few operational details - exhaust muffs, antennae, etc. - as well as fixing the retractable tailwheel in the 'down' position (which seemed to happen with most RAF types of the day).

[1] Flight noted the design being "somewhat similar to the H.P.53 type" - the planned Swedish version of the RAF's H.P. 51 Hampden. Flight also noted what seemed to be "liquid-cooled Rolls-Royce engines."
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Online The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #1905 on: November 06, 2018, 05:48:24 AM »
I like it. Would like right at home beside a B-18 Bolo.
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #1906 on: November 06, 2018, 07:06:52 AM »
I like it. Would like right at home beside a B-18 Bolo.

Absolutely spot-on sir!

You have laser-like insights Mr Gimper.

Brian da Basher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #1907 on: November 07, 2018, 01:17:52 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Online apophenia

« Reply #1908 on: November 07, 2018, 04:31:26 AM »
Thanks folks! Regularly-scheduled Handley Page broadcasts will resume shortly. I've been briefly distracted by the Reggiane Re.2004  - originally being an Re.2005 derivative powered by an engine designed by the Officine Meccaniche Italiane "Reggiane".

An Re.2004 prototype did eventually fly - as an Re.2005 airframe fitted with an Isotta-Fraschini Zeta air-cooled X-24 engine. See Retired In Kalifornia's Re.2004 build: http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=8198.0

My take shows the initial Reggiane Re.2004 concept powered by OMI Reggiane's own engine - the Reggiane Re.103 RC50 I. OMI Reggiane referred to this powerplant as an 18 Cilindra M - ie: an 18-cylinder engine with an 'M' layout (or, as usually described in English, an inverted 'W' layout).

(Top) The prototype Reggiane Re.2004 nearly completion. Here, the Reggiane Re.103 engine has been installed in a converted Re.2005 Sagittario airframe (M.M.526).

The Reggiane Re.103 RC.50 I was approximately the same size as the Re.2005's Tifone engine - a license-built German DB 605A. The OMI Reggiane engine was almost 6-inches wider due to its third cylinder row. It was also slightly longer than the Tifone. But, perhaps most importantly, the Italian 'M-18' weighed more than 200 pounds more than its German IV-12 equivalent.

(Bottom) A production Reggiane Re.2004bis fighter in RSI markings.

Compared with the prototype Re.2004 conversion, the Re.2004bis airframe has a lengthened fuselage - needed to restore the fighter's centre of gravity. [1] The 'stretch' occuring at the c/g enlarged the fuselage weapons bay, allowing twin Mauser MG151/20 cannons to mounted in place of the Re.2005's pair of synchronized 12.7 mm Breda machine guns. So, total fixed armament for the Re.2004bis was four 20mm Mausers - the two synchronized guns and another pair of wing-mounted cannons firing outside the propeller arc.

BTW: My Reggiane Re.2004s are based on two Re.2005 sideviews by Angelo Brioschi. [2]

[1] This fuselage 'stretch' was less extreme than that for the Reggiane Re.2006 - powered by a Daimler-Benz DB 603A. That larger German engine weighed a further 160 pounds over the Italian Re.103 powerplant.

[2] Brioschi shows the prototype Re.2005 in overall silver (other than its pre-finished fabric surfaces). I've left it that way but, more probably, that prototype was finished in Italian primer - that slightly bileous yellow depicted to perfection by Retired In Kalifornia.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #1909 on: November 07, 2018, 05:13:30 AM »
 :smiley:

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #1910 on: November 07, 2018, 12:17:33 PM »
That's beautiful and so very, very tempting to attempt.

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1911 on: November 07, 2018, 12:56:07 PM »
H.P. 53, the Swedish Bomber:

Proposal to Spec. M.15/35, basically H.P. 52 wings and tail grafted onto a new wider fuselage:
conspiracy.”

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1912 on: November 07, 2018, 01:09:03 PM »
Some numbers for those interested.

H.P. 55 (two Hercules 1SM or two Merlin XX)
Span: 95'
Length: 65' 3"

H.P. 56 (two Vulture X)
Span: 88'
Length: 66' 6"

Note that the H.P. 55 has almost exactly the same span and similar wing planform as
the DC-3, it's in effect a Harrow based fuselage with a very Douglas like wing.

conspiracy.”

Online apophenia

« Reply #1913 on: November 09, 2018, 05:22:59 AM »
Ooo ... great stuff Jon! I'm sensing some more deviations coming in my intended Handley Page path  ;D

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1914 on: November 10, 2018, 12:19:41 PM »
The next Handley Page installment is Real World ... sort of. An illustration of a twin-engined medium bomber (inset) was featured in the 14 May 1936 edition of Flight magazine. According to the caption, the image had originally appeared in a corporate journal, The Handley Page Bulletin. [1]

The design depicted is probably just the imaginings of a marketing department artist. However, this artist's concept does have a decidedly Handley Page feel about it - especially in the wings. And its stylish nose cap anticipates changed coming for the H.P. 51 Hampden prototype. Indeed, although few specific features overlap, the concept does evoke the production Hampden in a very general way.

That said, other features - like the single tail fin and rudder - aren't really Handley Page-like at all. Still, I find this artist's concept oddly appealling. So, here is that notional 1936 medium bomber as a wartime aircraft I suspect that this aircraft might have been a bit underpowered, so I've depicted it in a night bomber finish (in the markings of No.83 Squadron, RAF).

I've added a few operational details - exhaust muffs, antennae, etc. - as well as fixing the retractable tailwheel in the 'down' position (which seemed to happen with most RAF types of the day).

[1] Flight noted the design being "somewhat similar to the H.P.53 type" - the planned Swedish version of the RAF's H.P. 51 Hampden. Flight also noted what seemed to be "liquid-cooled Rolls-Royce engines."

The tail is similar to that of the H.P. 47:

http://www.airwar.ru/enc/other1/hp47.html

conspiracy.”

Online apophenia

« Reply #1915 on: November 15, 2018, 07:41:12 AM »
The tail is similar to that of the H.P. 47 ...

Excellent Jon ... that answers where that vertical tail came from  :smiley:

Any idea if any illustration exists of the unarmed bomber that Volkert sketched out as a comparison for P.13/36?

Attached are two images for Swedish H.P.53s. Alas, I forgot to bring their backstories to the computer lab. So, mañana ...

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #1916 on: November 15, 2018, 08:49:39 AM »
 :smiley: :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #1917 on: November 15, 2018, 08:58:15 AM »
I really like how you added so much Swedish character to these birds. Goes above and beyond simply a marking change.

Most excellent, apophenia!

Brian da Basher

Online ericr

• He's like some sort of Dr Frankenstein of modelling...
  • Has something for red, yellow or blue...
« Reply #1918 on: November 15, 2018, 08:59:23 PM »

nive floatplanization !

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #1919 on: November 16, 2018, 03:51:32 AM »
Nice work.

Some further inspiration may be found here

Online apophenia

« Reply #1920 on: November 16, 2018, 07:36:05 AM »
Thanks folks  :D  Greg: I forgotten that you'd already done a Hampden with a "big honking gun"! However, your "some sort of fighter' transmogrification was definitely an inspiration
------------------------

As promised for the Swedish Hampdens ( http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=351.msg146971#msg146971 ), Part 1 ...

Handley Page H.P.53A - the 'Swedish Hampden'

In 1937, Sweden expressed interest in the Handley Page H.P.53 - a coastal patrol bomber variant of the H.P.52 Hampden which could be configured as a landplane or as twin-float seaplane. Power was to be twin 1,010 hp Bristol Pegasus XXIV radials. It was envisioned that 70 H.P.53 would be built in Sweden for use by the Flygvapnet. The airframes would be assembled by CVM - the government-owned air force workshops - with assistance from the
privately-owned Götaverken Flygavdelning. Engines for the H.P.53 were to be built under licence by Nohab Flygmotorfabriker AB at Trollhättan.

Initially, the H.P.53 was to be armed with the standard Swedish air-dropped torpedo - the Norwegian-designed Torped m/38 - carried semi-externally. This was a 45 cm torpedo weighing 737 kg and almost 5 metres in length. However, this requirement was eclipsed by a smaller, Bofors-designed 40 cm aerial torpedo which could be carried within the H.P.53's enclosed bomb bay. [1] This ability also prompted the Flygvapnet technical team to recommend that the float struts could be reduced in height to lower drag. [2]

Handley Page completed the prototype H.P.53 as a landplane in late 1938. This aircraft was delivered to Flygflottilj 2 (F 2) at Hägernäs in early January 1939. The H.P.53 was then tranferred to nearby Torslanda for conversion to floats. The completed floatplane - now designated P 5 but still wearing Swedish civil registration SE-APD - was ready for flight trials in April 1939. This aircraft was powered by 1,010 hp Pegasus XXII engines but was otherwise to full production standards. The prototype H.P.53/P 5 was written off in a landing accident at Torslanda in late May 1939 - a portent of things to come for the 'Swedish Hampden'.

(Top) Handley Page-built prototype H.P.53 or P 5 (Provflygplan), Torslanda, May 1939

Under pressure to supply Hampdens to the RAF, Handley Page found itself unable to provide CVM with sufficient compenents or even drawings to get Swedish H.P.53 production underway. In early 1939, a potential solution presented itself. Handley Page's production line at Radlett was winding down as the RAF lost interest in the Hereford bomber - the Dagger-powered Hampden derivative. [3] Some Herefords were re-engined as Hampdens for the RAF but the final 40 production examples were offered to Sweden in semi-completed component-knock-down form as an alternative to building the H.P.53s. This was accepted by the Flygvapnet and the first airframe sets arrived aboard Swedish-flagged vessels in the summer of 1940.

CVM created alternative nacelles to convert the Hereford airframes to Hampden standard. Engine supply was more difficult. Nohab was meant to have re-started its Pegasus production line but had been overwhelmed by the process of reverse-engineering Pratt & Whitney's Twin Wasp. [4] Britain was unable to supply engines but a solution came from an unlikely source. The Swedish Air Attache in Rome reported that Italy was both able and willing to supply Pegasus engines to the Flygvapnet. As a result, Swedish-assembled Hampdens would be powered by Alfa Romeo 128 R.C.21 radials. These were lower-powered engines - producing only 950 hk at 2,100 m - but at least they were available.

(Bottom) British airframes, Swedish Components, Italian Engines - the CVM H.P.53A (Flygvapnet T 5)

Bombflygplan and Torpedfällningsflygplan - the CVM H.P.53A into Service

The resulting CVM H.P.53A entered service with F 2 in November 1940. A handful of the type served as landplanes from Hägernäs - where it was designated by the Flygvapnet as the B 11 reconnaissance bomber. However, the majority of H.P.53As were on floats at Torslanda as the Flygvapnet's T 5 (for Torpedflygplan). A detachment of T 5s also served alongside T 2s (Heinkel He 115s) from a slip at Fårösund.

Meanwhile, further ship-sets of ex-Hereford components were arriving at Göteborg for assembly by the Götaverken Flygavdelning. However, not all was as it appeared ...

[To be continued ...]

[1] Bofors based its design upon the French Type 1926 DA aerial torpedo. The Bofors Torped m/40 retained the French torpedo's 40 cm (15.75-inch) diameter but shortened its length from 5.14 m to just over 4 metres. As a result, the Torped m/40 weighed only 540 kg (compared to 670 kg for the Type 1926 DA and 850 kg for the m/38). The reduced warhead size and range (due to smaller compressed air reservoirs) was judged acceptable for operations in the Baltic Sea.

[2] A downside which would later be revealed was for the H.P.53A tailplane being routinely immersed upon landing.

[3] It also helped that the first English Electric-built Hampdens were then coming off the line at Preston.

[4] Nohab had earlier produced the lower-powered Pegasus VIIA for the S 7A biplane. The Swedish Twin Wasp copy would emerge as the SFA STWC-3G.

Online apophenia

« Reply #1921 on: November 16, 2018, 07:39:10 AM »
... and Part 2

The Skinny 'Swedish Hampden' - Götaverken's GA-40

The first batch of Swedish H.P.53s were assembled by CVM - the Central Workshop - with the assistance of the Götaverken Flygavdelning. For the second batch, Götaverken became prime contractor with CVM assisting. Operational experience also dictated some changes for the H.P.53B series - as the second batch became known. The first was abandoning the requirement for interchangeable land and float undercarriages. All future 'Swedish Hampden's would be land-based. Also abandoned were any hopes of Swedish-made powerplants.

As the ex-Hereford components arrived at Göteborg from Britain, it soon became apparent that few of these ship-sets were in any way complete. Other than lacking nacelles, most wings had been shipped finished. Likewise, rear fuselage booms and tailplanes were completed. Fuselage centre sections were another matter - most being little more than a collection of unassembled pieces. Nose cone and bomb bay components were conspicuously absent (presumably having been held back to aid in English Electric's Hampton production for the RAF).

An emergency meeting of Flygvapnet technical staff reviewed the component shortfalls and began draughting a plan for completion. Some solutions were straightforward - the absence of cowling components was addressed by housing the Alfa Romeo 128 R.C.21 radials in Italian-made cowlings. [1] The missing nose 'caps' and bomb bays were another matter. After reviewing various domestically-produced nose section possibilities, the Flygvapnet opted for a much more radical option advocated by CVM engineers. Rather than replicating the missing nose and bomb-bay, CVM proposed eliminating them altogether. A 'solid' nose cap would contain the fixed armament - of two 8 mm ksp m/22 and two 13.2 mm acan m/39 machine guns - while exposed mounts beneath the wing centre section would carry the torpedo load. [2]

A new workload division was arranged. CVM would produce its own nose cap design and fuselage centre sections from modified Hereford parts. Final assembly would be performed by Götaverken - where the type was assigned the factory designation GA-40. With such dramatic changes, the type also received a new Flygvapnet designation - T 15C. [3] The T 15C was well-received by its Flygvapnet crews - its general performance being superior to the landplane T 5. Once payloads were dropped, the 'clean' T 15C wa quite a bit faster than the H.P.53A.

(Top) A T 15C (GA-40) acting as an armaments trainer (see here fitting with four nose-mounted 13.2 mm acan m/39 machine guns and underwing bomb racks). Inset: 'Flying Tadpole' - the unofficial badge of the H.P.53 development unit based at Göteborg.

With its anemic Alfa Romeo engines, the GA-40/T 15C was always intended as an interim type. The engine of choice was the SFA STWC-3G (a Swedish copy of the US Pratt & Whitney Twin Wasp) and this was to power the planned 'full production' type - the GA-40A/T 15D. Although one GA-40/T 15C airframe was set aside for re-engining with STWC-3Gs, this never happened. Instead, priority for the STA radials was given to Saab B 18 bombers and FFVS J 22 fighters. It had been planned to power a second batch of imported Reggiane J 20 fighters with STWC-3Gs as well. However, when Italy decided to hold back those fighters, it was decided to re-engine most existing Flygvapnet Reggianes with SFA radials. That freed up the J 20s' Piaggio P.XI radials to power the next batch of Handley Page torpedo bombers - the GA-40B/T 15E.

As produced, the T 15Es featured not only engined taken from the Reggianne fighters but their cowlings and propellers as well. Otherwise, the GA-40B/T 15E was essentially the same as the GA-40/T 15C. A minor change was the new rear gunner's position making up for missing components. This position was initially meant to be armed with the new Bofors 20 mm autocannon but ended up with a flexibly-mounted 13.2 mm acan m/39. But an even bigger change in armament was coming ... partly dictated by the difficulties inherent in dropping torpedoes in the shallow waters of the Baltic, partly by changing operational challenges.

For the most part, Sweden's territorial waters were not being infringed upon by large warships. Instead, it tended to be German U-boats and E-boats which were challenging Swedish sovereignty - intentionally or otherwise. To provide a viable deterrent to such craft - or effectively engage infringing foreign light vessels - a heavy gun armament would be more useful than a torpedo payload. Flygvapnet technical staff investigated several options, quickly eliminating flexibly-mounted weapons. A practical choice seemed to be a fixed belly pod mounting a 25 mm Bofors  semi-automatic gun - a high-velocity naval anti-aircraft gun.

Doubts were cast upon whether the 25 mm gun's HE load was sufficient to the task at hand. Flygvapnet intelligence were well aware of German experiments with belly-mounting large-calibre guns on aircraft. Perhaps inspired by the German Henschel Hs 129B-2/Wa and its BK 3.7 gun, it was decided to 'scale up' to Bofors' 40 mm L/60 anti-aircraft gun. A mount was designed with required minimal changes to the gun itself. This mount was test-flown - without its aerodynamic fairing - on a modified T 15C in early 1944. With the concept proven, ten T 15E airframes were converted to gun-carrying 'T 15E/k' standard - soon to be redesignated as the A 15E. The remaining T 15Es also saw a change of roles - spending most of the rest of their war dropping sea mines instead of torpedos.

(Bottom) A 15E (GA-40C) anti-shipping aircraft fitted with Bofors 40 mm acan m/42 belly gun pod with twin 8 mm ksp m/22 FN-Browning aiming guns in the nose. Note revised dorsal position on late-model Götaverken's GA-40 aircraft.

[1] The cowlings, engine mounts, and exhaust systems adopted were virtually identical to those of wing-mounted AR 128s on Regia Aeronautica Savoia-Marchetti SM.79 bombers.

[2] This also provided more flexibility in torpedo load. While the H.P.53A carried one enclosed Torped m/40, the 'open' arrangement allowed the larger Torped m/38 to be carried on a central mount or two m/40s on twin side-by-side mounts.

[3] After 1940, the Flygvapnet designation system was revised. Many types received new designations but the H.P.53A did not. However, it did receive a new sub-type designator - the T 5 becoming the T 5A. The second series was to have become the T 5B. Instead, after its redesign, it received the new type number T 15C while continuing the sub-type letter sequence of the T 5s.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #1922 on: November 17, 2018, 01:21:48 AM »
Errr...are we missing some images?

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1923 on: November 17, 2018, 02:57:56 AM »
conspiracy.”

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #1924 on: November 17, 2018, 03:06:43 AM »
Doh!!  Ignore me...