Author Topic: Boeing F-26D  (Read 3724 times)

Offline Alvis 3.1

• Self acknowledged "Bad Influence"…but probably less attractive than Pink
  • The high priest of whiffing
Boeing F-26D
« on: January 09, 2017, 09:33:52 AM »
 Bureaucracy is an amazing thing. It can be slow, stupid, unresponsive and cause a whole host of problems, but sometimes it can actually all work out for the best.
Take the Boeing F-26D. This highly effective aircraft would never have even existed if it wasn't for the incredibly dense ways that bureaucracy operates.
It all began back in 1942. As the Philippines was being overrun by the forces of Imperial Japan, American forces were thrown into disarray, paperwork became very unimportant, and the proper disposal of assets never was properly dealt with. Take P-26 serial number 33-106. It had belonged to the 3rd Pursuit Squadron, 4th Composite group, and had actually been dropped from records back in 1939, but was still languishing at the back of a hangar. Being technically not on the records, nobody had thought to make sure it was destroyed before the attacking Japanese forces reached the base, and as such, was found in a nearly intact condition in early 1942.
The trail gets a bit fuzzy at this point, but it appears it was restored to flying condition and taken back to Japan as a trophy by a squadron c/o. At some point, he was transferred to Korea, and took his P-26 along.
No sign of it was seen again until 1951, when US Army units involved in the Korean War came across it at a long-disused Japanese Army air base. Korea still had large amounts of World War 2 Japanese hardware laying about, although most was in unserviceable state. The P-26 however was still capable of flying, and a US Army Sergeant decided to get it up and running to fly recon for his unit. It served admirably through the rest of the war, and remained in US Army possession afterwards thanks to gaps in the record keeping system. Since no P-26s existed in US Army inventory when the USAF was created, none were transferred over, so the Army kept it's P-26, although it changed the designation to F-26 to keep with the newer designation system.
Over the years, it primarily existed as a hack aircraft for officers to take out for joyrides, but it also was used as a secure dispatch delivery vehicle and short range recon. Eventually, the US Army was forbidden to operate any fixed wing combat aircraft, so the F-26 was redesignated as "Golf Course Survey Gear" and operated out of Camp Henry, near Daegu, South Korea.
In the mid 1980s, an enterprising airframe tech hit upon the idea of equipping the F-26 with Hellfire missiles. With an engine upgrade and reworking of some internal structures, a test was done and it was found the F-26 could carry 4 missiles while presenting a very small and hard to hit target. A contract was drawn up with Boeing to produce "Golf Course Survey Gear" using modern airframe technology and avionics, and the F-26D was born.
Operated by the 4077th REMF (Recreational/Educational Maintenance Facility) unit out of Daegu, they were usually flown directly from various golf course in the area. The wide dispersal made them quite safe from sabotage or attack by North Korean units, and their small size allowed them to be easily hidden when required. The addition of a bubble canopy gave the pilot a greater degree of comfort, and the silenced exhausts made the plane very hard to hear once in flight.Their existence might have never been known to the general public except for a local newspaper in the American mid west that somehow accidentally revealed deployments of "F-26s" to Korea in 2016. The USAF is still attempting to have them removed from the US Army inventory, but so far, nobody can find anything that expressly says the US Army cannot operate Golf Course hardware.

Kit used was the Academy/Hobbycraft P-26 in 1/48th scale. Canopy was smash molded over a handmade buck, the Hellfires and pylons came from a Hasegawa AH-64 1/48 kit. Decals are from my inkjet printer and an F-16 set in 1/48. Inspiration came from somebody posting on ARC that his father had heard "F-26s" were deployed to South Korea...and that got the ball rolling.

Alvis 3.1

« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 09:41:28 AM by Alvis 3.1 »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: Boeing F-26D
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 10:15:59 AM »
Not quite the canopy/windscreen I had imagined I would see on the P-26/F-26 but it works and looks like it was designed for it.  :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 10:41:43 AM »
And in "hot and high" conditions it could light off two of the Hellfire rocket motors for a really fast takeoff!

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 04:53:31 PM »
And in "hot and high" conditions it could light off two of the Hellfire rocket motors for a really fast takeoff!

And drop them as guided free-fall ordnance in combat.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 02:14:19 AM »

And drop them as guided free-fall ordnance in combat.

From medium altitude and in a dive at launch I suspect it would act much like a missile.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 03:03:10 AM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 04:37:44 AM »
That's a great P-26 permutation, Alvis! Love the new canopy and ohhhh....

what lovely spats you have there!
 :-* :-* :-*
Brian da Basher

P.S. That load-out is killer too!

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 08:33:44 AM »
Given all the twists-n-turns during the fog of war and regimented ways of military bureaucracy recordkeeping, eventually some things slip through.
This is so unusual, who woulda thought.  Inspiring story, no harm done, and splendid model of the results.  Long time P-26 fan.  To know is RW and so cool  8)

Offline Crbad

• I'd buy that for a dollar!
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 10:48:26 AM »
 :) With spats like that you can fly over the golf course and darethe grass to grow!
Craig's Bureau of Aeronautics Design: Shoddy engineering and marginal skill for the undiscerning modelling enthusiast.

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 01:15:58 PM »
 :-* I love that modern (lightweight) Peashooter II ! ;)

Offline pigflyer

• If reality is real, give me whatif. Really?
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 05:33:26 AM »
Whatever you are taking, I want some. (Do you get it from Brian?)  I love this, I must see my doctor.   

Pass the Bacardi please.

;) :-\ :icon_sleep:
If I don't plan it, it can't go wrong!

If it's great, I did it. If it's naff, I found it.