Author Topic: Pacific fleet Sea meteor.  (Read 2652 times)

Offline pigflyer

• If reality is real, give me whatif. Really?
Pacific fleet Sea meteor.
« on: February 27, 2018, 12:35:35 AM »
Hi gang, real world crud is keeping me busy but I had to contribute to the 46 build, so, excuse the rush job in the odd minutes of the last
week, and the simplicity, but here goes.

With the delaying of "The Bomb", Japanese under ground factories had time to build, and forces time to train.  Ki 84 Franks, Kawanishi N1K-J Shiden, and the D4Y Judy attack aircraft were produced along with the Ohka Cherry bomb, rocket propelled anti ship suicide craft. The latter became a real pain once things were organised.

The U.S. countered with the Lockheed P80S Wavestar. A ship borne version of the classic P80.  (Please feel free to build one.)

Brittian went with the Sea meteor.  Folding wings, direction finder (Use only allowed with permission of the carrier commander if the fleet Cmdr will allow it due to giving away the fleets position.)  navy radio fit and of course a hook allowed meteors to operate from  HMS Implacable from
June '46.  HMCS Maple leaf also operated them, the two carriers taking turns to support the fleet and withdraw for refueling and replenishment etc.

Two RN and two RCN squadrons each had sixteen aircraft, the two units flew along side three other sixteen aircraft squadrons, two of F4Us
and one of Barracudas on their respective ships.

The meteor totally outclassed the Ohka, racking up enough kills once in theater to help keep all but two of 276 launched at the British task force off the ships. Many being lost to causes other than the meteor of course.
Many other Japanese aircraft were brought down by the RN & RCN meteor pilots, mostly by hit and run tactics.

Once hostilities ceased however, all sea meteors were land based due to certain flaws.  The worst was the slow engine response to throttle movements. More meteors were lost trying to land on than in combat. When crossing the round down to land the pilot needed a crystal ball
to counter the wind sheer effects.  Asymmetric landings were almost impossible unless the sea was a dead calm.
A bad sea would keep the meteors on deck long before the same needed to be applied to the F4Us.

Churchill wanted the sea meteor to be obviously Not the American P80, while fitting in with current fleet colours and markings.  Also, in an
attempt to stop allied (or Brit for that matter) flack from making a blue on blue, the navy went for the old black and white underside that
proved so successful (not) in the BoB. 

And as for the kite itself;

If I don't plan it, it can't go wrong!

If it's great, I did it. If it's naff, I found it.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: Pacific fleet Sea meteor.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 01:07:22 AM »
That's quite fetching in that light blue scheme, Mr Flyer!

You have enviable talent!

Brian da Basher

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 01:19:23 AM »
Good!

Brittian went with the Sea meteor.  Folding wings, direction finder (Use only allowed with permission of the carrier commander
Did these jetplanes use double-length carriers? ???

Offline pigflyer

• If reality is real, give me whatif. Really?
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 01:23:39 AM »
Coo, thanks chaps, glad you like it.

Did these jetplanes use double-length carriers? ???   No, but run up to almost max throttle while on the catapult, let it go and pray hard.  :D
If I don't plan it, it can't go wrong!

If it's great, I did it. If it's naff, I found it.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 02:01:18 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 02:49:37 AM »
Nice

a real one about to land during tests

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 04:35:42 AM »
Great alternative history and build!  Bravo Zulu!
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg