Author Topic: South Katangese MiG-15  (Read 3358 times)

Offline Some Duck with an Ultimax

• Now known as "Ducky"
South Katangese MiG-15
« on: November 15, 2018, 05:24:44 AM »
The Democratic Republic of the Congo's Southern province of Katanga had always been a hotbed of secessionist activity, breaking away in 1960. While ONUC forces and Congolese troops retake the territory in 1960, the tribal leaders were not satisfied, declaring independence for the South of the province in again in 1964. This time, the tribal leaders tried a new technique: allying themselves with the Eastern Bloc - and in particular, East Germany. In 1965, East Germany provided several shipments of armaments for the 'Spring Attack'. Included in these shipments were 14 MiG-15 fighter jets, crewed by 'advisers' from the DDR itself. Over the course of their active usage with the South Katangese People's Air Defence Volunteers, several unique and notable modifications would occur.

SKMiG7 by SomeDuckWithAnUltimax, on Flickr

The first, and most obvious, of these modifications occurred to the tails of the aircraft. Air Marshall Henri George, Commander-in-Chief of the South Katangese People's Air Defence Volunteers (SKPADV) was an avid reader of Combat Aircraft Illustrated magazine. In 1968, while reading an issue of this magazine (or more specifically, looking at the pictures, seeing as he didn't speak English), he saw a photograph of the F-104 Starfighter, and was amazed by its appearance. He shouted out, "If the Capitalist-Imperialists can build aircraft that look this good, why cannot we?"

HenriGeorge by SomeDuckWithAnUltimax, on Flickr
Henri George reading his favourite publication.

A group of mechanics passing his office heard him, and took it as an order. Within two months, every aircraft in use with the SKPADV had been modified with a T-Tail. This was a relatively easy modification for the MiG-15s (whose numbers had by this point risen to 24), but you don't want to think about how they did it to their helicopters...

CAI1968 by SomeDuckWithAnUltimax, on Flickr
The magazine in question

The second obvious modification lies in the drop tanks. The South Katangese Air Ministry was fed up with its pilots: every time they flew the planes, on exercise or on alert, they would drop the drop tanks. Eventually, the government was spending more money on drop tanks than on fuel itself. As a result of this, they welded them on and removed the detachment mechanisms.

SKMiG5 by SomeDuckWithAnUltimax, on Flickr

The final change, which is far less noticeable, was the addition of a camera/reconnaissance pod under the belly of the plane, allowing the plane to take on multiple roles (making things cheaper). This pod was dismountable from its hardpoints to avoid weighing the aircraft down when it wasn't necessary. However, these pods were eye-wateringly expensive and the government could only ever afford to buy three of the units.

SKMiG6 by SomeDuckWithAnUltimax, on Flickr

When Byakko intervened in South Katanga's Northern neighbour, Zaire, the country took the opportunity to attack profitable territory to the South. Initial gains were swift, against a disorganised and badly-trained force, but once the Byakkans moved to counter the incursion any ground taken was quickly lost, and following an incident in which the South Katangese lost three MiGs in a single day to one Byakkan Phantom, they withdraw back to behind the border to lick their wounds, and the South Katanga-Zaire conflict was effectively over.

SKMiG4 by SomeDuckWithAnUltimax, on Flickr

The ageing fighters remained in service with the armed forces of the South Katangese People's Republic until the late 1990s, when they were finally replaced by MiG-21s, purchased as surplus from Albania.

SKMiG3 by SomeDuckWithAnUltimax, on Flickr

The airframe depicted here is craft number 3 of Nombre. 1 Sqdn. South Katangese People's Air Defence Volunteers, deployed to Aerodrome du Nord, during April of 1976

SKMiGRunway by SomeDuckWithAnUltimax, on Flickr
Aeroplane 3 of 1 Sqdn on the runway in 1979.
Never trust a man who tells you that you have too many paints, for he is obviously a liar and will most likely try to deceive you again in future.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: South Katangese MiG-15
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 06:13:09 AM »
 :smiley: :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Some Duck with an Ultimax

• Now known as "Ducky"
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 06:41:55 AM »
This started off as the new release Zvezda kit (which is actually the 1993 Dragon kit), and was very slightly modified to create a new aircraft. I built this largely as an experiment in self-printed decals, and it proved.... unsatisfactory is probably the best word. The SKPADV markings were originally intended as squadron markings, but my roundel design didn't print properly, instead ending up with weird stripes on it. The ones I did use in the end were kind of transparent, which looks alright-ish on an aluminium MiG, but on the Mitsubishi Zero I planned to do next I'm going to have problems. I haven't put this into the completed builds section yet as I still plan to add a couple more things to it... but they may end up never happening.
Never trust a man who tells you that you have too many paints, for he is obviously a liar and will most likely try to deceive you again in future.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 07:08:05 AM »
Great stuff ... and loved the bits about non-drop tanks and used Albania MiG-21 replacements  ;D
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 09:00:14 AM »
Wow now that's a truly magnificent MiG!

I really like those unique South Katangese markings too.

Very well done!

Brian da Basher

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 09:08:59 AM »
What the gentlemen above me said.  Quite the impressive introductory model.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 12:43:24 PM »
Looks great - especially with the slipper tanks. For a country that only lasted 2 years, they had a pretty fancy air force!

Richard Chafer has a Katangan Mig-21 profile:

I think the Mig-15 is more realistic.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 04:55:33 PM »
That is a Mig-15 you don't see around.  Wing tanks do the trick.   :smiley:
Gotta love them rivits !
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 09:46:36 AM by finsrin »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2018, 03:46:45 AM »
Nice work
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2018, 08:11:50 PM »
That works.
Nicely done