Author Topic: New Model for New Site - Sea Henley Mk 1  (Read 6569 times)

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
New Model for New Site - Sea Henley Mk 1
« on: January 08, 2012, 06:20:27 PM »
New site, so that needs a new Model.
Lots of familiar names here so looking forward to some interesting models.

Anyhoo... better put up my latest build.
The Hawker Sea Henley. This is a build for John Baxter, who does the Alternate Luftwaffe, RAAF etc books so a teaser of what is in the future if you like. He does backgrounds much better than me so I wont bother.

Suffice to say that the Sea Henley is a single seat version of the Hawker Henley light bomber, using that weight saving for extra fuel a couple of cannons and some maritime gear. In early WW2 Naval scheme before the RAN moved to the standard Aussie Blue/white roundel.

It is the goddam awful Magna Models resin kit and some of the pin holes are there to stay, because you fill one lot, sand and then more pop up. In the end you give up and live with it.

Cheers

Brian T

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: New Model for New Site - Sea Henley Mk 1
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 06:26:02 PM »
Nice one Brian.  Great work.

...will now have to be looking out for another book.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline sequoiaranger

• Gone but not forgotten. He already has a team of angels working up his bench in the sky!
  • Holding Pattern
  • E Pluribus Unum (modeling style)
Sea Henley Mk IV
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 02:22:56 AM »
Hey, *LOVE* the Henley you made! I, too shake my head at the COMPLETE head-in-the-sand attitude of the Air Ministry regarding the dive bomber, ESPECIALLY for the Royal Navy. So...

I, too, made a whiffed Sea Henley. The Henley and Hurricane were contemporaries (1937), so assuming the Air Ministry suddenly gets excited about dive bombers after the Skuas sink the German cruiser Konigsberg in Norway (1940), I "upgraded" my Henley to "Hawker Tornado" standards (the immediate follow-on the the Hurricane--including "car-door" entry and "nostril" carb intakes). I have always loved the double-row exhausts of the Vulture engine (and it worked fine in the Tornado--not so fine in the Manchester). I had the Formaplane vac-form Henley, but I don't like vac-forms, so I incorporated several Typhoon/Tempest/Hurricane injection-molded models to incorporate the same wingspan/length/shape of the Henley. The only "Henley" parts I actually used were the canopy (front half), vertical tail, and ventral fairing (the Tempest had, of course, a low wing, whereas the Henley had a low-mid wing). The over-and-under turret came from an Air-sea Rescue craft!  The markings of my Henley honor the Blackburn Skua squadron that hit Bergen and sank the Konigsberg, and the yellow is from "Operation Pedestal". A big, honkin' bomb is underneath (with bomb crutch) and American-style dive brakes (from a Brewster Bucanneer) complete the FAA dive bomber that shoulda-been.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 07:17:20 AM by sequoiaranger »
My mind is like a compost heap--fertile AND rotten!

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 06:55:59 AM »
Sharp as a tack, buzzbomb!

Brian da Basher

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 12:06:40 PM »
It is the goddam awful Magna Models resin kit and some of the pin holes are there to stay, because you fill one lot, sand and then more pop up. In the end you give up and live with it.

Nice work! 

As far as the pinholes being a problem, look at it this way, from the right distance no one will see those horrid blemishes and if they do, they need to take a few more steps backwards ;^)   

A question for you, did the Henley have an internal bomb bay?  I ask due to the obvious seam on the underside of the fuselage and that gave me the impression that there was a bomb bay and those were the doors covering it. 

See, with a bit of imagination the Henley now has a bomb bay if you want to make that claim ;^)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 12:09:41 PM by jeffryfontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 10:46:38 PM »
High quality modeling! :-*