Author Topic: Bell F-11A Condor, USAAF, 1945  (Read 8679 times)

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
Bell F-11A Condor, USAAF, 1945
« on: December 19, 2011, 04:05:21 AM »
Folks:

This is a transfer from the other forum.  Here is the back story to the F-11A Condor and pictures of the finished product. 1st Lt. I. M. Knowbody will be featured in most of my builds so I wanted to bring him over to the new forum.

Enjoy,  Carl

1st Lt. I. M. Knowbody of the USAAF sat deep in thought on the hard, unforgiving PSP under the wing of HIS F-11A. The sweltering noon-time Sun of Okinawa took no prisoners. So, where did he go wrong? What did he miss? What obvious step did he forget?

The F-11A Airacomet  was his answer to the Far East Air Forces (FEAF) HQ request for a high altitude reconnaissance aircraft to provide the much needed Intel on the Japanese mainland. Lt. Knowbody, known as Dr. Frankenstein by the other maintenance officers on Okinawa could take pieces from any aircraft, re-assemble it and make it fly. This is not what HQ wanted but in the field where parts can be scarce, it was a special gift.

For reconnaissance  flights over Japan, speed was not such a requirement as was altitude. With a service ceiling of 46,000 feet, the P-59B was perfect but it need a little help. The F-11A was yet another brain child of Dr. F. His unconventional thinking has him graft on the F-5E photo nose. Cockpit was pressurized to 25,000 Ft. Flat canopy for less drag. The tweaked J-35 engines did not complain about the lack of air at those incredible heights, it was a smooth flight and the rapid climb minimizing venerability and detection. The larger F-5E main wheels did a better job of the dealing with the uneven PSP  and finally F-5E drop tanks help feed the thirsty J-35s.

He glanced straight ahead to the F-5E, his current specialty, being prepared for it's next flight over the southern islands. The high gloss PRU Blue finish for the deep blue sky, two engine reliability, large nose cavity for 2 cameras, streamline drops tanks to get you there and back and the slender wings. It was all there but the not the extra 3-6,000 feet he needed to stay above the few but deadly high altitude Ta-152H's Germany was now supplying to Japan. The F-5E and F-11A were untouchable until the Ta-152s showed up. Due to the delay of the Tachikawa Ki-94-II , Germany loaned a dozen or so Ta-152s to the IJAAF.

Now the F-11s were grounded as HQ did not want the J-35s to fall into Axis hands. So the F-5Es were used. The intercept rate of the F-5Es were over 75% if the Ta-152H received sufficient warning and was able to meet the F-5E en route. So many brave young pilots going out into the deep blue sky every day not knowing if they will be returning home in a few hours.

His head was now resting in his hands. I wish I had a Spitfire Mk. XIX he moaned. But all deliveries of the Mk. XIX were being directed directly to the RAF for the same reason. Maybe we can free up one or two for you early next year said the crumpled telegram in his left breast pocket.

If I can just get the that extra 3,000 feet, I can stay above the deadly Ta-152H, get those pictures and save thousand of lives.

What I have done? Improved the  J-35s. Clean up the lines. No airframe drag as all rivets were flush. The PRU Blue paint was a special mixture to provide a smooth finish and minimize weight. He removed all unnecessary equipment taking off another 500 Lbs.

It is looking like Levenworth was going to be his next posting. Or maybe the driver of a LST when the mainland is invaded,

With the pre-flight checks done, F-5E began to taxi out. The PSP was very uneven making the F-5E bounce and wings tips flexing up and down. With a heavy frown, Lt. Knowbody, glanced up and noticed the F-5E was taxing towards him. It was directly in front of one his grounded F-11As. He was drawn to wing tips which at that instance line up with F-11A and for a brief moment the F-11A wing span was now 16 feet wider. His eyes went wide as saucers. THAT'S IT! How could he have miss the obvious. Yes, the F-11A could not get to 50,000 feet with the current wing span but would another 16 feet give him?

Lt. Knowbody leaped up, slammed his head in the wing of the F-11A, swore profusely, ran to his office and grabbed his tape measure. He ran back out the to flight-line, measured the chord of the F-11A wing at the outboard side of the aileron. Then he ran to the F-5E, measured again. Eureka!!!  Oh, the possibilities.  Quick, quick, do the math. Do the math. Out with the slide ruler he always kept in his coveralls. 16” x 4 foot average chord = 64 Sq. Ft. Current wing area is 386 Sq. Ft. New value is 450 Sq Ft. New wing load value is ....  hee hee hee he mumbled to himself. It could work. Hee hee hee.

Then looking over to the bone yard, there sat an engine-less F-5B with a broken main spar, unused drop tanks, good landing gear. A big smile broke over his face for the first time in weeks.

3 Weeks later, the first over Japan F-11B taxied back to flightline. The pilot braked, shutdown the J-35s, threw back the canopy, the pilot raised five fingers in the air indicating be reached the predicted 50,000 foot ceiling. The photo's were awesome but more importantly, the Ta-152H tried but failed to shoot down the F-11B as it cruised safely 2,000' higher.  Given the F-11B was a new aircraft in theatre, the outer wing tips and tail were painted  yellow to assist in identification by friendly forces.

Lt. Knowbody slept through the night for the first time in 6 months.

After a few weeks and very successful results, it was officially named the Condor by HQ. The follow on A/C were the F-11C and D models. More cameras and better engines.

So here we have it folks, the absolute true story of the first USAAF jet reconnaissance aircraft of the Second World War. Believe it or not.

Stayed tuned for the next adventure of Capt. I. M. Knowbody.

The kit is the Special Hobby P-59A. Nose, wing tips, main landing gear and drop tanks from the DML F-5E and P-38J kits.

Decals are from the kit, DML P-38J, Aeromaster P-51D and a F-4D - the yellow band around the canopy to hide the massive gap. 

My MPM PR XIX as a comparison.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 09:12:16 AM by The Big Gimper »
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: Bell F-11A Condor, USAAF, 1945
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 06:27:04 AM »
Certainly a winning combination of P-38 and P59 that you have created.  I like the way it turned out with the long wings.  Was there any in-progress images taken of this project?  Would be nice to see how you put it all together.
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 06:44:11 AM »
Here you go Jeff.

Here his how started I the thread:

in·san·i·ty
   [in-san-i-tee]

noun, plural in·san·i·ties.

1. The uncorrectable condition of continually buying a MPM or Special Hobby Kit because the subject is very unique but ignoring that fact that it will never build like an Academy, Hasegawa or Tamiya kit.
2. Spending untold hours of correcting design flaws, using pints of CA glue and PSR-ing.
3. Once the the kit is completed and admiration by peers take place, a form of amnesia occurs. See No. 1 for additional details.

The P-38 wings fit like a dream.  The only issue they were a butt fit. But them most of the MPM kits are like this.

Carl

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 07:03:26 AM »
Hi Carl,

Thanks for sharing the "rest of the story" now I better understand what you did with the wings.  I thought at first that you had taken the entire wing from the P-38 and mated that to the P-59.  You did a good job on blending the wingtip extensions into the P-59 wing and that made it more of a mystery since most every P-38 kit that i have encountered has those pesky booms and engines interrupting the wing.
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 07:44:12 AM »
Hi Jeff:

It was bit of a brain fart. Not sure what inspired me to combine the P-59A with the P-38. I will admit that some of the ideas from PR19_Kit developed were an inspiration.

Yeah, I have now some P-38 bits which I want to re-use but you are correct in that the wings out board of the booms are narrow in chord and a unique shape. I hope find a match one day.

Carl
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 10:01:50 AM by The Big Gimper »

Offline Scooterman

• Professional A-4 Stalker...and stealer of Rule 3.
  • Even his underwear is embroided with Skyhawks...
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 07:47:35 AM »
LIKE!

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 08:13:22 AM »
It was bit a brain fart. Not sure what inspired me to combine the P-59A with the P-38. I will admit that some of ideas PR19_Kit developed were an inspiration.

Yeah, I have now some P-38 bits which I want to re-use but you are correct in that the wings out board of the booms are narrow in chord and a unique shape. I hope find a match one day.

Hi Carl,

You could always solicit for some ideas on how best to use those parts from the other members on the forum. 

Offline sotoolslinger

• A World Champion Blackbelt in Putty-Foo…the man means business (just look at his photo!)
  • Look at the banner and you will see his work.
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 08:46:19 AM »
Frikken Brilliant. Beautiful design. :in-love:  :want:

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 10:30:18 AM »
Nice job! The wings are great! I try to build my models strong like that too (results vary!)
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 05:10:23 PM »
Inspired
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 10:49:36 PM »
This is a really nice conversion; it's inspired me to come up with something to make out of my P-59.

Offline sequoiaranger

• Gone but not forgotten. He already has a team of angels working up his bench in the sky!
  • Holding Pattern
  • E Pluribus Unum (modeling style)
Skunk Works Pre-cursor!
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 01:17:53 AM »
Nice, long-winged version! Maybe the inspiration for the U-2??
My mind is like a compost heap--fertile AND rotten!

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 05:53:54 AM »
Yowsa that rocks!

Brian da Basher

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
Re: Skunk Works Pre-cursor!
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 05:19:13 AM »
Nice, long-winged version! Maybe the inspiration for the U-2??

Maj. I. M. Knowbody did have post-war employment with the Lockheed Corp of Burbank, CA.

:yarr:

Offline tc2324

• Just slightly on the edge of madness......!
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 07:01:58 PM »
Now that looks great.  :D
Whiffing is for Life...., not just for Christmas!!!

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2011, 04:08:22 AM »
Great model!

Offline Bladerunner

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2011, 03:41:48 AM »
That looks very cool indeed. :in-love:

Sentinel Chicken

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2011, 01:35:09 AM »
Holy Crap this is AWESOME.