Author Topic: RAAF retains a flying reserve  (Read 12106 times)

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
RAAF retains a flying reserve
« on: June 26, 2014, 10:11:33 PM »
The RAAF lost its flying reserve in the late 50s, what if instead the government selected a new generation of affordable combat aircraft to equip the reserve squadrons.

Australia tends to buy competent mid range fighters as high end types can't be afforded in the numbers required,  if there were a flying reserve operating numbers of good enough low end aircraft the RAAF could have elected to operate a silver bullet force of high end types and a larger number of the same types as operated by the reserve.

During the late 50s an improved version of the Folland Gnat selected for production in Australia as a reserve fighter, advanced trainer and supplement for the Sabre.  A single,  large, squadron of F-106, or Lightnings and a single large squadron of V bombers is ordered at the same time.

This is followed by the selection of the F5A/B to follow the Gnat into production with Phantom and Hustler in the 60s.  F-5E/F, F-14 or F-15 and F-111 replaced the original 1950s fleet.

In the 80s it was decided to equip part of the reserve with strike aircraft, I.e Jaguar although this could have happened earlier with Skyhawks etc.  The next generation reserve fighter was the F-20, supporting additional Tomcats or Eagles with the new silver bullet bomber, to replace the B-58, being the B-1B.

1990s Gipen, F-15E etc, etc.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: RAAF retains a flying reserve
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 02:34:41 AM »
If you are going with a late 50's/early '60s starting point and want the reserve force to remain capable, I would with stick with the F-5 series.  In fact, you could tie in with the following statements by Air Marshal Sir Frederick Scherger, RAAF chief in 1957-1961, (from an ANZUS meeting in 1958 - see http://www.history.state.gov/historicaldocuments/frus1958-60v16/d19):

"...we have been desperately seeking a small, versatile airplane which can range over the whole area and which can operate from the thousand and one 6000-foot strips left over from the last war and which still are there and from which commercial airplanes are still operating...

...We believe we have found the airplane in a project which has been raised and was having a little difficulty here, the Northrop–156, which is a development of the T–38 supersonic trainer. It is a light airplane and can have a lot of sophistication in it, but we don’t want a lot of sophistication. We want it in a fairly cheap and uncomplicated form. It is the kind of thing we can build and build relatively cheaply, and it is the kind of airplane which could be used right throughout that area, where we ourselves are perhaps the most capable in the use of modern equipment…"

I would look at using the Citizen Air Force Squadrons as the basis and for markings etc: 

No 21 (City of Melbourne) Squadron
No 22 (City of Sydney) Squadron
No 23 (City of Brisbane) Squadron
No 24 (City of Adelaide) Squadron
No 25 (City of Perth) Squadron

Maybe have them initially equipped with a mix of T-38A Talon Trainers (which could also be the RAAF's primary advanced trainer instead of the MB.326) and F-5As - both of which could have been available from the early '60s.  Later on replace the F-5A with the more potent F-5E.  Finally move to the F-20.

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 08:37:51 AM »
Better not to adopt the T-38, it couldn't be armed.  However, F-5Bs could and could provide the same functionality as the normal fighter version and the trainer...

Alternatively, it could be equipped with other armed trainers such as the Strikemaster or the T-37 of the Fouga Magister, all were roughly contempories of the Northrop products.

A flying reserve would be expensive to operate, so perhaps instead of a jet fighter equipped one, how about a propeller equipped one, dedicated to ground attack?   Perhaps give it Skyraiders?

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 10:24:21 AM »
Or a mix of fighter and attack say 3 fighter and two attack squadrons with the regular force adding another two of each type in addition to their silver bullet force.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 02:38:08 AM »
Better not to adopt the T-38, it couldn't be armed. 

You were saying…looks very much like a SUU-11 gun pod on the centreline...

I still think a T-38/F-5/F-20 grouping works well.  I personally would keep to the simpler side rather than introduce strike capabilities or similar.

Post the F-20, one could go for something such as the T-50 / F/A-50 series:

Offline kim margosein

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 04:39:46 AM »
I'm surprised that no one considered the CA-31 for the inexpensive reserve fighter.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 04:42:43 AM »
I'm surprised that no one considered the CA-31 for the inexpensive reserve fighter.

Certainly an option.  The main reason I rejected it (apart from there being only one model kit I am aware of…Uncle Les!) was that it would be too late for the initial timeframe.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 04:44:41 AM by GTX_Admin »

Offline Rickshaw

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 12:46:40 PM »

I still think a T-38/F-5/F-20 grouping works well.  I personally would keep to the simpler side rather than introduce strike capabilities or similar.

No missiles on a T-38, no hard points other than the centreline one.  IIRC the gun pod was a late addition on the aircraft, the centreline pylon could only carry a luggage pod originally.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 03:31:00 AM »
No missiles on a T-38, no hard points other than the centreline one.  IIRC the gun pod was a late addition on the aircraft, the centreline pylon could only carry a luggage pod originally.

Still...it is far from "couldn't be armed".

Given the role envisaged, the T-38 would not have required weapons anyway.  That's what the F-5s etc would be for.  Besides, if we are in the whiff verse, there is no reason to say the T-38s could not have been armed.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 03:36:09 AM by GTX_Admin »

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 08:32:18 AM »
The whole idea was to provide a baseline fighter / strike force of five or more reserve and three or four permanent Air Force squadrons that permits the permanent force to have a silver bullet force of three or four large squadrons equipped with state of the art tier one combat aircraft.  This baseline force would also provide an ongoing production opportunity for Australian industry with first the Gnat and then from the mid 60's the F-5 through to the F-20 in the 90's .
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 01:49:08 PM by Volkodav »

Offline Rickshaw

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 09:13:11 AM »
Does anybody know where to get some 1/72 RAAF 24 Squadron City of Adelaide decals?   ;)

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 02:11:37 AM »

If memory serves me correctly, China Lake used a modified T-38 with missile rails as part of Sidewinder development efforts.  Still, you could just as easily go with F-5Bs and have them normally fly with tip tanks rather than missile rails but have them able to be fitted "for training purposes" when needed.

Offline Geoff

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2014, 04:36:43 AM »
Hi,
Like the scenario. Do you think the F-5As would get the updates similar to the Dutch and Canadian ones?

It struck me Oz is a big place and air to air refuelling would be a good idea, even if you were using a "buddy" type system.
Also as early MANPADS come about - some chaff/flare dispensers get scabbed on, and you sort of have a C/NF-5A hybrid.( F-5O?)    :-*

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2014, 04:42:05 AM »
I would imagine the F-5As would be replaced rather than upgraded.  Aerial refuelling capability might be added but it wouldn't necessarily be essential.

A new twist might also be to have the Reserve units take on an "Aggressor" role, even if only partially.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2014, 04:42:40 AM »
Hmmm…this is getting the 'juices' flowing on a new story…maybe.

Offline Geoff

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2014, 04:54:58 AM »
I read this thread and had a scan through an F-5A kit which had all the whistles and bells in it to do the early "simple" 5s and the updated euro ones.
I suppose the obvious one would be a stock 5 with perhaps AAR as a training role??

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2014, 08:29:18 PM »
What could be interesting is the 1960 Indonesian scare results in an expansion and modernisation of the RAAF Reserve.  Number of squadrons is increased from five to ten and the (CAC built) F-5A/B is selected as the reserve fighter to replace the Vampires, Meteors and Avon Sabres of the five existing squadrons while the (CAC built, Avon powered ADEN armed) FJ-4B Fury is pegged as the attack plane for the five new units.

This is part of an overall expansion and modernisation of the ADF in light of new and growing threats decided upon rather than attempting to draw the US into conflicts within the region. i.e Australia decided to see to their own defence first rather then leaning on friends and allies as it was realised that the pre-WWI stance of building and supporting an independent "Fleet Unit" had been more successful than the WWII stance of assuming the UK would see to our defence.  There was a clear requirement to be able to counter existing regional threats on our own and to be part of alliances to counter larger extra regional or global threats.  This required an increase in defence spending but it was seen that the benefits of being able to stay out of expensive small wars and also of building a sustainable defence industry outweighed this extra upfront expense.

The F-5A/B enters series production in 1965 concurrently with the Avon Fury and remains in production through the F-5E/F, F-20A/B, C/D and E/F before being replaced in production with the SAAB JAS 39 Gripen in the early 2000s.  The Fury is succeeded in production by the A-4, then the A-7, and finally the Jaguar before the RAAF reserve standardises on the Gripen for fighter and attack.

Offline Geoff

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2014, 10:29:50 PM »
Works for me!

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2014, 11:56:02 PM »
Definitely works for me.  From what I know of proposals, the F-20C/D were F-20A/B fuselages with larger wings to get the wing loading back down to at least F-5E/F levels if not down to F-5A/B levels.  Note, if you have surplus F-5Es at a later date, new noses similar to those of the F-5B/T-38 can be fitted to them as TF-5Es (there's a common split point between forward fuselage and center fuselage for all F-5/F-20 variants, the canted bulkhead at the back of the cockpit).

Offline Rickshaw

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2014, 09:44:00 PM »
The best available (and comparatively cheap) F-5A available nowadays is the Wolfpack 1/72 one.  This is a re-issue of the Italeri kit with ROC markings.

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2014, 12:22:53 AM »
Imagining silver painted F-5A/Bs with high vis "city" squadron markings, tail flashes, colour bars on the fuselage roundels and colourful spines, tails etc. Like the early RAF Lightenings.

Also a regular force RAAF F-5A aerobatic team to rival the Red Arrows, Thunderbirds etc.

Permanent air force would have 75, 76 and 77 sqn fighters, 3 sqn as tactical reconnaissance, with 1 and 2 sqn as strike and 6 sqn as strategic reconnaissance as well as ECM, ESM SEAD.  Additional PAF squadrons would have been formed to cover treaty obligations within and outside the region using either purpose selected and procured airframes or additional F-5s as required and additional interceptor squadrons would have been raised for point air defence (Lightnings) in place of the procurement  of immature SAMs.

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2014, 12:37:28 AM »
I am absolutely fuming, I just spent the best part of an hour laboriously typing my latest hare brained idea, on my windows phone, when it locked up and I lost the lot ! >:D

Once I have finished swearing and possibly after I have had a good nights sleep, I may attempt to retype it all.  Anyway, the conclusion was an independent RAN FAA and fixed wing Army Air Corp (similar to the USMC air capability but purely land based), each with their own flying reserve.  The Army Air Corp mainly consisting of an Aviation Group / Brigade for each Division i.e. Therefore one regular and two reserve Aviation Groups / Brigades.  Each of these aviation formations would consist of fighter / fighter bomber, attack / strike / bomber, reconnaissance / surveillance / observation, support / liaison / communication and transport wings / regiments and squadrons.  This of couse would result in many of my favorite aircraft sporting foliage green or modern tricolour cam schemes with army titles. Foliage green F-5 with roo roundels operating in South Vietnam 1968?

Offline Geoff

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2015, 03:57:52 AM »
  This of course would result in many of my favorite aircraft sporting foliage green or modern tricolour cam schemes with army titles. Foliage green F-5 with roo roundels operating in South Vietnam 1968?

:icon_alabanza:

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2015, 02:11:03 PM »
The flying reserve, as established post WWII, was initially four, later five, squadrons, assigned the interceptor role; the two planned regular squadrons were assigned the long range fighter role.  The establishment of the reserve squadrons was to be 40% regular and 60% reserve personnel with their initial equipment being Mustangs, replaced with Vampires and Meteors, although 24 Sqn never received jets. 

A very simple thought is that the RAAF maintained this mix of regular, long range figher / fighter attack / fighter-bomber and reserve interceptor, evolving into night and all weather interceptor.  When the Sea Venom was selected for the RAN FAA DHA licence produced them as well as Venom NFs for the RAAF reserve.  They could then go a number of ways, Javelin, Lightning, F-106, Mirage IIIC or E, Arrow, Draken, Hunter FAW, an AVON powered F-86D/K/L, CAC CA-23, or even an interceptor version of whatever bomber / reconnaissance type the regular RAAF adopted, Vigilante, Hustler, F-111,etc.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2015, 02:26:55 PM »
Sounds good! :)

Lightning could be a good choice as a point interceptor over the East coast cities & Darwin, with longer range interceptors operating out of Adelaide & Perth, & maybe a second squadron out of Sydney. Not sure what, though.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."