Author Topic: Anglicized KV-5 Superheavy Tank-Destroyer  (Read 5440 times)

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
Anglicized KV-5 Superheavy Tank-Destroyer
« on: October 25, 2016, 12:18:10 PM »
The only thing that's for sure about this project at this point is that it will get a bigger gun than the original 107mm...... barring some serious change of heart, it's gonna be a 120mm L1 (in addition to the inspiration, again, coming from here, hence the term "Anglicized").  I'm messing around with the gun mantlet now, and then I'll also try to modify the machinegun turrets to house a BESA MG each......

The idea is that it is employed as a command tank for a tank destroyer unit otherwise formed by examples of a KV-1S-based analog to the Conway. 

Comments and suggestions welcomed.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 04:39:27 PM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
Another entry! More Armour for the Armour Gods!

Looking forward to progress reports and photos.

Please proceed.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
Why not a sort of KVish version of the Conway tank Destroyer for almost the same reasons

Offline dy031101

Why not a sort of KVish version of the Conway tank Destroyer for almost the same reasons

Right now I have a hard time unifying the style of Conway turret with that of the new mantlet for the upgunned KV-5 turret......

Or ought I just use an internal mantlet and claim that emulating the scheme of the Conway is impractical for mere modification of an already-built turret?

Comments and suggestions will be appreciated.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 01:33:47 PM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline dy031101

I want to give the tank a coincidence rangefinder......

In this mock-up attempt, the commander's machine gun is kept.  I want to use the BESA machinegun, but its only auxiliary turret application I think think of is the early marks of Crusader tank, and I am not sure if I want to adopt the scheme on the Crusaders......

What is the useful elevation of a machinegun cupola?  I mean, it's probably not going to be terribly responsive for anti-aircraft defense even against prop-driven aircraft, but is shooting at enemies in elevated positions (like higher floors during urban operations) important enough of a consideration when adding tertiary armaments to tanks?

Or...... ought I just get rid of the MG and lower the rangefinder to within the height constraint of the original commander's mini-turret?

Thanks in advance.  Comments and suggestions welcomed.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 01:06:35 PM by dy031101 »

Offline dy031101

Re: Withdrawn- (Maybe Anglicized) KV-5 Superheavy Tank-Destroyer
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 02:22:50 PM »
Given that I proved unable to allocate time to work on this item...... I have no choice but to request to have it moved to Clear the Workbench GB...... (banging head)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Withdrawn- (Maybe Anglicized) KV-5 Superheavy Tank-Destroyer
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 03:09:24 AM »
I have no choice but to request to have it moved to Clear the Workbench GB...... (banging head)

Move made...now get to it! >:(
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline dy031101

Re: (Maybe Anglicized) KV-5 Superheavy Tank-Destroyer
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 12:42:59 PM »
Just to confirm that I am on the KV-5 project now......

I am having trouble redesigning the mantlet, so I am reverting to the original.  And there is a possibility for me to conclude in the future that a rangefinder is more important for the commander than having a machinegun......
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 03:36:42 AM by dy031101 »

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
Re: (Maybe Anglicized) KV-5 Superheavy Tank-Destroyer
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 04:07:58 AM »
I just love the way this looks, but also how you present it. Its a real treat for the eyes
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline dy031101

Re: Anglicized KV-5 Superheavy Tank-Destroyer
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 03:16:58 PM »
I just figure that I'd put my stuff under constant scrutiny  ;)

Hum...... I might be able to run a periscope from the rangefinder down between the BESA machine gun and its sight.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 02:59:02 AM by dy031101 »

Offline dy031101

Re: Anglicized KV-5 Superheavy Tank-Destroyer
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 02:56:54 PM »

Alternatively I can replace the periscope cupola with the rangefinder post altogether......

Because I just found out that what I took to be "commander's mini-turret" might actually be operated by one of the loaders......