Poll

What style or type of folding wing do you find most appealing?

1. Parallel to the fuselage wing fold design
6 (27.3%)
2, Asymmetric wing fold design
4 (18.2%)
3. Multiple section wing fold design
5 (22.7%)
4. Uniform section wing fold design
7 (31.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: February 19, 2014, 09:03:40 PM

Author Topic: Survey: Preferred Style of Folding Wings for Aircraft Subjects?  (Read 10343 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: Survey: Preferred Style of Folding Wings for Aircraft Subjects?
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2014, 12:54:04 PM »
Generally, I'd say it's "horses for courses" but I'm going to focus on your mentioned build.

To the best of my knowledge all early parallel wing-fold systems were manual, which adds work for the flight deck crew. On the later ones the hydraulics become more complex & more prone to failure. They, also, create a wider footprint on the deck for multi-engined aircraft. The only reason the E-2 Hawkeye uses a parallel fold is because of the radar disk over its wings.

Actually, the asymmetric wing-fold system is really quite simple & involves no overly complex cutting. Having worked on S-2G's I like their wing-fold system, a simple hinge & hydraulic ram system &, unless you implement a folding vertical tailplane assembly, the wings usually sit lower than the tail. Another bonus is that the wings can be folded while the plane is taxiing to the deck spot, rather than having to stop & have the wings folded by the ground crew, which makes clearing the landing deck faster.

The A-20 has a high/shoulder mounted wing, like the Tracker, so for your A-20, this is the system I'd use. It's simple & effective. To get the correct cut angle on your wings for the asymmetric fold, simply trace your outer wing onto a piece of cardboard & cut out, then fit/dry-fit the wings to the fuselage & place the cutouts in a folded position over them. Find the angles you like & mark with a Sharpie - remember, closer to the nacelle is better for wing strength. Each aircraft type will be different because of the length of the outer wing, if the A-20's outer wing is short enough you may get a symmetrical fold. Cut (remembering to angle it outward slightly towards the lower surface) & detail to your liking.

I haven't mentioned the hydraulic pins which hold the wings together, because all folding-wing planes have them in one form or another, but remember to add them & the locking teeth to your detailing.

:icon_music:

Guy
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2014, 01:44:43 PM »
Interesting I have considered a carrier version of the Bristol Beaufighter b

You were saying...
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2014, 02:03:21 PM »
With the mid-fuselage, mid-nacelle mounting of the Beau's wings the parallel fold system would be more practical; not much bigger footprint on the deck but a much lower profile.

:icon_music:

Guy
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2014, 02:19:12 PM »
Interesting I have considered a carrier version of the Bristol Beaufighter b

You were saying...
;D
Although for late 41 early 42 it would be based on the 1C or if accelerated the VIC not the TFX, that would be later  8)

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2014, 08:30:55 AM »
I think you'll need the TFX's fin extension and high dihedral tail plane on a carrier.  The swing on the Beau was horrendous and claimed more aircraft than the enemy did!  :(

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2014, 10:16:09 AM »
Mechanically, I reckon the asymmetric fold would be the simplest, if a symmetric fold would result in wingtips hitting each other.  After that, I'd go with a parallel fold as the next least complicated.