Author Topic: One Wing Biplanes  (Read 17347 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
Re: One Wing Biplanes
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2020, 02:48:31 AM »
The Merlin LFG Roland D.II looks good!

I wonder what the Boeing P-26 would look like as a parasol wing fighter...

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2020, 03:58:43 PM »
Very nice Robin! I'd missed the Polikarpov, 'Harry Tate', and all the Germans. Great stuff  :smiley: :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2020, 04:58:30 PM »
You been having too much fun.  Whole bunch look pretty darn legit.  Satin finish on P-26 is different in a good way, something to remember.  :smiley:

Offline robunos

• Can't afford the top wing of his biplanes...
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2020, 12:05:10 AM »
Thanks for the comments, Gents . . .   :)) 
The Merlin D.II kit suffered very badly from flash on the fuselage halves, though the wings and tail weren't too bad. A lot of filing and scraping was needed. Likewise, the propeller was unusable, hence the scratched one. I also replaced the wheels with Revell Fokker D.VII ones, the kit ones were white metal, and not much good.
 I will post another picture of it, from another angle, I've just noticed that the proportions look odd. I went with the mid-wing because the real D.II has a fuselage that completely fills the gap between the wings, and both low and high wings didn't look right, likewise the C.II. Of course, then the D.VI had to have a mid wing, to complete the family look . . .
I made and fitted a new gun ring to the C.II, and the RE 8, I'm not happy with the RE 8, the decals were poor, I will make another at some point.
I am still hoping some one will produce a new kit ( are you listening, Airfix ? ), but until then . . .
A parasol Peashooter ? It would need a wing swap, there's little enough span as it is . . .  ;D
The satin finish is supposed to be matt, but I still haven't found a truly matt finish that brushes on . . .

cheers,
Robin.

By the pricking of my thumbs, Something Whiff-y this way comes . . .

Offline stevehed

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2020, 07:07:28 PM »
Hi Robin,
            First time I've seen the complete OWB collection. Some very neat ideas. I particularly like the pushers.

Regards, Steve

Offline robunos

« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2021, 05:53:08 AM »
Okay, here's the latest addition to the One Wing Biplane fleet, a BE2c . . .

'Royal Aircraft Factory BE2c of 39 Squadron, piloted by Lieutenant William Leefe-Robinson, on the occasion of his shooting down the airship Schutte-Lanz S.L.11, on 3rd September, 1916, for which he was awarded the Victoria Cross.'

cheers,
Robin.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 05:56:08 AM by robunos »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2021, 02:07:42 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline robunos

« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2021, 12:53:20 AM »

A Halberstadt Scout . . .
Not sure if this counts as a scratch-build or a conversion . . .

Fuselage aft of the wings and horizontal tail from a 1/72 Revell Fokker Eindecker, wings from a 1/72 Revell Sopwith Camel. Forward fuselage plastic card, top decking epoxy putty. Rudder, undercarriage, gun and propeller from the spares box, decals are from Almark sheet A29 'German Crosses 1916-17' Colour scheme from 'Fighters 1914-19. page 34.
This model is not true scale, and also has a mixture of features of the various Halberstadt D-types, hence why I call it a 'scout', rather than a particular D-type . . .

cheers,
Robin.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2021, 08:28:51 AM »
The Halberstadt is pretty but I love the way you've left the spars exposed on the BE.2c! Very nice  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline robunos

« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2021, 10:57:43 PM »
Thanks, Gents .  .   :-[
@apophenia; that's the way the part is moulded, I had to be so careful not to break the wings off when I was painting and decaling . . . 
After Airfix released this kit, I was hoping that they would go on to re-tool some of their other Great War kits to the same standard, but of course, they didn't . . . :icon_twisted: :(

cheers,
Robin.

Offline sotoolslinger

• A World Champion Blackbelt in Putty-Foo…the man means business (just look at his photo!)
  • Look at the banner and you will see his work.
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2021, 11:37:52 PM »
You are awesome :-*
Don't want to threadjack but thought you might like this one
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/hh50/sotoolslinger/ROT%20HALW/IMG_1072.jpg

Offline robunos

« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2021, 05:58:02 AM »
You are awesome :-*
Don't want to threadjack but thought you might like this one
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/hh50/sotoolslinger/ROT%20HALW/IMG_1072.jpg

Praise indeed from the master . . .   :-[    :D

That's excellent, it looks like it started life as a Bristol Bulldog, amirite ?

cheers,
Robin.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2021, 08:08:23 AM »
... it looks like it started life as a Bristol Bulldog, amirite ?...

Good eye! I was thinking P-26 but, you're right, it looks much more like a Bulldog fuselage (and upper wing?)  :smiley:

Offline sotoolslinger

• A World Champion Blackbelt in Putty-Foo…the man means business (just look at his photo!)
  • Look at the banner and you will see his work.
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2021, 08:22:31 AM »
... it looks like it started life as a Bristol Bulldog, amirite ?...

Good eye! I was thinking P-26 but, you're right, it looks much more like a Bulldog fuselage (and upper wing?)  :smiley:
Shoot its been so long since the build that I'm sure y'all are correct. Bulldog sounds right. I don't think I've ever had a Peashooter model :-[

Offline robunos

« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2022, 06:18:39 AM »

Okay, time for the latest batch of One Wing Biplanes . . .
First up, a Czech Aero A-100 bomber, from the old KP Kit,

and a radial engined prototype . . .

Next, the Avia B.21 fighter. The kit radiator had a horrible, unfixable sink mark in the radiator, so i replaced iot with a scratch-built one.

The Letov S.231, again from the old KP kit  . . .

Fleet Model 16 'Finch', radial engined version, in RCAF markings, and fitted with a canopy. From the Azur FR.ROM kit, this kit allows you to build radial and inline engined versions, and open or enclosed cockpits.

Now we have some 'Dodgy Geezers', a batch of Russian/Soviet aircraft I started before the current War started . . .

Anatra DS 'Anasal', from the Emhar kit. It's hard to see, but the gun ring is a 3D-printed part . . .

Next is a Polikarpov I-3, from the Encore boxing of the ICM kit,

Also from the Encore boxing of the ICM kit is a Polikarpov I-15 bis,

and an Antonov An-2, from the Revell kit, converted into a Polar Aviation version with skis and home-made decals . . .

And finally, the 'Daddy' of them all, the original 'One Wing Biplane', an old-tool Airfix Gladiator, which I built to see if the One Wing Biplane concept was workable . . .

cheers,
Robin.

Offline ericr

• He's like some sort of Dr Frankenstein of modelling...
  • Has something for red, yellow or blue...
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2022, 07:00:09 PM »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2022, 09:19:36 PM »
Good stuff, all 'round! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2022, 12:41:43 AM »
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2022, 05:26:13 AM »
Wow! Somebody has been productive lately  :smiley:

Hard to know where to start ... so much gorgeousness. Still, gotta love those '30s Czech designs (and their simple schemes)  :-*

But, even in the face of such abundance, greed is not sated. Any chance of a high-winged, OWB Antonov An-2?

Offline robunos

« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2022, 05:59:04 AM »
Wow! Somebody has been productive lately  :smiley:
Thanks,  :D :-[
But some of those were built some time ago, and I just never got round to posting them up . . .

Hard to know where to start ... so much gorgeousness. Still, gotta love those '30s Czech designs (and their simple schemes)  :-*
They are nice, unfortunately those old-tool KP kits are getting rare, and expensive. As to the colour schemes, TUSIS applies, although it's a pain to get those roundels aligned correctly, and you also have to remember which roundel goes on which wing, they're handed . . .

But, even in the face of such abundance, greed is not sated. Any chance of a high-winged, OWB Antonov An-2?
Well . . . I do have another AN-2 kit, the Italeri version, (and no, it's not the same as the Revell kit; I thought it was, but it isn't . . .), and the high wing version is the easy option, and looking at the marking options has given me an idea for the back story, so, s'possible . . .  ;)

cheers,
Robin.

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2022, 07:49:44 AM »
Great concept :smiley: .. I've generally stayed away from biplanes but this saves a hell a lot of work aligning & rigging work !

The wings on that Polikarpov I-15 bis look too big - cut 'em down for a 1935 Reno racer ;) ;D

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2022, 12:30:51 PM »
The Aero A-100 and Avia radials are my favorites. The A-100 reminds me of a slicker Vickers Wellesley. The An-2 looks great, too.

Offline robunos

« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2022, 06:25:50 AM »
Great concept :smiley: .. I've generally stayed away from biplanes but this saves a hell a lot of work aligning & rigging work !
That was the original idea! No fiddly struts, no wobbly wings, and no frustrating wires . . . ;D ;)

The wings on that Polikarpov I-15 bis look too big - cut 'em down for a 1935 Reno racer ;) ;D
They look big, but the whole model is tiny . . . the wingspan is less than the S.231 model I posted . . .

cheers,
Robin.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 06:32:43 AM by robunos »

Offline robunos

« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2022, 06:32:20 AM »
The Aero A-100 and Avia radials are my favorites. The A-100 reminds me of a slicker Vickers Wellesley. The An-2 looks great, too.
Thanks . . .  The Aero does look good, doesn't it. I got the idea for the radial powered version when I looked at the shape of the lower fuselage behind the radiator duct. The rounded shape seemed ideal to fit a radial engine to, just had to modify the upper fuselage to match.
I like the An-2 as well. As I said, a high wing version is easier to build, but I liked the idea of a low winged version. Then I saw the Polar Aviation colour scheme, and I had the skis left over from my 'Hydrosan' Build, so that was it.

cheers,
Robin.

Offline robunos

« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2022, 06:45:10 AM »
Any chance of a high-winged, OWB Antonov An-2?

Ask and ye shall be rewarded . . . ;)

https://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=10253.msg195290#msg195290

cheers,
Robin.