Author Topic: Curtiss Aero Cavalry Sabre Scout  (Read 1979 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Curtiss Aero Cavalry Sabre Scout
« on: November 19, 2018, 12:22:33 AM »

The Curtiss Aero Cavalry Sabre Scout was the first American swept-wing biplane jet fighter and saw widespread service over the western front.

Continuing with the standard U.S. armament of six .50 caliber Marlin machine guns, the Curtiss Sabre was nonetheless a formidable opponent as many enemy Fokker D.DCC and Pfalz D.DCCC pilots discovered to their disastrous detriment.

Entering U.S. Army Aero Service service just in time to see action in the 41st Meuse-Argonne Offensive, the Sabre would play a critical role in re-establishing American air superiority over this vital sector.

The Curtiss Sabre was exceptionally maneuverable given its biplane wings and all-flying tail and could out-turn the best the Germans could put up against it.

Universally loved by pilots and ground crew alike, this fighter would form the bulk of American interceptor strength shortly after arriving in France in the last year of the conflict.

While it was produced in great numbers and would serve through the Armistice that ended of the Great 40 Years World War, few survived past the subsequent peace after the Treaty of Verdun.

Only three Curtiss Aero Cavalry Sabres exist today. Two are in the U.S. and the third is currently on display at the General William Mitchell U.S. Army Aero Service memorial near Tours, France.

Brian da Basher

« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 07:51:47 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: Curtiss Aero Cavalry Sabre Scout
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 12:40:36 AM »
This all started with Airfix's wonderful 1/72 new-tool Canadair Sabre F.4/North American F-86F/E(M). Isn't that box art great? Airfix has certainly upped their game here.

Airfix has also upped their game with the magnificent molding of this kit which I think is one of the best Sabres in this scale even if the rivet counters disagree.

Of course, mine was going to be just a little bit different. Actually, the only mod was adding a spare set of wings from another Airfix Sabre which had this box art:

This was one of the smoothest kitbashes I've done yet.

To make the new upper wings work, I had to extend them by adding bits of wing roots from another fine Airfix product, their DeHavilland Comet racer.

Paint was applied by hand with the old hairy stick. I used some of that custom RAF PC-10 and another custom green acrylic along with Polly Scale Building Brown and Model Masters Sand with just a bit of a custom dark chocolate brown on the uppers. The canopy was tinted on the inside with Model Masters Insignia Blue and the burner can was done in Jet Exhaust.

Polly Scale Early Israeli "Gray" was used to approximate clear doped linen on the undersides.

This scheme was a slight variation on the famous one worn by SPAD XIIIs:

Granted this one's Italian, but it's my understanding the aircraft were painted at the factory in France and they were all done in a similar pattern.

I added the kit pitot to the upper wing, thinking Curtiss did this because he disliked uncouth ground crew. The notch for the pitot in the lower wing was converted into a landing light with a couple dabs of paint and a dollop of Liquitex acrylic gloss medium.

Decals were a mix from spares but the roundels came from an ancient Revell SPAD. The large 12s came from another Revell W.W. I aircraft, their Nieuport 29. I was chuffed by how they perfectly fit over the speed brakes.

Before I forget, here's the "money shots" (U.S. penny for scale):

While I had this one planned for ages, it only took four days to put it all together and I had a blast the whole time.

This is the second of three planned W.W. I Centenary builds. Next up, the Armée de l'Air.

100 years on, the brave sacrifices made by those who fought in this terrible conflict have not been forgotten.

Aisne-Marne American Cemetery and Memorial:

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 07:45:20 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 01:55:51 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 03:03:57 AM »
Another superb bi-wing build build Brian Brian!
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 05:11:30 AM »
A shame Airfix does not make the leap and offer up an F-86H in 72nd and 48th scale. 

Great work on the Sabre Brian.  I was expecting to a set of Speedy-Spats™ :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 05:20:06 AM »
Age of BTS jet bi-plane has arrived.  Only few of them around.  You are a master at this engineering discipline.
Seeing a high[er] altitude Sabre.  Great build, surprised how well it works.

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 06:43:41 AM »
Awesome

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 06:48:57 AM »
Beautiful and an excellent backstory.  I applaud you, sir!!

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 08:19:40 AM »
Nice job, BdB. Looks great! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."