Author Topic: 1/25 Amtronic and 1/24 Bob  (Read 2793 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
1/25 Amtronic and 1/24 Bob
« on: April 23, 2018, 08:29:53 AM »
I wanted a generic figure for future 1/24 - 1/25 projects, so I built "Bob" from Masterbox's Bob and Sally - The Happy Couple. Minor mods included giving him a modified neck so he could look up and adding a shirt collar. And an Apple watch.
I may revisit him to fix some issues I see in the closeup pictures:

Now for the friggin' AMT Amtronic. This is a classic kit and I remember building it as a kit. I don't remember the atrocious fit, though. I removed the chrome plating (and underlying clear coat) from some of the pieces. Here is where I'm at after weeks of on and off work:

with Bob:

I think my downfall was to add all the working bits. I'm sorely tempted to go tear it apart and fix the doors and wheels either in extended mode or glue the wheels shut and have it in "flight" mode.
I still have to add the removable rear section, which I may just glue to the front section. I'll also try to ficus the camera better.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: 1/25 Amtronic and 1/24 Bob
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 08:32:31 AM »
That's delightful Frank and I'd never have known the figure didn't come like that if you hadn't told me.

I think the car looks fine, but I'd be tempted to build it wheels up and mount it on a central post below so it looks like it's floating.

That vehicle is a great match for the Apple watch. This guy is cutting edge all the way!

Brian da Basher

Offline tankmodeler

• Wisely picking parts of the real universe 2 ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 11:19:52 PM »
That kit certainly is a bear to build. And, between the fit issues and sink marks in exterior surfaces, is a paint to get smooth enough to paint.

I would certainly concur to bin _all_ the working features. Fix the wheels, either up or down, and then you can add things like detailed wheel wells, or brake lines or better controls in the cockpit, stuff that can be seen, Bin the "engine" and opening engine bay concept and clue it all down so you can full the gaps and clean it up without worrying about breaking off bits when sanding the putty!

I've had a couple of these kits and built one as a interplanetary light cargo shuttle by scale-o-rama-ing it to 1/48. I scratch built an entirely new interior for it.

Paul

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 01:56:27 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 10:39:50 AM »
Wow - that looks awesome! I wanted to do a rescale to 1/35, but decided to make it almost OOTB to go with the Masterbox SF figures.  I'll probably rescale it with my other copy of the kit (which may be OOP - prices have gone up).

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 03:16:12 PM »
First rate!  :smiley: :-* :icon_alabanza: