Author Topic: Talos' Profiles - He 100 and He 280  (Read 77461 times)

Offline Talos

• First candidate for the BTS Gulag...
  • It's riveting!
Talos' Profiles - He 100 and He 280
« on: January 29, 2012, 08:45:24 AM »
I've been meaning to do a thread here since the day the site opened, but between spending two weeks in Saudi and not having done much profiling recently, there wasn't much incentive to. I have been doing line art through, so I thought I would post some along with a few of the last TSR.2 profiles I finished a long while ago. Because I mass-uploaded these, I'm only going to be posting thumbnails for the color ones. The rest will get links due to laziness. :P

First up, the five TSRs. Three are some of the first ones I did, updated with better shading and colors. The other two are a rocket-boosted plane for NASA (line art based on the Stratos-4 version) and the two-seater trainer.

Next is an F-111 I have only half-done. I started it ages ago for the F-111 group build, based on line art that Chris provided.

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/3006/ewing.jpg
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/7797/27910046.jpg
http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/7545/73742636.jpg
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/6061/r5experimentaldome.jpg
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/8918/18679744.jpg
http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/3323/ywings.jpg
One of the more recent projects I've been working on is a Y-Wing side view from Star Wars. So far I started the work on the actual fighter, but got most of the line art for the astromechs done. I'm doing most of them, so I have can have variety for the socket in the plane. Here is the R2, R4, and two different R5s, in addition to the beginning of the Y-Wing, as well as an E-Wing side project that's in the very early stages.

Some of the 757s I was working on in the past. I haven't touched them in a while. They still need the basic shading finished and the colors on the Lufthansa retrojet are still off. I've gotten them fixed in a file I can't find at the moment.

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/2116/f8u3.jpg
http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/9669/x01a.jpg

I am going to post the Macross stuff I've been working on in a seperate post in a little bit (there's a lot of it), since that was the main thing I've been getting done recently. To finish this initial post, I have a few aircraft that are in the very early stages. First off is what will be a production F8U-3 once I finish mods to it and fully detail it. The other is a pair of planes I'm drawing for a collaboration with someone else on the board. Eventually I will crosspost a lot of the line art here into the blanks thread, naturally.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 10:38:47 AM by Talos »

Offline Maverick

• Suffers from 'Fat Fingers' and accidentally locks his own thread...
  • Holding Pattern
  • The profile machine!
    • My Photobucket Thread
Re: Talos' Profiles
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 08:50:29 AM »
Most excellent to have you here.  Your TSR.2 pics were particularly nice.

Regards,

John
Regards,

John

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 09:33:50 AM »
Gorgeous work!!  I particularly enjoyed the TSR-2s. 

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 10:21:19 AM »
...They still need the basic shading finished and the colors on the Lufthansa retrojet are still off...

It does look sharp though!   :-*
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Talos

• It's riveting!
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 10:56:51 AM »
Thanks for the replies, guys! Since you all seem to like the TSRs, I thought I would post all the old ones. I was continually improving the profiles, so some of these are pretty ragged (mostly the NASA group shot), but I think you'll like them. I'm posting the backstory for the the Soviet TSR too, since I wrote one up. Anyway, here they are in basically reverse chronological order, starting with the newest one after the five I already posted.

In the late 1970s, a Royal Air Force Eagle GR1 was performing a routine reconnaissance mission over Germany when it was shot down by a surface-to-air missile and crash landed in Kaliningrad, Russia, while the pilot attempted to ditch it into the North Sea. The plane landed nearly intact at Chernyakhovsk and the crew was taken into Soviet custody, only to be released nearly 18 months later in a diplomatic exchange. The wreckage was repaired and transported by train to Ramenskoye where TsAGI disassembled and copied in the aircraft just as had been done before to the B-29 Superfortress, to fill a light, fast nuclear strike and recon aircraft requirement. The aircraft, first dubbed "Ram-S" when discovered by the west, entered service as the Tupolev Tu-30P, the initial recon model. NATO assigned it the reporting name "Fletcher". Several hundred of the initial model were built with Tu-30U trainer (with stepped cockpits), Tu-30M (extensively upgraded airframe, engines, and avionics), and Tu-30PDM (penultimate recon version) increasing that number significantly. At the fall of the Soviet Union, they were still serving in the Soviet Air Force, as well as the Air Forces of most of their allies. The Soviet examples were distributed among all the former Soviet countries when the Air Force was divided. Due to the SALT-II treaty, however, all the nuclear strike Fletcher-A's were converted into Tu-30TP photo-recon craft or assigned to demilitarized roles such as this example, 07 Red, assigned as a chase plane for Roskosmos' operations at Baikonur Cosmodrome and named after Yuri Gagarin, the first human in space.

Offline Talos

• It's riveting!
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 03:07:10 PM »
Almost forgot this He 100 I was working on before. It still needs the wings and armament, but it's proceeding nicely. I included a test fitting I did a while back with the radiator from the Hien, which fit almost perfectly.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 03:21:58 PM »
Glad to see you posting mate.  Great work.

Especially looking forward to what you do with the He100.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Talos

• It's riveting!
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 09:41:27 PM »
Thanks for the welcome, Greg.

Glad you like the He 100. Got some ideas I would like to do with it and maybe a 280 if I can find good sources for it.

...and of course that's when I realize I posted an old version of the He 100 drawing. I had gotten quite a bit done on it since then.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 10:30:51 PM by Talos »

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 01:26:58 AM »
The Hien radiator looks like it belongs there.  Since the Japanese at least evaluated the He-100, this would be perfect for their production version.

Offline Talos

• It's riveting!
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 01:42:35 AM »
That was my thinking too. You can see a little of the Heinkel in the Hien and I thought it fit perfectly. The Hien even tested a variation of the He 100's evaporative cooling system. I'm going to use the numbers difference for that compared to the normal Ki-61 to figure out performance numbers for an operational He 100E with the scoop.

Of course I'll have to do some Japanese schemes...

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 02:01:21 AM »
Can I put in an early request for some Swiss ones too...please....????

Offline Talos

• It's riveting!
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 03:22:48 AM »
Can I put in an early request for some Swiss ones too...please....????

Hmm, possibly. I haven't really researched Swiss AF fighters of that era much, though.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 04:04:42 AM »
Maybe just use the schemes from some of their Bf-109s?

Offline Talos

• It's riveting!
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 04:58:53 AM »

Ah, that would probably work.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 07:03:37 AM »

Or the Morane-Saulnier schemes? The late D-3801 scheme with 'neutrality' stripes and all-white cowling is quite dramatic. And the roughly-applied dappled green over grey scheme on the D-3802 looks almost Japanese.
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline JoseFern

• Has gone by many names...we simply prefer "Genius"
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 08:25:12 PM »
Belated welcome Talos!
I have always found your TSR.2 profiles were very nice.  8)
Looking forward to see more of your work ...

Offline Talos

• It's riveting!
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 11:54:05 PM »
Thanks for the welcome, Jose.

Glad you liked the TSRs. One thing I would like to do sometime is go back and redo the plane with much better detail and shading, since I've learned a lot since then. Also things like ordnance and such.

In the meantime, the He 100 is very nearly done. All it needs now is a gunsight, wingtip formation light, and a few other little odds and ends. Already have the first operational mod halfway done too, an armored glass windscreen like the 109 got early on.

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2012, 05:10:13 AM »
Looking good!!  That looks like a pretty tight cowling, will changes be needed to upgrade from the DB601 to later DB605 and DB603 engines?

While we're talking operational ones, any chance of Italian ones?

Offline Talos

• It's riveting!
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2012, 05:38:20 AM »
Yeah, it is a very tight cowling, but it should be expandable considering the way the engine is mounted to the plane. Fortunately there are no cowl guns, so I don't have to worry about bulges for cannon or MG breeches. 603's a little big for the plane, but a 605 should be doable without too many differences.

Italian ones are possible, yes. I don't have a concrete list as to what exactly I'm going to do.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 05:50:25 AM by Talos »

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2012, 07:43:09 AM »
Enjoyed TSR profiles and background story.
Look forward to more.
Bill

Offline Talos

• It's riveting!
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2012, 07:51:12 AM »
Thanks, Bill. I will end up doing more TSRs in the future

Since the He 100 is almost done, I thought I would post something else I've been working on in relation to it.

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2012, 08:56:56 AM »
Thanks, Bill. I will end up doing more TSRs in the future

Since the He 100 is almost done, I thought I would post something else I've been working on in relation to it.

Would that be a He-280 or derivative thereof?

Offline Talos

• It's riveting!
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2012, 09:01:55 AM »
Would that be a He-280 or derivative thereof?

Could be, yes.  ;)

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2012, 11:50:09 AM »
I may end up needing to help you with that He 100, Talos.  Nudge nudge, wink wink, know what I mean?

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Talos

• It's riveting!
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2012, 11:53:50 AM »
I may end up needing to help you with that He 100, Talos.  Nudge nudge, wink wink, know what I mean?

Cheers,

Logan

I was already planning on that. That's why I've been researching the rivet lines for it too.  ;)

Fortunately there's only a few more small things to do before I finish the basic line art and set it up for you.