Author Topic: Werner Schröer's He 100D-2 Trop Build Thread - JG 27 'Afrika'  (Read 7157 times)

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
Werner Schröer's He 100D-2 Trop Build Thread - JG 27 'Afrika'
« on: November 14, 2012, 11:34:57 AM »
Here's my second finished entry for this GB, Werner Schröer's Heinkel He 100D-2 Trop, WNr 4170 'White 11' as it appeared on 21 April, 1941.  Notice the Trop filter on the wing that Talos made for this profile.  Click on the image to view it at 100%.

Werner Schröer was an excellent fighter leader and one of the few 'Experten' to serve throughout the entire war and survive.  Born on 12 December 1918, he joined the Luftwaffe in 1937 as a groundcrew member.  By May 1940 he had soloed, and he joined 2./JG 27 in August 1940 but did not see action during the Battle of Britain.  Schröer was to find his greatest fame with JG 27 as they moved south to join Rommel's Afrika Korps.  He claimed his first victory, an RAF Hurricane, on 19 April 1941 but his own aircraft was heavily damaged in the engagement.  Two days later, he again entered combat with Hurricanes and collided with one in the fight which ensued; this necessitated a forced landing at Ain-El-Gazala with his He 100D-2 Trop, WNr 4170 'White 11' incurring 40% damage.  By the end of 1941 his score stood at seven.  Schröer went on to achieve 114 victories, and finished the war as Kommodore of JG 3 'Udet'.  Schröer was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves and Swords.  Werner Schröer was arguably the greatest pilot of the Mediterranean theatre after the inimitable Hans-Joachim Marseille.  He passed away in Munich on 10 February 1985.

This profile depicts Schröer's Heinkel He 100D-2 Trop, WNr 4170 'White 11' as it appeared on 21 April, 1941.  It is believed that this aircraft was re-camouflaged in Sicily and that for early desert schemes such as this, which first appeared as early as April 1941, stocks of Italian paints were used. Note the weathered, dirty white outline to the fuselage cross compared to the new white of the fuselage band and code number, indicating that the aircraft had seen some service before the desert camouflage and band were applied.

Here's an alternate take on the profile with a tail camouflage that more closely matches the 109 schemes seen at the time.  Aesthetically, I don't like it quite as much as the first one that I posted, but what do you guys think?

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
Re: Werner Schröer's He 100D-2 Trop Build Thread - JG 27 'Afrika'
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 01:02:49 PM »
Here's the "build thread" for the JG 27 Afrika Heinkel He 100 entry for the Clear Your Bench GB.

It actually started 10 days before the Condor Legion aircraft.  It was kind of like the KMS Graf Zeppelin of profiles--I had it about 90% finished when I decided to start on the Condor Legion while I waited for Talos to finish up the Trop filter for it.  By the time he finished it, I didn't have the time to incorporate it into the finished profile!  I finally got the chance to finish it last night and tonight, almost 6 weeks later!

This was the first WIP, just a modification of the Galland profile.  It's mostly German colors before I realized that the first German aircraft to be painted in desert colors were actually done with Italian paint.

Here we see the colors and markings settled in a little better.  It's actually pretty close to the finished product.

Add in some mottle.  If I recall correctly, I used basically this method to do the mottling.

I fixed the markings and colors a bit here.

Fixed the elevator shadow per helischmidt's advice on the Simmers Paint Shop Forums.

Did some last minute edits to the camouflage on the wing root and (most importantly) added the Trop filter.  Wouldn't want sand in our engine, would we?

I hope everyone liked this one.  I think it's pretty attractive, actually.  The mottling and Italian paint colors really make it look sharp.  I think it looks better in this scheme than the Bf 109.

Let me know if there are any questions about any stage of the process.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 07:01:10 AM »
Nice work, Mr Harke! Love your take on the old "sand and spinach"!

Brian da Basher

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 11:15:32 PM »
In plastic that would cause so many double takes!!  :)

Do you think you do some Russian front machines? Lotta cool camo and markings to be seen on the eastern front  O0
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Talos

• First candidate for the BTS Gulag...
  • It's riveting!
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 07:22:46 AM »
In plastic that would cause so many double takes!!  :)

Do you think you do some Russian front machines? Lotta cool camo and markings to be seen on the eastern front  O0

Keep watching.  ;)

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 06:52:50 AM »
Nice work, Mr Harke! Love your take on the old "sand and spinach"!

Thanks, Brian!  I really like how this one turned out!  I think it's got to be one of my personal favorites.

As Talos indicated, yes, we eventually do.

Cheers,

Logan