Author Topic: Logan's Profiles - SdKfz 231 Halbkettenfahrzeug  (Read 180848 times)

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
Re: Logan's Profiles - Marseille's He 100 in plastic
« Reply #795 on: July 18, 2017, 03:02:46 PM »
Quite enjoy Forgotten Guns, particularly because it leaves out the gung ho BS of some other channels.

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #796 on: July 18, 2017, 10:36:46 PM »
In that case, check out C&Rsenal.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #797 on: July 18, 2017, 10:51:17 PM »
Thanks will do.

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
Re: Logan's Profiles - SdKfz 231 Halbkettenfahrzeug
« Reply #798 on: April 11, 2018, 01:56:38 PM »
I know I haven't been around much, lately, but I recently stumbled across this image on DeviantArt and I thought the idea of an SdKfz 231 halftrack conversion was inspired. The problem was the track system used on the concept, though. It's a Citroën-Kégresse style rubber band track system with a Timken suspension, as used on the American T9E1 halftrack truck converted by Marmon-Herrington. Better choices would have been something like the German halftrack suspensions used on the SdKfz 250 or Maultier.

So, I decided to make a couple of better-looking and more practical alternatives using some images from Tanks Encyclopedia as a starting basis. Normally I'm working with original high-resolution images from line art and am not used to just modifying existing images this way. This is really more up Apophenia's alley. As such, I decided to blatantly rip his presentation style since I was in a thoroughly derivative mode already. Anyway, hopefully you guys enjoy what I cobbled together tonight.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline BigH827

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Re: Logan's Profiles - SdKfz 231 Halbkettenfahrzeug
« Reply #799 on: July 13, 2018, 09:49:20 AM »
Those are both nice, but I think the Germans would have gone with the track system of 250 half-track.
But if what your going for is what would they do after 1940 to keep these armored cars useable, then your idea works. The Panzer 1 was on its last legs in 41, so it's running gear as did happen with the Opel Mule, would be put to other uses.
The six wheeled cars did weigh much more than the Panzer 1. So no real extra stress on the roadwheels and tracks.
We are the Borg. Your species will adapt to.....Squarel!