Author Topic: Argentine Jaguar... at sea  (Read 9216 times)

Offline scorchio

• Does the odd profile
Argentine Jaguar... at sea
« on: May 13, 2012, 03:58:06 AM »
This is the first new profile I've made in months - the Falklands War was a more than worthy source of inspiration to get my arse into gear.

The idea for this profile initially started out as a Royal Navy version of the Jaguar M (to be called Jaguar SB.3), hence it has the 'chisel' nose of a Jaguar GR.1 housing the Ferranti ARI23231 LRMTS, with the addition of some long, 'elegant' landing gear. However, after completing the line drawing I considered the implications of Jaguar M having come into service, and there being no Super Étendard on the Argentine side during the war - I made a decision to switch sides.

For the time being, the LRMTS nose remains: It was the usual spec of export Jaguars though, so doesn't seem too daft a change for an exported Jaguar M. However I'm not sure how effective it would be in a maritime environment.

I may do an alteration (i.e. upgraded version) with an Agave radar fitted in the nose, like India's Jaguar IM and the Super Étendard itself - for carrying Exocet. As such, the colour scheme for the 'original' spec is based on older COAN Skyhawks, rather than the Étendard's 'Gris Bleu Fonce' that will be on the version with radar.

Cropped pic at full res to show detail:

I still need to do a fair amount of tweaking, and the inside of the cockpit still needs detailing, so updates will be made before the end of the GB - such as attempts at the radar-equipped version (can't have the Falklands War without Exocets can we?). I'm going away for a few days though, so thought it'd be worth posting now to generate some comments and interest 8)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Argentine Jaguar... at sea
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 09:52:41 AM »
Outstanding!!!
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Wulf

• Does a lot of real world stuff..the deviant!!!
  • i reject your reality and substitute my own
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 05:18:16 AM »
Outstanding!!!

wot he said! ^^^^^^

very nice indeed
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel!

Offline Doom!

• Slayer of pixels and plastic!
  • Glad to be here!
    • Doom Island 2
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 05:49:54 AM »
Very nice indeed!  :)
Doom!
Jeff G.

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 10:34:19 PM »
That's lovely, scorchio!  Very well done!  I love the detail.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Litvyak

• Shifting between quantum realities...
  • Althistorian & profiler...& the 1st lady of whiff
    • Dominion of British Columbia
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 12:17:24 AM »
Uh... wow. O_O
"God save our Queen and heaven bless the Maple Leaf forever!"

Dominion of BC - https://dominionofbc.miraheze.org/wiki/British_Columbia

"Bernard, this doesn't say anything!" "Why thank you, Prime Minister."

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 08:41:53 PM »
Cool!

Offline Jeremak

• Couch mastermind
  • One-person Alternate History Liberation Front
    • My DA: profiles respository, and more...
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 08:56:03 PM »
Incredible. maybe later you will make other "non-Falkland" Jaguars?

Offline scorchio

• Does the odd profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 03:50:10 AM »
Thanks for the comments! Was great to read them after the long drive home from a few days in East Anglia.

Incredible. maybe later you will make other "non-Falkland" Jaguars?

Yea, no doubt - I'll have to start a thread in the P&P board to post them, with some of my old stuff in there too. Without getting too OT; I've already considered schemes for the Indian, Brazilian, Australian and perhaps Canadian navies, given that they operated carriers at points through the 70 and 80s.

If necessary though, I might remove the arrestor hook and landing gear, mark out the lines for the rear gear bays and add the normal fin for a Jaguar S/Jaguar IM (and rotate the whole thing so it's parallel to the horizon obviously) to do schemes for some non-naval powers.

Offline scorchio

• Does the odd profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 08:37:09 PM »
Right, I think I'm finished for the time being:

The first profile represent the Argentine version of the Jaguar SM as it was delivered to Comando de Aviación Naval Argentina in 1973 through to 1977. The type was eventually operated from ARA 25 de Mayo by both 2da and 3ra Escuadrilla Aeronaval de Caza y Ataque after transferring their A-4Q Skyhawks to Fuerza Aérea Argentina, following the 1977 US embargo on spares.

COAN experienced difficulties in using the adapted avionics fit from the Jaguar S in a maritime environment, both in terms of navigation and in attacking targets at sea in poor weather. In 1980, Argentina approached Dassault-Breguet to refit EA32's aircraft (approximately half of their Jaguars) with a Thomson-CSF 'Agave' attack radar, while EA33 was to be disbanded and the remaining Jaguar ASMs transferred to land-based operations with 1ra Escuadrilla Aeronaval de Ataque (EA41), providing CAS to Argentina's marines.

By late 1981, COAN had taken delivery of its first upgraded 'Jaguar ARM' aircraft with Agave fitted, and began the process of training pilots to operate the new radar and the Exocet missiles that had been ordered with the upgraded aircraft.

During the 1982 Falklands war, the STOL performance and high launch angle of the Jaguar M's front landing gear allowed EA41 to operate from the short runway at Port Stanley to devastating effect. This particular aircraft successfully shot down a British, Westland Scout helicopter with its DEFA cannon and caused significant damage to the supply ship RFA Fort Austin with a Mk.82 bomb.

In spite of the limited experience of EA32's pilots in operating the Exocet/Agave radar combination, Argentina's Jaguar ARMs conducted several successful attacks on British shipping using the missile - including the sinking of MV Atlantic Conveyor. The unit's experience with the previous Jaguar ASM model however, gave the pilots great confidence in attacking sea-borne targets with cannons and other unguided weapons.

For giggles, here's a pic of how the RN Jaguar SB.3 profile I originally envisaged, looks:

However, I wont be submitting that British one as part of the GB. Any comments on the profiles or back story for Argentina's Jaguars would be appreciated. ;)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 09:02:47 PM by scorchio »

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 09:59:43 PM »
Those look great, scorchio!  Well done!

Cheers,

Logan

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 01:30:35 AM »
Extremely well done!
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline JP Vieira

• The Challenge Master!!!
    • What-If World
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 12:58:54 AM »
Amazing work; keep them coming ;)

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 04:37:13 AM »
Those certainly would have made beefed up the old Venticinco.  Nice job all around!  I've got a soft spot for the last two.  The backgrounds are a nice touch 8)
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous