Author Topic: dy031101's Mental Notes  (Read 129551 times)

Offline john_matthews129

• Has an unnatural phondness for Phantoms...
    • Matthews Aviation Art
Re: dy031101's Mental Notes
« Reply #435 on: October 03, 2017, 07:34:29 AM »
Are you going to be modeling the ships, too?  I thought that was some first-rate 3D modeling on the tank.   :smiley:
Fly?  Yes.  Land?  No.

Please visit me at https://onetwentynineblog.wordpress.com/ and  at https://www.zazzle.com/matthews_aero_art

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
« Reply #436 on: October 10, 2017, 11:18:42 AM »
Some interesting stuff Dy

Now that the Mi-4 gets filed into the "cute" category...... I'm running out of evil helicopters.  ;D

Are you going to be modeling the ships, too?  I thought that was some first-rate 3D modeling on the tank.   :smiley:

Which reminds me to finish the rest of the tank's variants......  :-X  So many holes I've dug for myself- gotta start filling 'em some time......

Unfortunately, the level of details ship models would require is currently outside of what I can efficiently accomplish during free time.  :-X
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 01:37:03 AM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline dy031101

« Reply #437 on: November 17, 2017, 05:52:13 AM »

This minor IWCF member navy warship started out as a 70-and-some years old design and went through two major reconstructions- the first one granted a variable-depth sonar, some ahead-throwing anti-submarine mortars and torpedoes, and a submarine-killer drone helicopter facility at the cost of her anti-ship torpedoes and most of her guns whereas the second one rehabilitated her engines and gave her a modern combat data system, an automatic naval gun more suitable against smaller surface combatants and aircraft, anti-ship missiles, and improved accommodations for her complement.

The drone helicopter was quickly phased out due to a lack of spares and succeeded by an Ultra-Light tip-jet rotor helicopter, which has remained in service to this day due to a politically-motivated difficulty in procuring a more-modern replacement.  Like the drone it replaced, the Ultra-Light can carry a single torpedo.

So far the latest upgrade came soon after the operator country of this ship joined the Coalition forces in the form of a Strales 76mm gun acquired from the Armies of Frontier Nations' homeworld in an effort to improve defenses against high-speed, high-mobility aerial threats.

===========================================================================================

(This ship is essentially a Taiwanese-style reconstruction done to a FRAM II Fletcher class destroyer.)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 06:37:39 AM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline dy031101

« Reply #438 on: November 28, 2017, 06:26:14 AM »

This class of helicopter cruisers, operated by the mysterious military force currently suspected by some within the FN Intelligence Corps to be the outgrowth of the lost remnants of the ill-fated Frontier Navy 11th Fleet, are often seen leading surface actions groups comprised of ASW ships in their war against the League of Kings.  Their anti-aircraft warfare suite, outside of having more vertical launch modules (for a total of 80 cells), is broadly identical to the Sea Viper missile system with the SAMPSON and S1850M radar combination used by the Type 45 destroyers on the Frontier Navy's homeworld.  This outfit lends itself well to the common situation of these surface action groups- that most of their constituent ships do not have sufficient air defense capability to survive anything more than occasional aerial harassments and therefore require protections offered by dedicated fleet defense assets.

Other onboard armaments include two quad MM40 anti-ship missile launchers, one twin 128mm L/61 guns, eight twin 55mm L/77 automatic guns, and four 25mm chain guns.  These cruisers are known to have operated up to nine Panther helicopters each although they clearly have ample rooms to embark larger helicopters instead.  Between missions the helicopters are sheltered and serviced in a below-deck hangar.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 08:37:02 AM by dy031101 »

Offline dy031101

« Reply #439 on: January 01, 2018, 01:56:01 PM »
Happy New Year, everyone.

Something quick and dirty this time, because I came across this picture & I could not make sense out of those BBs getting reverted to their WWII configuration, and because I want to see SeaRAMs on an Iowa:

According to what I heard about some 1990s plan to equip Iowa class BBs with Mk.41 launchers, the aft Tomahawk ABL positions apparently have enough room for two 32-cell Mk.41 launchers.  Also, the 5-inch gun turrets are refitted with 5"/54 Mark 16 guns.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 02:00:48 AM by dy031101 »

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #440 on: January 01, 2018, 10:09:10 PM »
You could probably replace some or all of the original 20 5" twins with 16 VLS cells each.  Maybe the middle three on each beam with the furthest fore and aft being replaced with Mk-45 5" or even Mk-75 3" giving the ship 96 strategic length Mk-41 VLS and four modern medium calibre guns with space and weight to spare for CS upgrades.  Mk-48 VLS could be fitted in various locations, maybe even Danish Flex modules could be used with a number of the old 40mm tubs being converted into FLEX slots.

Offline dy031101

« Reply #441 on: January 02, 2018, 02:44:43 AM »
You could probably replace some or all of the original 20 5" twins with 16 VLS cells each.

I do not realize that the twin 5-inch turrets occupy that much space......

Maybe the middle three on each beam with the furthest fore and aft being replaced with Mk-45 5" or even Mk-75 3"......

I was originally gonna let the whole thing go and settle on merely thinking "that's ain't what a reactivated Iowa is gonna look like"...... but I really wanted to see SeaRAMs on an Iowa  ;D

It is said that the Mk.16 is essentially a longer version of the Mk.12, so I refitted the 5-inch gun turrets under the assumption that the refit would be relatively straightforward and quick, which would be conducive to the scenario conveyed by the anime picture that I linked to- wartime activation rather than merely force level maintenance (although, if they are still available, scrounging the remaining ammo stockpile for the 5"/38 remains conceptually the simplest)- but then I went for the VLS installation......

I'm not an expert, so I don't know if the twin 5-inch turrets can be outright replaced with the Mk.45 mounts as well within the time it would take to modify the aft superstructure to accommodate the Mk.41 modules.

Also, my current choice of fire control systems do not support Sea Sparrow missiles although conceivably I can replace two of the SPG-60 with Mk.92 "eggs".
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 04:06:22 AM by dy031101 »

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #442 on: January 02, 2018, 10:33:49 AM »
Tartar and its Mk11 and 13 GMLS was designed to slot into the space occupied by a 5" twin, where you can fit a Mk-13 you can easily fit two 8cell Mk-41s.

The later Mk-26 is an even simpler swap with the 24 round version having the same volume as a 29/32 cell Mk-41 and the 44 round the same as the 61/64cell.

Offline dy031101

« Reply #443 on: January 04, 2018, 02:08:41 PM »

Second attempt at a modified Long Beach; aside from directly replacing SPS-32/33 with SPY-1 and a SeaRAM launcher that's there to somehow make up for the ship's otherwise lack of a point-defense missile system, this ship has a PAC-2 GEM/T launcher for BMD role (it's a class below the SM-3,it's a class below the SM-3, with an effective altitude comparable to that of the SM-2ER Block III, but I am also under the impression that the SM-2ER Block III might not be sufficiently optimized as an ABM).

I think this one needs more work but don't know where to carry on- any suggestion for improvement will be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 08:42:39 AM by dy031101 »