Author Topic: The Mohicans (1/35)  (Read 1161 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
The Mohicans (1/35)
« on: December 27, 2023, 10:25:27 AM »
I recently bought the Masterbox "Indian Wars Series, XVIII century. The Mohicans" kit:

I liked the figure poses; they look useful for all sorts of scenarios, including post-apocalyptic. The rifles and some of the gear look more like 19th Century than 18th, but it didn't bother me.
The Mohican figure made me laugh, and I decided to build him first. In most figure kits - if the subject is German - there's always one figure pointing into the distance. Maybe Herr Mohican is pointing at the mystical town of Bielefeld.

Masterbox kits can vary in quality - even on the same sprue. Some parts are well detailed, others less so. Some figures, (especially of women) are grossly out of proportion and size. Luckily, this kit is mostly OK. The Mohican's head had a seam going across his head and the ears were just lumps, so I replaed it with a Warriors bald resin head. Here are the two heads side by side. The replacement head looks a bit like David Carradine:

The front of the hair is Procreate resin putty. The pattern on the shirt is just a decal applied over a light blue background.
Despite the head issue, I finished the figure quickly, so I decided to build the other two. Here they are, almost finished. The guy on the right had his left hand (with a pipe) replaced by a resin hand. The Mohican's right hand is also a resin replacement, since I mangled the original while trimming off the flash:

The scarf on the middle guy is using the same decal pattern as the Mohican.

I've been experimenting with bases, so I cut down one of by foam board test bases and added a few rocks. The rifles in this kit are a little soft on details and are not glued in place, The guy in the middle is supposed to be drinking from a canteen, but I decided not to add it. He looks like he's having an animated conversation with his buddy:

I could have added decals for some of the other details, but I wanted this to be a quick build. Overall, there were few issues. I had to undercut the clothing a bit, but that's standard fare with most styrene figures.

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
Re: The Mohicans (1/35)
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2023, 11:44:53 AM »
Very nice work! Way better than I could ever do.
My only question is with the manufacturer who included two European characters and only one who could be called a Mohican. Just strange.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2023, 01:35:20 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2023, 04:10:16 AM »
I think they just made up the title and added figures from roughly that period. Maybe the two other guys are Mohican equivalents of Weeaboos

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2023, 02:58:53 PM »
Maybe he's James Fenimore Cooper's "Last of the Mohicans"? ???
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2023, 03:58:26 PM »
Or just drop the last "S" in the title.

Nice work though. The subtle mod on the actual guy who looks like a native works very well.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2023, 12:39:51 AM »
Thanks Brian. I need to work on skin tones, especially darker ones. Like many Masterbox figures, the body parts are somewhat interchangeable with little or no mods.

I think my base came out OK, even though i spent less than 10 minutes on it.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2023, 08:53:18 AM »
This is looking fantastic Frank! And your '10-minute base' is an amazing result  :smiley:

... Mohican equivalents of Weeaboos

Had to look that one up  ;D
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2024, 01:40:29 AM »
Nicely done, even for a quick build, there are some really nice details and modifications here.

Definitely need to add this set to the collection.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2024, 03:20:43 AM »
I gave the Mohican an AK47 and one of the other guys a shotgun and they look like they're ready to combat the Zombie Deer Disease

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2024, 03:45:48 AM »
I remember becoming aware of the Johnson M1941 rifle as a child, when some grandfatherly Native American/Indian actor was toting one around in the wilds - damned if I can recall the name of the movie or actor, but I'd know him if I saw him and IMFDB was of no help.

Back to Frank's tangential, they'd probably look like the Oka Mohawk standoff of 1990.

https://mashable.com/feature/oka-crisis

From what I remember being told at the time, the Mohawk warriors had been getting their guerilla training in prior to that by joining the French & Indian War reenactors up there (replace SKS /AK w flintlocks)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 03:48:17 AM by Story »

Online Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2024, 07:15:57 AM »
 Neat looking vignette, Frank-and Happy New Year!