Modelling > 2018 Clear your workbench GB

Caudron Simoun resurrected

<< < (2/5) > >>

Robomog:
Completing The Build

Back to modelling at last and had a good start, I managed to get a coat of black on the Caudron without any streaks, result !

But now to the split canopy, assembled it using Clearfix along with the control panel and discovered one of the sprue attachments was at the front of the windscreen (thanks Heller !), I managed to buff most of it out and will hide the rest under a slightly wider painted frame. 

The preliminary fixing showing the sprue marks........

by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

I did a trial fit and a bit of adjustment but I must have been on another planet at the time because after painting the canopy and sticking it on it was decidedly narrower than the fuselage. Pulling the edges out only caused it to bow in the middle, then it fell apart, Clearfix is good for fixing transparencies but it does not have the strength of polystyrene cement.

There followed a sequence of fitting/not fitting/falling apart, reverted to poly cement, and in my growing frustration made a rookie mistake and got glue on the canopy.... aaaaaargh!

Two photos of the canopy showing the poor fit of the canopy, and  the glue smudge, it looks like a bullet hole.......

by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

Took a few deep breaths, stepped back, apologised to Claude the cat for the startling him from his slumber on top of my parts drawers and the bad language.
Start again....

Took the canopy off and inserted a thin piece of card to make it fit better then put it in the drawer and got on with something else while it dried properly.

by Robomog, on Flickr

Returning to the canopy the next night I had another trial fit and it was about as good as I was going to get, it was ok  at the sides, close enough at the front but slightly raised on top, careful sanding (very careful.....) got the edges flush. Yay !

And now to the glue stain, I was tempted to tint the windows Brian the Basher stylie but decided to try and buff it out first. Started by chipping some of it away with a sharp knife then followed up with good old toothpaste rubbed in with a cotton bud. Started seeing some improvement after an hour of buffing but it was very slow.  To speed things up a bit I cut a cotton bud in two and fitted it into a battery operated nail polisher, by the end of the night the glue stain was all but gone.

After finally gluing the canopy in place and touching up the paint work I let it dry for a while then fitted the wheels.

Successful clean up ! ...........

by Robomog, on Flickr

And the wheels are on.......

by Robomog, on Flickr

The decals are next ..........

Mog
>^-.-^<

Brian da Basher:
That was an outstanding save on the windscreen, Mog!

If I had a cuss jar I'd be flat broke, especially while at the bench.

Brian da Basher

finsrin:
An inspirational account of overcoming plastic adversity.
Proof windscreen glue can be overcome with diligence and skill. :smiley:

Frank3k:
I like the black and red. Good save on the canopy!

tankmodeler:
Nice job on the canopy. To get more of the clarity back you can add a thin layer of Future. I can almost guarantee that will improve things loads.

Paul

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version