Author Topic: Korean war centurion  (Read 5216 times)

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
Korean war centurion
« on: June 16, 2018, 09:26:35 PM »
British Korean war Centurion with Australian infantry

Based incredibly loosely on this photo
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 05:48:09 PM by Camthalion »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: Korean war centurion WIP
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 09:28:04 PM »
Looks like you're off to a grand start!

I think you captured the essence of that historic photo rather well.

Will enjoy following your progress,

Brian da Basher

Online Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 09:52:05 AM »
Like it, what kit are you using ?

I have recently completed a full on conversion for the AFV club Mk 5 back to a Korean Mk III using the now defunct Inside the Armour conversion set with turret and early stowage bins. My build started with the AFV club Dozer tanks which nicely has a lot of the stuff needed for this outside of the turret and bins.

Offline Camthalion

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 10:14:09 AM »
Thanks fellas. 
I am usung the Tamiya mk3.  Finally found it at a reasonable price on ebay.  The Aussie infantry are Miniart British tank riders with hornet heads   I built the afv club one a long time ago, one of the first 1/35 models I ever built.  I have another one in the stash to build later.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 10:17:29 AM by Camthalion »

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 06:35:50 PM »
Love this idea of tank riders. :-*

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 09:50:44 PM »
Good start! 8)

Looking forward to this one coming together. :smiley:

( :-[ Maybe it'll inspire me to finish a few of my stalled builds. :icon_crap: )
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Camthalion

Re: Korean war centurion
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2019, 06:59:16 AM »
That took a while, but finally calling this one finished.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2019, 07:57:30 AM »
I think this one is some of your best work yet, Cam!

The weathering is superbly subtle and you've really brought those figures to life!

This would turn heads at any show worthy of the name.

Well done, very well done indeed!

Brian da Basher

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2019, 10:21:41 PM »
Ni-ice! 8)

Not as crowded as the one in the photo but very good work! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2019, 12:21:20 PM »
 :smiley:

Offline Camthalion

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2019, 05:49:35 PM »
Thanks Fellas

Ni-ice! 8)

Not as crowded as the one in the photo but very good work! :smiley:
Yeah.  that's what the budget allowed with both Kids at Uni  :)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2019, 09:38:12 PM »
Know the feeling, Brother! ::)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2019, 01:30:07 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2019, 01:35:25 AM »
This came out great! Both the tanks and figures came out well. The engine deck might be a cozy spot during the winter!

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2019, 07:34:53 AM »
The tank looks excellent.  The figures?  Well, many of them have their puggaree (the seven folded hat band) incorrect.  Some of them have the side of their slouch hat folded, not rolled up on the left side of their heads.   Rarely do diggers wear their slouch hat rolled up when in the field - it exposes the left side of their head to the elements.   Having worn a slouch hat or as I prefer it, the official name - the Hat, K.F.F. (Khaki, Fur Felt) for several years and having looked at pictures of diggers from the Boer War to post-Vietnam it is now how it was and is worn.   The British Army and Hollywood is the only places that fold their hats, rather than roll them.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 09:16:57 AM by Rickshaw »

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2019, 04:57:55 AM »
That's some interesting info, Mr Rickshaw and certainly edifying to those of us who never served in the Australian Army.

However, it seems to me Cam did an outstanding job of recreating that photo with a bit of artistic license and some of the blokes in it do have their hat brims pinned up. Goodness knows if this was done just for the photo but it's iconic and captured most faithfully by the model.

Brian da Basher

Offline Camthalion

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2019, 06:37:41 PM »
The hat brims turned up is more an economic thing.  That is how the heads come molded.  I used what ever ones weren't turned up first, but can't afford to buy twice as many head packs to throw half of them away.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2019, 09:25:13 PM »
What rickshaw is referring to is the (official) Australian method of folding the brim, whereby the left side is brought up to be clipped onto the side of the crown of the hat lower than that of other nationalities, this creates a curve from where the brim contacts the base of the crown to where it is clipped to the side of the crown.

Australian (WW1 - my grandfather ca.1916)

British & other nationalities' folds tended to be folded at a sharp angle at the base of the brim;

German (PNG WW1)

British (WW2)

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2019, 09:22:29 AM »
The hat brims turned up is more an economic thing.  That is how the heads come molded.  I used what ever ones weren't turned up first, but can't afford to buy twice as many head packs to throw half of them away.

Oh, I understand that.  I was just making clear it is incorrect, that is all.   I'm a bit of pedant in that regard.  I served for 10 years and so know the dress manual pretty well.  I only got bolloxed once for wearing my Slouch Hat incorrectly, so I know how it should be done.   I've blocked hundreds of them for other diggers over years and I've taught them the correct way to wear them as well.   Always on the left side goes the roll and the hat strap always has the buckle by the left corner of the mouth.  When they re-introduced the Slouch Hat for field wear IIRC 1983, it was what I always wore on exercise.   It provides unparalleled protection against the sun and the rain.

Offline Camthalion

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2019, 09:42:24 AM »

Oh, I understand that.  I was just making clear it is incorrect, that is all.   I'm a bit of pedant in that regard.  I served for 10 years and so know the dress manual pretty well.  I only got bolloxed once for wearing my Slouch Hat incorrectly, so I know how it should be done.   I've blocked hundreds of them for other diggers over years and I've taught them the correct way to wear them as well.   Always on the left side goes the roll and the hat strap always has the buckle by the left corner of the mouth.  When they re-introduced the Slouch Hat for field wear IIRC 1983, it was what I always wore on exercise.   It provides unparalleled protection against the sun and the rain.

You mentioned it when I made the sherman carrying Australian troops as well, which is why I used what ever non turned up ones I could get on this one, but some still some incorrect had to be used. 

Well at least until my kids are out of Uni anyway.  :D 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 09:44:46 AM by Camthalion »