Author Topic: Grumman Gryphon-cat  (Read 8674 times)

Offline Acree

• That will teach you to frustrate the powers that be...won't it comrade?
  • Sentenced to time in the BTS Gulag...
Grumman Gryphon-cat
« on: June 15, 2016, 02:33:00 PM »
Just a quick response to the idea of a re-engined F7F found here: http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=6438.15.  Though I thought a Griffon would be sexier looking (though perhaps less beastly effective) than an R-3350s or R-4360s.  Anyway, just quick and fun...

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Grumman Gryphon-cat
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 03:17:18 PM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 06:31:32 PM »
Our friend ericr would love these colours...

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 05:28:45 AM »
Sleek and elegant, I like it!

....it's almost as if you guys know I've been trying to resist buying more models...
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline Acree

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 07:08:28 AM »
You may be safe... I just checked (for my own purposes) and there don't seem to be many (read: any) F7F kits out there right now. 

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 08:21:49 AM »
Acree, you sketch looks great  :) but just a suggestion. The Griffon nacelle arrangement for the Spitfire is a bit small for a F7F, might I suggest using the nacelle from a Firefly instead  ---  it's a bit bigger in dimensions so would fit the F7F nacelle better

like this below (the nearside nacelle in this photo)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 08:24:57 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline Acree

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 08:37:35 AM »
I'll give that a try when I have time.  Is that nacelle from a Firefly Mk 5?

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 08:43:40 AM »
Yup! from the Airfix Mk.V. Just happens to fit the F-82 quite well too --
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 08:46:04 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline Acree

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 03:40:53 PM »
OK, here's the Gryphon-cat with the Firefly V engine installation.

The second profile shows a more-radically modified racer, with clipped wings, small bubble canopy and new swept vertical tail.  Enjoy!

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2016, 07:53:31 AM »
There you go   :) :) :) :) :) :)  lovely.  Just another couple of comments, first one, you don't need the air intake under the cowling, the air intake is just behind the spinner which also feeds air to the supercharger intercooler ( you can just see it in the pic of the F-82) and second, now you need some radiators   ;) The F-82 already has radiator ducts in place, I think your Gryphon-cat would need leading edge radiators in between the nacelles and fuselage.

You could go as far as using counter rotating Sea Fury props  (they're about the same diameter as the R-2800 props the Tigercat uses)

like theses ----  although I'm building 'contra-rotating' props here

« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 08:03:46 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline Acree

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2016, 12:27:57 PM »
OK, Kit, here's my final shot at it...

Superfluous scoop removed, leading-edge radiators installed (DH Hornet-style).  Five-bladed, counter-rotating props installed, but from Seafire, not Sea Fury.  I also made a few minor detail changes to the Super Gryphon-Cat modified version. 

I doubt if I'll try this in plastic because I can't find an F7F kit AND the cost would be very high, needing two Firefly donors...  Would be fun, though!

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2016, 01:03:10 PM »
From "beautiful", turning "very beautiful"... :-*

Offline perttime

• The man has produced a Finnish Napier Heston Fighter...need we say more?
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2016, 04:56:17 PM »
Looks good. I think the slimmer engines improve pilot's visibility too.

A low but long bubble canopy would surely look good too: like the Rare Bear has.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2016, 07:54:03 PM »

I doubt if I'll try this in plastic because I can't find an F7F kit AND the cost would be very high, needing two Firefly donors...

Yes, definitely looking very nice  ----  might even give it a shot in plastic myself.  And I just happen to be dropping the Firefly cowling into rubber as I have a couple of projects in mind for them  --------- I could end up with a few extras ---  ;)

Offline Acree

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2016, 12:11:09 PM »
Kit, if you happen to accidentally make a few extras, I'd gladly pay the cost of materials plus a few hundred miles' postage southward...  ;)

Since Perttime requested a "RareBear-like canopy," how about we go one step further and make The Gryphon-cat a stablemate of RareBear, known as ScatCat?  Here she is with a new canopy, and paint job, and I think she looks WAY better.  What do you think?

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2016, 12:37:24 PM »
Oh yeah!! :)

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2016, 02:48:02 PM »
I couldn't help thinking of Shackleton props and cowlings.

Offline Acree

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2016, 02:58:56 PM »
I don't know - those big chin radiators just don't say "air racer" to me - maybe 'cause I'm not English?  I'll try it out in a coupe of days and see. 

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2016, 07:46:06 PM »
I don't know - those big chin radiators just don't say "air racer" to me - maybe 'cause I'm not English?  I'll try it out in a coupe of days and see.

I know what you're saying there Acree, but they're actually quite efficient drag wise and would solve where to put the radiators.  Interesting aside but connected to your comment.
I read an article a few years ago in one of my Air-Britain quarterlies, it was about some air tests on a Mosquito which had been fitted with Lancaster nacelles. The Air Ministry had wanted to standardize engine packages so had instructed De Havilland to install them on a Mosquito, with the original leading edge radiator openings closed off using a section of leading edge shape.  To the amazement of everyone involved, the Mosquito was only about 3 mph slower than a standard Mosquito. However, De Havilland was having none of it ---

Mind you there was this design, which was one of the fastest piston-engined aircraft of the time -
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 07:49:54 PM by kitnut617 »

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2016, 08:12:55 PM »
Kit, if you happen to accidentally make a few extras, I'd gladly pay the cost of materials plus a few hundred miles' postage southward...  ;)

They would be in 1/72 scale ---

Online The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2016, 08:15:54 PM »

I know what you're saying there Acree, but they're actually quite efficient drag wise and would solve where to put the radiators.  Interesting aside but connected to your comment.
I read an article a few years ago in one of my Air-Britain quarterlies, it was about some air tests on a Mosquito which had been fitted with Lancaster nacelles. The Air Ministry had wanted to standardize engine packages so had instructed De Havilland to install them on a Mosquito, with the original leading edge radiator openings closed off using a section of leading edge shape.  To the amazement of everyone involved, the Mosquito was only about 3 mph slower than a standard Mosquito. However, De Havilland was having none of it ---

Mind you there was this design, which was one of the fastest piston-engined aircraft of the time -

Or the XP-72.

From the Wikipedia page (subject to verification):

Note: Test pilot Tom Bellinger stated flatly that no flights ever exceeded 500 mph. The dash 13 engine was not supercharged. With the planned but never installed dash 19 engine (with a remote supercharger) rated at 3,650 HP at 25,000 ft. (3,000 HP at sea level) a top speed of 504 mph at approximately 25,000 feet was expected. Planned further development of the dash 19 engine was expected to yield approximately 4,000 hp and a speed of 540 mph at 25,000 ft.

Other sources put the top speed at just over 500 MPH.
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Online The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2016, 08:21:29 PM »
I couldn't help thinking of Shackleton props and cowlings.

Slight deviation here but the Shackleton props and cowlings are "universal":

Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2016, 03:08:38 AM »

I read an article a few years ago in one of my Air-Britain quarterlies, it was about some air tests on a Mosquito which had been fitted with Lancaster nacelles. The Air Ministry had wanted to standardize engine packages so had instructed De Havilland to install them on a Mosquito, with the original leading edge radiator openings closed off using a section of leading edge shape. 

That would be interesting to model...if only to upset some purists. >:D

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2016, 08:30:15 AM »

I read an article a few years ago in one of my Air-Britain quarterlies, it was about some air tests on a Mosquito which had been fitted with Lancaster nacelles. The Air Ministry had wanted to standardize engine packages so had instructed De Havilland to install them on a Mosquito, with the original leading edge radiator openings closed off using a section of leading edge shape. 

That would be interesting to model...if only to upset some purists. >:D

There was a couple of photos of it that went with the article too --

Offline perttime

• The man has produced a Finnish Napier Heston Fighter...need we say more?
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2016, 02:29:28 PM »
"RareBear-like canopy," how about we go one step further and make The Gryphon-cat a stablemate of RareBear, known as ScatCat?  Here she is with a new canopy, and paint job, and I think she looks WAY better.  What do you think?
That works  :-*