Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Aero-space / Re: 1965 RCAF CUH-1D Huey
« Last post by elmayerle on Today at 04:07:18 AM »
Damn, those are both beautiful!!
Other / Re: Just some cool photos...nothing more, nothing less...
« Last post by elmayerle on Today at 04:02:18 AM »
I should point out the oil cooler air scoop on the aft upper door and the fairing behind it.  In 1/72, Hasegawa depicts it correctly, but I don't believe any other V-22 kits do.  TTBOMK, the Italieri 1/48 kit has been updated to include it.  Fore refrence, it is on the outboard side of the nacelle on both sides; the structure being mirrored between them.

Another interesting tidbit, the frame the forward lower door seals against at the front is the forward firewall of the engine compartment.  I even remember the station plane that one is at.
New Model Kit News/Reviews / Re: ModelCollect
« Last post by elmayerle on Today at 03:54:08 AM »
From the art, it looks like they might have cleaned up a few things I found wrong with the original.  I'll wait and see on that, though.  Be nice if you could open the APU exhaust doors and the auxiliary inlet doors on the top surafeces.
Profiles and Pixels / Re: Apophenia's Offerings
« Last post by apophenia on Today at 03:42:45 AM »
Thanks Brian!

Vickers' V-12 Evolves - The Vortex XII with 2-Stage Supercharger

Boulton-Pauls' 'Paladin S' concept was based upon a Vickers motor-cannon engine which never appeared. Vickers had considered a Vortex X with a modest 2-stage supercharger and engine-mounted cannon. But that cannon was to be a long-barrelled .75-inch weapon - not the 25.4-inch gun that Boulton-Paul wanted to arm its 'Paladin S'. In the end, Vickers design staff moved in a different direction.

The Vortex XII was a more radical departure from earlier Vickers V-12s. [1] The Vortex XII dispensed with the motor-cannon altogether in favour of an enlarged 2-stage, 2-speed supercharger. The space previously occupied by the cannon breech was now filled with an intercooler for that supercharger. The Vortex XII was also 'stroked', [2] producing a 2,078 cubic inch (34.06 L) displacement. With its supercharger optimized for medium-altitude, the Vortex XII would produce 1,650 hp at 15,000 feet. This was the engine that would equip the next Boulton-Paul fighter.

Boulton-Paul Fighters - From Paladin to Boarhound

Boulton-Paul Aircraft's productionized 'Paladin S' differed enough from the demonstrator - and from the Paladin V - to warrant a new name. The Air Ministry chose Boulton-Paul Boarhound as that new name. The new fighter was certainly bigger than its progenitors and perhaps it was that which inspired the Boarhound naming. There was no Boarhound 'prototype' per se - the first aircraft was also the first production Boarhound F.Mk.I. Noticeable changes from the 'Paladin S' conversion were the Boarhound's raised upper fuselage line, an all-round vision 'bubble' canopy, enlarged tailplane, revised coolant radiator bath, and quartet of wing-mounted Vickers Class 'J' .75-inch auto-cannons.

Top First production Boarhound F.Mk.I nearing completion at BP's Wolverhampton experimental shed.

In the event, only three Boarhound F.Mk.I fighters were ever completed. The Boarhound F.Mk.IA was very similar but intended to fulfilled a new role. Rather than a standard day fighter role, the Boarhound F.Mk.IA was tailored to interception at lower altitudes. Its Vortex XIIA's supercharger had cropped impellers to improve the fighter's low-level performance. The Boarhound F.Mk.IA stock-in-trade was to be catching Luftwaffe Focke-Wulf Fw 190 fighter-bombers during their 'tip-and-run' raids over southern England.

Boarhound F.Mk.IA all-up weight was kept to a minimum - the F.Mk.I's fuselage overload fuel tank was omitted and ammunition was reduced by 20 rounds per gun. The carburettor intake duct was fitted with a shorter, 'temperate' air filter and all ancillary equipment superfluous to intercepting German 'tip-and-run' raiders was deleted.

Bottom Boarhound F.Mk.IA of No.141 Squadron, RAF. This is an early-production Mk.IA distinguished by its longer-barrelled Vickers Class 'J' Mk.II cannons.

[1] The Vortex XI was a still-born project attempted to introduce a larger 2-stage supercharger while retaining a .75-inch motor-cannon capability.

[2] The earlier Vortex retained the Lorraine Sterna's 148 mm (5.83 inch) 'square' bore and stroke. The Vortex XII still had a 5.83-inch bore but stroke was increased to 6.5-inches (165 mm).
Land / Re: Anti-Aircraft: SPAAG/SAM Ideas and Inspiration
« Last post by dy031101 on Today at 03:39:40 AM »
This M167 can relocate under its own power.

I still think the Israeli TCM-20 mod. to be better-looking, but performance-wise can two old Oerlikons beat a single Vulcan?
MiG GB / Re: MiG's
« Last post by apophenia on Today at 03:39:35 AM »
Other / Re: Skyvan & banana, blue Re: hybrid aircraft/animals e.a.
« Last post by apophenia on Today at 03:38:28 AM »
Oh that is Great! And the Skyvan kit no longer a tail-dragger  :D
Aero-space / 1965 RCAF CUH-1D Huey
« Last post by The Big Gimper on Today at 03:37:51 AM »
Here is the partner in crime to my RCN CUH-1D Huey.

The CAF (post unification) purchased 10 UH-1Hs originally designed CUH-1H but became the CH-118. They only saw service with the Air Force.  This build is base on an earlier purchase (1965-ish) before unification where the RCN and RCAF get Hueys and they are painted in the service current colours.

This is 1/72 ECSI UH-1D. Nice little kit but real pain to build given all small and clear parts.  There are 21+parts for the interior. Only 20 Parts for the air frame.

This scheme is based on the CH-113 Labrador as seen in 1965-68. Note the new Canadian Flag on the tail.  Since there are no known RCAF CUH-1D decal sheets, I used the Leading Edge H-21/H-34 sheet. I had to cut the lightning bolt decal into 5 pieces. Did I curse when building this kit? Absolutely yes. The upper side of the blades were grey. I'm quite chuffed as to how it turned out. Painted with a hairy stick.

RCAF-CUH-1D-03
by Big Gimper, on Flickr

RCAF-CUH-1D-02
by Big Gimper, on Flickr

RCAF-CUH-1D-01
by Big Gimper, on Flickr

Two-Hueys-01
by Big Gimper, on Flickr
Love them ... but especially that Habsburg Empire turboprop Gina  :-*
New Model Kit News/Reviews / Re: ModelCollect
« Last post by GTX_Admin on Today at 03:19:02 AM »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10