Author Topic: Thunderbolt finished.  (Read 7877 times)

Offline Feldmarschall Zod

• Kitbasher extroinadaire
  • Holding Pattern
  • I hope that's not the sound he makes...
Thunderbolt finished.
« on: January 13, 2015, 04:14:35 AM »
Some may remember this model I built over ten years ago. Maybe 2003. It is the DML M4A3E8,based upon the Italeri M4A3 hull. The turret is from either the M26 or M26A1 from DML. The 90 barrel is from Jordi Rubio. The markings are from a Verlinden set. There was only one Thunderbolt name.

I may add on a canvas cover for the mantlet. There are some areas that need weld beads. Not sure on how to add them over a painted area. Hoping to get a good weathering on them. I may end up getting a MIG olive drab filter set.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 06:49:48 AM by Feldmarschall Zod »
Every time you eat celery,an angel vomits in a gas station bathroom. Tanks rule. I know the load is late,but the voices tell me to pull over and clean the guns.

Offline MaxHeadroom

• The man has built a jet Stuka, need we say more?
Re: Redoing Thunderbolt.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 04:44:33 AM »
Looks quite good... right out of the production line of the factory.

You can give it a much more real-live-look: aging and weathering the wodden boxes and gas-cans, giving some shadowing to the baggage, applying some dust and dirt to tracks, wheels and suspension and some dusting and used-look to the rest of the surface.
Then you will have a real good close-to-reality model.

I beg for pardon for my open words.

Norbert

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 07:36:11 AM »
Looks quite good... right out of the production line of the factory.

You can give it a much more real-live-look: aging and weathering the wodden boxes and gas-cans, giving some shadowing to the baggage, applying some dust and dirt to tracks, wheels and suspension and some dusting and used-look to the rest of the surface.
Then you will have a real good close-to-reality model.

I beg for pardon for my open words.

Norbert
Thanks Norbert. :) I am looking for some good filters right now for weathering. I do want to add a tow cable as well.
Every time you eat celery,an angel vomits in a gas station bathroom. Tanks rule. I know the load is late,but the voices tell me to pull over and clean the guns.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 04:53:08 AM »
You've got a real talent for stowage, Zod!

Always a treat to see one of your updates!

Brian da Basher

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 06:40:23 AM »
You've got a real talent for stowage, Zod!

Always a treat to see one of your updates!

Brian da Basher

Thanks Brian.

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 06:40:05 AM »
Messing around with MIG filters. As an fyi,the filters adhere better over a matte coat.

• Holding Pattern
Re: Thunderbolt finished.
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 06:54:01 AM »
Calling it finished. I am not happy with the way the washes turned out on the stowage. But as far as the rest goes,I like it. One thing I learned with the filters from the MIG set,they seem to stick better over a matte surface vs a gloss.

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 09:04:00 AM »
Great work! I very much like it!

Cheers,

Logan

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 09:07:25 AM »
Great work! I very much like it!

Cheers,

Logan
Thanks Logan.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 09:24:12 AM »
Interesting and educational too.  The original images have a rather nice green and after the washes it all looks dirty like the dust that accumulates on things when you drive on dirt roads.  Fighting the urge to sneeze thinking about all of that dust ;)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 04:23:28 AM »
Interesting and educational too.  The original images have a rather nice green and after the washes it all looks dirty like the dust that accumulates on things when you drive on dirt roads.  Fighting the urge to sneeze thinking about all of that dust ;)

Thanks Jeffry.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 06:32:56 AM »
Like Jeff said and weathering is at right point to enhance character of movie tank :)
Difficult thing with armor weathering is a little to a lot works in different cases.
I think you did right amount in this case.

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 07:31:38 AM »
Like Jeff said and weathering is at right point to enhance character of movie tank :)
Difficult thing with armor weathering is a little to a lot works in different cases.
I think you did right amount in this case.

Thanks finsrin.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 10:43:59 AM »
The weathering on the engine deck and top of the turret look especially nice. I have that same Tamiya stowage kit! You made a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Where's teh ammo crate from. I have a couple but no idea where they came from.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2015, 11:48:59 AM »
Yep that works

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2015, 07:51:21 AM »
The weathering on the engine deck and top of the turret look especially nice. I have that same Tamiya stowage kit! You made a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Where's teh ammo crate from. I have a couple but no idea where they came from.

Thanks Frank. The crates are the K Ration crates that usually come with a Tamiya Sherman kit.

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2015, 07:53:04 AM »