Author Topic: WHIF's found on internet  (Read 165506 times)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: WHIF's found on internet
« Reply #300 on: April 03, 2018, 04:28:14 AM »
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #301 on: April 03, 2018, 04:56:59 AM »
Raiders of the Lost Shopping Cart?   ;)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline M.A.D

• Also likes a bit of arse...
  • Wrote a great story about a Christmas Air Battle
« Reply #302 on: April 13, 2018, 11:19:17 AM »
Ok, I stumbled across this nice piece of work - both model and backstory, whilst researching between the Dassault/Dornier Alpha Jet or British Aerospace Hawk for my 'Alternative ADF ORBAT'.......

Dornier Alpha Jet C

by Dizzyfugu
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dizzyfugu/7047788281

Even though the Alpha Jet A was suitable in the ground attack role and had even been tested in aerial combat against helicopters in 1979, the German Luftwaffe decided in the mid-80ies that – facing the Cold War threat from the east – a more powerful but still economic plane for the close attack role, esp. against hardened ground targets and attack helicopters like the Mi-24 would be needed. Even though such "Alternate Close Support" versions of the Alpha Jet were available at that time, even though these were modified two-seaters. Such planes were bought by Cameroon and Egypt, but from the German Luftwaffe a specialized, more capable plane with a higher strike and survival potential was requested.
In 1986, Dornier developed a respective specialized version, called the Alpha Jet C (for "combat"). This plane was heavily modified, optimized for the ground attack role. It featured a new, single-seated nose section with an armoured cockpit in a much higher position than on the original two-seater. The Alpha jet C version's prominent, pointed nose quickly gave it among its test pilots the nickname "Nasenbär" (Coati).
The new space was used for avionics and an internal Oerlikon 35mm cannon – a variant of the same cannon used in the Gepard anti aircraft tank, firing armour piercing shells with a muzzle velocity of 1,440 m/s (4,700 ft/s) and a range of 5.500m. Avionics includecd SAGEM ULISS 81 INS, a Thomson-CSF VE-110 HUD, a TMV630 laser rangefinder in a modified nose and a TRT AHV 9 radio altimeter, with all avionics linked through a digital databus.
New wings were developed, with a thicker profile and less sweep, and non-jettisonable wing tip tanks as well as two more weapon hardpoints (for a total of six, plus one under the fuselage) added. The landing gear was reinforced for a higher TOW and operation on improvised runways. Fuselage and tail externally looked much the same as the original Alpha Jet A, but internally most structures were reinforced and technical modules placed in new positions.
The C version was from the start powered by two more powerful Larzac 04-C20 turbofans which would also be used in an update for the Luftwaffe’s Alpha Jet As. The hydraulic system was doubled, so that both engines could run separately, and kevlar and titanium armour plating added to vital areas around the lower hull. 
The first prototype 98+52 made its maiden flight at Friedrichshafen on 1st of June 1988. It was officially allocated to the JaboG 43 in Oldenburg, but actually spent almost all the time at the Luftwaffe’s Waffentechnische Dienststelle (Flight test center) WTD 61 in Manching near Munich, where it underwent a thorough testing program. More than once the prototype was transferred to Beja, Portugal, for weapon tests and training, as well as direct comparison with the standard Alpha Jet A and other NATO planes. A second airframe was built in 1987 but only used for static tests, system integration and finally damage resilience tests, after which it was written off and scrapped.
While the Alpha Jet C showed high agility at low level and a high survival potential in a hostile battlefield environment, the prototype remained a one-off. In the end, the German Luftwaffe did not want to add another type to its arsenal, despite its similarity with the standard Alpha Jet. Export chances for such a specialized, yet light aircraft were considered as low, since modified Alpha Jet versions were already available and other planes like the AMX or BAe Hawk offered more versatility, and were simply more up to date.
Hence, further development was stopped in September 1989, also under the influence of political changes and the breakdown of the Eastern Block. Even though 98+52 was kept at Manching as a test aircraft for various tasks, the plane was eventually lost in a crash due to hydraulic failure on 3rd of March 1993 – the pilot escaped safely, but 98+52 totally written off.

General characteristics:
Crew: 1
Length: 12.60 m (41 ft 4 in)
Wingspan: 10.73 m (35 ft 2 1/2 in)
Height: 4.24 m (13 ft 11 in)
Wing area: 213.7 ft² (19.85 m²)
Airfoil: NACA 23015 (modified) at root, NACA 4412 (modified) at tip
Empty weight: 3.680 kg (8.105 lbs)
Loaded weight: 5.900 kg (13.000 lbs)
Max. takeoff weight: 8.200 kg (18.060 lbs)
Powerplant: 2 × SNECMA Turbomeca Larzac 04-C20 turbofans, 14,12 kN (3.176 lbs) each

Performance
Maximum speed: 860 km/h (465 knots, 536 mph)
Stall speed: 167 km/h (90 knots, 104 mph) (flaps and undercarriage down)
Combat radius: 610 km (329 nmi, 379 mi) lo-lo-lo profile, w. underwing weapons incl. two drop tanks
Ferry range: 2,940 km (1,586 nmi, 1,827 mi)
Service ceiling: 14,630 m (48,000 ft)
Rate of climb: 57 m/s (11,220 ft/min)

Armament
1× 35 mm (1.38 in) Oerlikon KDA cannon w/150 rds under the lower forward fuselage, offset to starport side.
Seven hardpoints (one under fuselage, three under each wing) for a total external load of up to 3.085 kg (6.800 lbs), including AGM-65 Maverick, Matra rocket pods with 18× SNEB 68 mm rockets each, a variety of bombs (such as the Hunting BL755 cluster bombs) or Drop tanks for extended range, and AIM-9 Sidewinder or ASRAAM for self-defence

Well done Dizzyfugu!

M.A.D
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 02:10:15 PM by M.A.D »

Offline M.A.D

• Also likes a bit of arse...
  • Wrote a great story about a Christmas Air Battle
« Reply #303 on: April 13, 2018, 11:20:37 AM »

Well volks me Greg, that's a neat creation!  ;D

M.A.D

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #304 on: September 14, 2018, 12:01:56 PM »
Found while googling. Is this a full whiff or is inspired on a RW project?

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #305 on: September 14, 2018, 06:41:34 PM »
I like this.  But the Me-262 has a triangular shaped fuselage which could be a problem. Will investigate.
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Twiddle

• No, it's pronounced Frankensteen
« Reply #306 on: September 24, 2018, 05:57:19 PM »
From Facebook - Gold Reef Scale Modellers group

Done by Peter Molnar

Kit instructions are not acceptable - let the imagination howl forth !

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #307 on: October 23, 2018, 04:28:49 AM »
A rather interesting what-if wheeled fighting vehicle found at Modellversium.De:

The 'Alacrán' built by Marcos Felipe (1:35th scale)
Click on html or thumbnail to see more of this model. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #308 on: December 08, 2018, 10:36:25 PM »
This smells of being French. Attendez

From February 1938.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 10:38:16 PM by Story »

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #309 on: December 21, 2018, 10:18:48 AM »
How the heck do you steer that thing?  It looks like a snowmobile on steroids but without the front skis.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #310 on: December 21, 2018, 11:49:42 AM »
Probably by twisting the front of the track, like some of the Russians BT tanks did.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #311 on: December 21, 2018, 10:22:58 PM »
Just lean it to the left or right I think.

Like you would do with this.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #312 on: February 27, 2019, 02:28:14 PM »
Found at the ARC:

1/48th scale What-If F-106F Block 70 built by Scott S. aka Desertpilot
Click on image or link to view the article at ARC

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #313 on: March 02, 2019, 01:47:11 AM »

By James Carr

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #314 on: April 11, 2019, 12:19:38 AM »
From Modelversium.de today(20190410) Click on thumbnail or html to view at Modelversium.de :

What-If/WHIF 1:35th scale M47 Patton built by Marcos Felipe

A very much modified M47 from the looks of it. 

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #315 on: April 11, 2019, 12:57:45 AM »
Google Translation of Marcos' spiel:

Quote from:  Marcos Felipe from Modelversium.de via Google Translate
Today I show you an Italeri M47, which I built about five years ago and which has now undergone an overhaul. Pan, chassis and chains remained unchanged. I have redesigned the upper and rear sides of the tub and above all the tower. In addition there was an additional armor on both sides. Everything was again made of cardboard, plastic plates, parts of pens and ink rollers. This time I built the smoke cups out of parts of an old telephone. The entire vehicle was first painted in gray and then aged with ink, pastels and acrylic paints.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #316 on: April 11, 2019, 07:47:16 AM »
Nice work! Can’t believe there is an M-47 under there.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #317 on: April 13, 2019, 04:50:53 PM »
Nice work! Can’t believe there is an M-47 under there.

Me too.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #318 on: May 15, 2019, 01:47:25 AM »
From 58th Shizuoka Hobby Show:

« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 01:59:53 AM by GTX_Admin »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #319 on: May 15, 2019, 01:55:52 AM »
Another:

« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 02:00:05 AM by GTX_Admin »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #320 on: May 15, 2019, 09:08:08 AM »
I like them! 8) :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline perttime

• The man has produced a Finnish Napier Heston Fighter...need we say more?
« Reply #321 on: May 19, 2019, 12:21:35 AM »
Edward Lodewijk (Eddie) Van Halen might be a familiar name for those who follow(ed) rock music, especially in 1980s. A pretty handy guy with a guitar and played some famous solos. He started modifying his Stratocaster guitars because none was quite what he wanted, out of the box. So he made what became known as the "Frankenstein" guitar, or Frankenstrat.

On the Telecaster Discussion Page Reissue forum (tdpri.com), member fasteddie455 has just released his What-If version, based on the premise that Eddie Van Halen took his screwdrivers, soldering iron, tape and paint to a Telecaster guitar, instead ( http://www.tdpri.com/threads/copy-of-eddie-van-halens-tele.950801/ ). The guitar is reproduced with appropriate weathering (termed relicing in guitar circles), down to dings, scratches and some burn marks.

For reference: a real iteration of the Frankenstrat:

fasteddie455's Frankentele:

A magazine cover that proves the Frankentele is real:

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #322 on: May 19, 2019, 02:40:58 AM »
Random online find:

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #323 on: July 22, 2019, 03:53:50 AM »
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #324 on: December 10, 2019, 08:46:28 PM »
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...